PDA

View Full Version : colgate classica 1 - nylon??

Sweetum
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm looking to buy a crib mattress and have decided on the colgate classica 1. however, there seem to be 2 versions of that: one called "Classica I Crib Mattress " ($150) and the other called "Nylon Cover Classica I Crib Mattress " ($120). The difference in price is not much if only I knew what I'd be paying the additional $30 for!! I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the difference is. Since the nylon cover one is cheaper, I'm inclined to go with it. I'd be happy if someone who owns this particular mattress can tell me more about it. Btw, I have been reading some posts about this, but none of these are very clear :( The description on the websites that are selling them say that the "Classica I Crib Mattress " ($150) is " made with non-allergenic, orthopedic foam with ventilated border and a waterproof, nylon reinforced triple laminate cover " whereas the "Nylon Cover Classica I Crib Mattress " ($120) is "made with non-allergenic, orthopedic foam with ventilated border and a waterproof, nylon phthalates free cover". Not sure what this means. Really really looking for help.

TIA
-SunshineAndMe

mwrn1
06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
i agree about the confusion between the 2 as that is what i am trying to decide as well. i just read on the greatbeginnings website that the "nylon phthalates free" means that "there is no plastic touching the baby's sensitive skin". It also says that means it is a more natural crib mattress alternative.

The Classica I Crib Mattress says like you stated it has a "waterproof, nylon reinforced triple laminate cover". It seems to me they are obviously both nylon, it's just that the Classica I with Nylon Cover is just made with more "natural" materials for those who would like that alternative. I'm with you....it's basically the same mattress and I'm not getting a lot different in quality for $30 more. I say we go with the nylon cover that is phthalates free for the $30 less? I am going to be using an ultimate crib sheet anyway so it really won't matter how waterproof the cover is or how comfortable the covering is for the baby! Hope that helped some, but then again you might have already found this out in your own research..!

btw, i think i'm going to get mine from babycatalog.com. they have a coupon code right now for free shipping over $99 and 10% off your order! It's BCSV10

Lila
06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Posting a separate thread on this. Let me know if you can help!

katieqp
06-05-2009, 01:27 PM
It's kind of annoying that the book doesn't specify which one they recommend.

Sweetum
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks MWRN1 for your thoughts about this - I agree that it may not be of much consequence if I put an ultimate crib sheet or any other waterproof mattress pad over it.
I did end up ordering the nylon cover one (the cheaper one to be clear). It arrived yesterday and I'll be setting up the crib and mattress this weekend. Although I won't be able to compare with the other mattress, I'll definitely check back in to give my initial review on this one.
Oh, btw, I did end up ordering at baby catalog - free shipping and 10% off were offered on both sites, but the coupon only worked on this one. Besides, great beginnings wasn't going to ship it till 4-6 weeks, and I checked with baby catalog and they said they had it in stock and it arrived in about a week's time.

mwrn1
06-07-2009, 03:35 PM
you're welcome. i'm glad to know something i put on here helped somebody! i ordered mine from baby catalog that day as I said, but i haven't received mine yet. maybe it's because i live in iowa. i think their site said it would take 3-4 days to ship after being processed. i expect it sometime this week or next. my crib should be arriving around the same time so it should work out great!

star04
06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
The cheaper mattress (Nylon Cover Classica I Crib Mattress from The Colgate Mattress Corp) isn't listed on Colgate's website. I'm wondering if it's the older version of the higher priced version, especially since the cheaper is "on sale" from orig. $170. The higher priced mattress (Classica I Crib Mattress) is:
- "covered with tough, three-ply vinyl",
- has "eyelet venting holes around the sides so it can "breathe" and refresh itself", and
- "meets all of the new flammability standards".
The nylon version doesn't have these feature listed...

Sweetum
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I checked both great beginnings and baby catalog, and found out that the only difference was the nylon vs 3ply vinyl cover. here's the link from great beginnings: http://www.greatbeginningsonline.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=41&ITEM_ID=27220

I know it doesn't talk about the eyelets thing, but it does seem like both have them.

I didn't have time to assemble the crib the weekend, but will post my review as promised as soon as I do.

mcmanutm
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure if this helps or not (probably not because I'm still confused) but I ordered the Nylon Covered Classica I foam mattress listed on babycatalog.com for $119 (I actually was able to get it cheaper b/c of a 10% off coupon code). I just received it in the mail today. Anyway, this is what it says on the red tag:

Cradletyme by Colgate
Classica I- Nylon Cover
-Extra Firm- Polyurethane Foam Crib Mattress (Made with Barrier-Pro flame retardant wrap)

Benefits for Baby: Comfort, Safety, Firmness
-Orthopedic Type Mattress, Non-Allergenic Foam
-Ventilated Forder for Mattress Freshness
-Meets Federal Flammability Standard....

Benefits for Concerned Parents:
-Best Quality foam
-Extra strong cloth binding
-Wetproof, tear-resistant, special nylon cover
-light weight makes handling easy

10 year warranty
Made in USA

I ended up ordering the Nylon cover mattress because on Colgate's website it says: "There is a trend for mattress manufacturers to use laminated mattress covers that use something other than a nylon reinforcement. Nylon is the best and most expensive reinforcing material and adds to the overall quality of the mattress. Also, there is a trend today towards antibacterial vinyl. This vinyl slows the growth of bacteria but doesn't stop it. Antibacterial is fine, but you can get as good germ protection from a washable, waterproof mattress pad, and you have less chemicals near the skin of your baby."
http://www.colgatekids.com/mattress_info.php

I don't understand b/c it says that the Classica I (priced at 149.99) is covered with tough, three-ply vinyl. I thought nylon was best?!?! Anyway, that's why I went with the cheaper ($119) mattress. It does NOT appear that the Nylon Classica I ($119) has eyelet venting holes (at least I don't think I see any).

Gene
06-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I called them this morning and asked the difference between the vinyl and the nylon cover and this is what I was told:

Vinyl - plastic. WATERPROOF. Their "standard" mattress they've been making for years. The rep's choice (above the Classica II and double sided).

Nylon - no plastic. Water-RESISTANT (not waterproof). Made for those concerned about plastic around babies. Made in response to concerns about phthalates (which aren't in the vinyl version, but still).

I'm getting the Vinyl. Even if I use a waterproof mattress cover, I'd rather have a "proof" than "resistant" covering...