PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for single jogging stroller

arivecchi
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
My DH (who is 6 feet tall) wants a jogging stroller to take our 29 month old with him while he jogs. I would appreciate recommendations!

PeppyParents
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi,

If the only need is jogging, then definitely look for a stroller with a fixed front wheel (meaning, it can't steer), with all the wheels at least 16" in height.

If you think you may also use it for powerwalking, parks, etc., then consider one that has 16" back wheels and a 12" front wheel.

For pavement running only, you can get smoother tires.

For trail/gravel/pavement mixed, look for knobby tires.

Also, a big thing to think about is headroom, since your child is already 29 months!

At 6 feet tall, most jogging strollers will fit him just fine.

Fixed wheel suggestions: BOB SUS (trail/gravel/pavement) or BOB SUS D'Lux (pavement-only). Baby Jogger Performance model is a great stroller with big 20" wheels, but it has a little less headroom than the BOB.

Swivel wheel suggestions: Baby Jogger Summit 360 (a bit more headroom than BOB), BOB Revolution

If you live in or near a major city and you're on a tight budget, you can often find used BOB or Baby Jogger strollers in good condition on Craigslist. That'd be way better than spending the same money on a new but inferior model.

I hope that helps!

arivecchi
05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks. That is very helpful. We live in Chicago and the sidewalks are bumpy in certain places. DH is training for triathlons, so he would need it for long distance running. Our child is tall so we definitely need a lot of headroom. Is a Bob our best bet?

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Wait, if he's training for triathlons, can't he use a Burley and take your DC biking also?? There is a jogger wheel attachment. My DH loves biking with our kids.

arivecchi
05-14-2009, 11:05 AM
He actually uses a special super light bike for triathlons, so you can't attach a Burley or anything like it to it (it would break the bike). He already has a CoPilot Limo for his mountain bike. We have a Valco Runabout Trimode, but I assume that's not great for serious jogging. Would the Baby Jogger Performance or the Bob Sport Utility D'Lux be better for a tall child?

PeppyParents
05-15-2009, 01:15 AM
The BOB Performance has a tad less headroom than the Bob SUS D'Lux.

Your DH may actually prefer the BOB Ironman... the seat and frame is identical to the SUS D'Lux. But the Ironman has a slightly stiffer suspension and narrower wheels with slick tires for a bit more edge on the performance.