PDA

View Full Version : Baby's first birthday cake

Riley's mama
05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I would really like to make my daughter's birthday cake but am of course wanting to make sure that she will be able to have some! I have been making her food and it is almost always organic. She has been great with everything and seems to like everything! Also, she has not had any bad reactions to wheat, egg yolks, yogurt, and all the fruits and veggies that I have given her.

So, I am just looking for suggestions - has anyone made a good (sorta) healthy baby birthday cake?

TIA!!

MommyAllison
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I've done homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for both of my kids first birthday cakes. I can post the recipe if you want - there is lots of "stuff" in it, like pineapple, coconut (I omitted from DS' cake), nuts (I always omit), and of course carrots...it is super yummy!

Melaine
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I just did whole wheat banana bread and plain whipped cream (no sugar added, just whipped up the cream for looks) for frosting. They liked it, and didn't know what they were missing, so it worked for us.

Riley's mama
05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Those are both great ideas since she loves carrots and bananas!! Did you use egg whites or just yolks?

Melaine
05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
I used the whole egg. I think at that point we were just avoiding nuts, IIRC.
Here's a pic. We just cut the loaf in half and let them each have one little square cake, then had pound cake or something for all the adults.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/BirthdayCakes.jpg