PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to put in a diaper bag?

sweet_pea
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Hello,

Obviously from this question you can tell I'm a first-time mom-to-be! :)

This sounds a little silly, but I'm wondering what items I'll need in a diaper bag when going out with a newborn. Diapers, of course, and wipes, a change of clothing, burp cloths...am I forgetting anything important?

I was given a tote-bag diaper bag which has a plastic-coated changing pad that goes with it. I also remember reading on these boards that there is some kind of insert you can get to hold your own stuff separately from baby's, and to quickly transfer it from one bag to another -- could someone remind me what those are called and where you got yours?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
You'll get a million different answers ranging from everything short of the kitchen sink to the bare minimum. You'll come up with your own system through experience.

I am a light packer. I consider my car to be a giant diaper bag though amd all those extra things people lug with them every where are probably in my car in my bigger diaper bag. The bag I grab to go around and about is either my Lands' End Little Tripper or something similar.

I used a carrier like the Diapees/ Wipees (puch that holds diapers and wipes) and I put 2-3 diapers in there, a baggie of about 10 wipes, a roll of those Sassy brand biodegradeable diaper disposal sacks, and 2-3 Sassy brand disposable changing pads. I would have liked to have my regular changing pad but it didn't fit in my pouch very well. With ds1 I used The First Years' Fold and Go changing pad that had zippered compartments for wipes and diapers. That was very handy too. Both are good methods of organizing diapering supplies b/c both you can just grab out of your bag when needed.

I also had a burp cloth, change of clothes for ds, a receiving blanket, and a few breast pads in case of leaks for me. That's all I needed for a breastfeeding newborn. Oh, and when he started taking a pacifier I bought this JJ Cole pacifier pod that attached to my diaper bag strap. very handy so I didn't have to go rooting through the bag for one. $8 well spent.

Some people really like having everything with them and some don't. You really will figure out what you really need and want.

Beth

arivecchi
05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
My list for my 3 month old babe:

diapers
wipes
extra outfit
diaper cream
formula bottles
pacifier (a couple in case he drops them)
hat (if it's chilly out)
burp cloth

That's about it. If you are BF, you will need BF cover (if you use one), BF pads.

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
That's about it. If you are BF, you will need BF cover (if you use one), BF pads.

I know you said if you need one, just wanted to say that I found nursing camis a great way to go. Never felt a need for a cover. There are some cute covers nowadays though. Much better than using a blanket or something.

Beth

swissair81
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
tissues
i like to have a nasal aspirator, but maybe that's just me

ang79
05-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I have an infant and a toddler, but minus the toddler dipes, this is what I would pack for a breastfed infant:

I use a JuJuBe BeQuick stocked with four sz. 1 dipes, a soft wipes pack (swipes case by Mamas Milk), hand sanitizer, chico bag (in case clothes get dirty or I just need a spare bag while shopping), small change pad

Receiving blanket and burp cloth
small cosmetic bag w/ first aid items (infant tylenol, comb, nail clippers, bandaids, etc.)
a few infant toys
pacifier and case
mei tai or pouch sling
spare set of clothes in case there is a diaper blowout!
hat and/or jacket, depending on the weather

and my mommy things (wallet, cell phone, nursing pads, advil, tic tacs, hairbrush, etc.)

Oh, for the first few months I also usually carried a spare t-shirt or nursing cami for myself, as I had an excessive milk supply and either the baby would leak on me while nursing or I would leak while I was out and I hate wearing soggy clothes!

srhs
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Lots of good tips from PPs already. The first few months, I'd recommend a change of clothes in the bag AND another in car.

SM23Mama21
05-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I also like to have on had some infant Tylenol. I've needed it twice now and didn't have it on me.

aajamu
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
For a newborn I carried:

3 diapers, travel pack of wipes
change of clothes - onesie, pants, socks, hat
bottle bag with bottle (not necessary if you BF obviously)
medicine kit - baby tylenol, a few bandaids, hand sanitizer, diaper cream
Envirosax bag (for dirty clothes, grocery store)
+ my stuff - wallet, keys, chapstick

Later on I carried some teething stuff and a few toys. Now I carry coloring books, crayons, stuff to keep kids busy in car and at restaurants, so my bag can be quite packed up.

newg
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I def. think it changes as your baby grows....but I remember having 3-4 extra diapers, wipes, change of clothes (or two, depending on how long we'd be gone), nipple shield, burp cloth, recieving blanket, hand sanitizer, extra paci, nursing cover, extra weather essentials (cold weather: hat, jacket...warm; sun hat, sun block)
Now the BF/newborn stuff is gone...replaced with a snack, water and toys
I actually carry my stuff in a seperate bag because I'm diabetic and it's just easier for me to keep my stuff and dds stuff seperate.
Like pp said..you will figure out your own system...what works best for you!

sweet_pea
05-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks so much for all the responses! I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but it is very, very helpful to hear how other people do it. There are some items that I wouldn't have thought of taking along but which sound really useful to have on hand.

What do you use to carry "mommy stuff" separately from baby's?

swissair81
05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I use a ju-ju-be be quick pouch to put all my stuff in & i transfer it into whatever bag i happen to be using. if i want to pack light, i slip a diaper and a few wipes into it & just take that.