PDA

View Full Version : In search of a new diaper bag...can you help me? This is what I'm looking for:

jerseygirl07067
05-13-2009, 11:51 PM
- light interior without the black hole effect
- stylish looking - doesn't look like a diaper bag
- a separate compartment for my own stuff - keys, cell phone, wallet
- lightweight, or at least not super heavy
- under $100 bucks
- roomy enough for a newborn (I'm BFing) with some extra room for toddler stuff (crayons, small snacks, etc)

I'm so out of the diaper bag loop. A few years ago when I was on the diaper bag forum more, the Fleurville and Skip Hop bags were all the rage. I didn't like the regular Skip Hops because they were thin and deep and to me, had that black hole effect. But they have more bags now. I didn't know if any fit the above criteria.

I wound up buying a very simple Chester Diaper Backpack which I love, despite the black hote effect. It's lightweight and holds a lot. But I'm itching to buy something new. :)

ang79
05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I was on this same search about 6 months ago when I was pregnant with DD2. Here is what I've tried and liked. And I bought all mine new or EUC for under $60 :)

Babymel Amanda or Fleurville Hana - very similar hobo-style bags, lightweight, stuffable, lighter interiors, lots of pockets, can wear as a shoulder bag or cross body. Love the hidden insulated bottle pockets on the Amanda!

Lexie Barnes Darling - extremely lightweight, two exterior bottle pockets, can wear messenger style, adequate pockets. No longer made but pretty easy to find on the babybags yahoo group or other boards.

Fleurville Lark - Lightweight tote-style bag, nice pockets, very stuffable

Vera Bradley Cargo Sling - discontinued so you can get a great deal on them right now! Can fit sippies or bottles in the exterior side pockets, very lightweight, adequate pockets. Not quite as big as the Amanda I mentioned above, but I can still pack the neccessities in it for everyday errands/trips.

I also have several JuJuBe bags that I use for different reasons. Lightcolored interiors, lots of organization, a bit on the heavier side but this hasn't bothered me yet. I use a Packabe convertable backpack when I need to pack for a whole day out or pack extras like lunch or the mei tai. I use a MiniBe backpack when I want hands free and have baby in a carrier on the front. Good size for short trips out. I also have a BeSmall and BeSmart, but these are on the smaller size too, for use with one kid or short trips.

I tried an OiOi Hobo but it didn't quite hold everything I needed for my toddler and newborn and felt very boxy. I had a Fleurville Sling Tote that fit everything I needed, good strap length, but I just didn't use it as much as my other bags (not a fan of the laminated outside - looks too diaper baggish to me).

There are sooooo many options out there, good luck! I'd suggest joining the babybags yahoo group and finding a couple of gently used bags at a good price to try out to see what works best for you. But I will warn you, I thought I only needed one bag until I joined that group and now I have several and want even more!

aajamu
05-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I think the Skip Hop Studio Tote might fit your bill. The interior is tan. It is stylish and looks more like a work bag or larger handbag. It is extremely well organized (lots of useful pockets versus ridiculously small pockets)and has 2-3 compartments you can use just for mom stuff. Nice back pocket for crayons and coloring books. Under $90, too. It is not too heavy but it fits a ton so it can get heavy. And it has built in stroller clips and FOUR bottle/sippy pockets. I loved mine when I had it - it was perfect when I had two in diapers, but a bit too big now. I was impressed how well made it was. FWIW, no other Skip Hop bag (other than the Studio) has worked out for me. Didn't like the open top of the Duo, Dash was too small, Via bags were poor quality.

The Fleurville Hana and Babymel Amanda are nice bags too, I have to agree, but there is no way on earth I could have fit everything I needed for 2 in diapers plus snacks the way I pack/overpack. I can't even fit what I need in those bags now, even though second DS is potty trained and first DS is 18 months and no longer having blowouts.

swissair81
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a ju-ju-be packabe and a storksak gigi. both are spacious with light colored interiors. i bought both of them on ebay for less than what they normally go for. i'm very satisfied with them.

jerseygirl07067
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks! I really like the styling of the Skip Hop Studio Tote and am glad it has tan interior. I am going to see if my BRU has them, but I am also going to check out the other ones mentioned above too!

jerseygirl07067
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
I was just on the Skip Hop site and they have another one called the City Chic. How does it compare to the Studio Tote? I liked the styling and the Columbus Circle pattern they have.

tiapam
05-20-2009, 12:07 AM
LeSportsac Deluxe Everyday would probably work. Some of their prints do have a dark interior, so you just have to avoid those.

ahrimie
05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I found the PERFECT bag at Marshall's the other day: LeSportSac by Stella McCartney. It fits all of the necessities you described: it's HUGE but lightweight, lots of compartments, and a place for your personal things that actually clips out too. It normally retails for $370 but it was oly $70! The color itself is like a like peach, a neutral color.... so though I don't need it, I couldnt help myself!

seedoubleyou
06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't use diaper bags instead I use an interior organizer that has pockets for everything and I switch bags daily. Like you I can't stand bags that scream "diaper bag" I prefer transforming existing bags from Kidrobot (my fav they're all cuuuuute), Lesportsac, Kipling, and Kathy Van Zeeland. Kidrobot totes are a tad expensive even when marked down I get mine under $85 nett from ebay.