PDA

View Full Version : Kenmore toaster oven DANGEROUS!

strollerqueen
05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
It caught on fire the other day! Flames shooting out! DH had put two pieces of bread in, then walked away (I always watch it.) The kids ran out the door screaming, as the house filled with smoke. I got it out quickly, but of course, it could have been much worse. I attempted to take it back, but Sears said they never heard of anything like that happening, and don't accept returns past 90 days. Ugh. I tried to post a warning on the Sears Review board, but it has yet to show up, no surprise. What should I do next? I don't want anyone's house to burn down from it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
It happened with our toaster oven too. It had been too long since we cleaned out the crumbs at the bottom and they caught on fire. I didn't so much see it as a design flwa of the toaster oven though maybe I should have.

Beth

strollerqueen
05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I was wondering if they are inherently dangerous, due to the nature of their design. Like maybe DH had placed the bread too close to the heating element? Not sure if that is what happened, or the bread got too hot, or...

o_mom
05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Report it to the CPSC: http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

Call Sears corporate as well - they are usually much more responsive than the stores IME.

DrSally
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I always had that fear before buying a toaster oven, b/c I know they have a reputation for catching on fire. How Scary! THanks for the reminder, too, about emptying the crumb tray. Yours could've been something totally different, who knows?

Momof3Labs
05-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, toaster ovens have a reputation for catching on fire.

strollerqueen
05-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, toaster ovens have a reputation for catching on fire.

Thank you, I didn't know that. I wonder how/why they can sell a product that is so inherently dangerous? We worry about lead in our children's toys and chemicals in the plastic bottles and stroller brakes painted red and so many other safety things related to their gear. But fire? That's taking it to a whole new level.

Momof3Labs
05-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Those Glade plug-in type things are bad too. My DH is a firefighter and can't stand those things!

khm
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Those Glade plug-in type things are bad too. My DH is a firefighter and can't stand those things!

When we moved in the previous owner left a plug-in in the living room. It was very fancy / expensive looking - metal and cut glass. (ie, it wasn't a Glade). I vaguely noticed it for a couple days before going to unplug it.

The formerly white socket was charred brown/black and completely melted! Can you imagine if we'd have been in the house for mere days only to have it burn down b/c of their stupid plug-in!! Thank goodness no fire actually started. I'd have been so angry with myself, because I did notice it, but didn't unplug it immediately. We later found another socket in the kitchen that was melted, to a much lesser degree, but still melted.

re: toasters, another thing to be careful about is when you cut a bagel or an english muffin - make sure there are no raggedy edges that will hit the element. I've never had a fire, but once kicked up a bit of smoke with a eng muffin that I cut poorly.

DrSally
05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Another reason not to use those plug-ins--I heard they emit Phathlates.

wellyes
05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Resurrecting an older post just to say I *loooove* my toaster oven and I don't think it is more dangerous than a regular toaster! Heating element + accumulated crumbs = potential fire. Having said that, we've use our toaster ovens every day for years and years and never experienced a fire.

I love toaster ovens because DH is on a gluten-free diet & this appliance helps to ensure that the wheaty crumbs from my bagels and waffles don't intermingle with his rice-based breads.

Thank you, I didn't know that. I wonder how/why they can sell a product that is so inherently dangerous? We worry about lead in our children's toys and chemicals in the plastic bottles and stroller brakes painted red and so many other safety things related to their gear. But fire? That's taking it to a whole new level.

I dunno, I don't blame the appliance..... my personal experience with making the house fill with smoke is confined to trying to make popcorn in a cast-iron skillet. It's not that cast iron skillets are dangerous, it's the **I** should not be trusted with one LOL!

brittone2
05-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Yikes. We don't own one but I've considered one. That's freaky.

Of course, on Sunday I was attempting to cook an Indian dish from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook and my spices caught fire. Thankfully DH was home as my stockpot literally erupted into a huge flame as I was standing right there watching. It wasn't like I left it unattended. I had to use whole cardamom pods, and a few other whole spices, and the buggers caught fire in the hot oil. Thank goodness DH has long arms and carried the flaming pot into the driveway safely. I managed to create my own kitchen disaster!

WatchingThemGrow
05-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Gosh, I missed this thread before. Makes me not feel so bad when I see the temporary cleaning lady we have spending time cleaning our toaster oven. I should be grateful. And...I'm glad I can't find any more of those old yummy-smelling tropical fruit plug-ins. And...I'm glad DH will gladly visit the local Indian buffet even though it seems spendy, whenever we have the craving. Kitchen fires are no good. Glad everyone is okay!