PDA

View Full Version : $18 for a kid's haircut, and now we can't go out without a hat

JTsMom
05-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Jason was supposed to get pro pics done this weekend (it's his b-day next week). For the first time, I was actually prepared ahead of time- had the clothes picked out, ironed, the whole nine yards. All that was left was a quicky trim. His hair wasn't that bad, but since we were getting pics, I figured we'd just neaten it up a little.

There is a big, national chain kid's place not too far from here, so I figured we'd give it a whirl. Jason has done pretty well with cuts for a while now, despite his sensory issues. We've dealt with great, very kid-friendly stylists, and he actually kind of enjoys going now. The only part that can be a little tricky is using clippers to finish it off, but it's just for a second to do the bottom in a straight line, and if he is doing ok with it, I have them do a little around his ears. So he's a champ for 98% of the cut, and just fusses a tiny bit for the other 2%- nothing too stressful at all.

Until today.

The stylist was just not someone who had any kind of rapport with kids at all. Not friendly, no prepping him, nothing. I warned her about the clippers. (Keep in mind J's sensory issues too, which I was trying to be subtle about, but she totally blew me off). She starts by totally spraying down his head to the point water is dripping all down his face. So now he's upset (duh). Then she immediately goes for the clippers! So now he's freaking out totally. I get him calmed down, give him a lollipop, and he's still not happy, but is cooperative. She's cutting and cutting, and I'm thinking, "Wow, there's a lot of hair coming off of his head!"

She gets done and wants to trim the back, and he wasn't having it. Honestly, no surprise by that point. She says she's going to get another stylist to hold him down! I said, "Uh, no. That's not a good idea. It took us years to get to this point, he never acts like this when he's getting his hair cut, and you're going to push him to the point where it's going to be a nightmare every time we have to get his hair cut. Not gonna happen, just leave it scissor cut." So we pay- $18 stinkin dollars, and I go to put him in his carseat. Then I see the back of his head. It's not that she wasn't able to trim it and make a perfect neat line- it's that there is a chunk hanging down that's like an inch longer than the rest of his hair!

I march him back in, ask for it to be fixed, and she says "well, you wouldn't let me hold him down!" So I said, "Just cut it with scissors!" Again- this isn't a little piece- it's a big chunk of long hair- totally could have been cut. So we go back and forth, and she keeps telling me we just need to hold him down. I kept trying to explain that he has sensory issues, and she kept cutting me off and saying, "We work with that all the time- crying and screaming is fine!" I wanted to slap her. I told her, "It's not a matter of him crying and screaming, it's that this child has a neuroligical condition, and you are pushing him to the point where I'm now going to have major issues! If some stranger holds him down while you use clippers on him, it would be awful!"

Meanwhile, another mother comes up to me and tells me that nobody she knows will let that stylist near their kids b/c she always does a horrendous job, and that the one time she did do her kids' hair, it was atrocious, AND her kids, who were perfectly calm, were screaming bloody murder, so she now calls ahead of time to make sure there are other stylists working. She said she and the stylist she was working with were laughing when they saw me walk back in b/c it happens constantly with her!

So the other stylist comes over to help. She had to tell our stylist where to cut, etc, but hoenstly, the more I looked, the more I was able to check it out, the more I realized it's beyond repair.

Now the front has that 3 yr old who cut his own hair look, there are these odd chunks missing on the sides, and I'm going to have to cancel the pics.

So when I told DH this story, he called, spoke with a manager who profusely apologized, offered to have a stylist who's son is autistic and has a lot of sensory issues fix it and make sure he has a good experience, give us our money back, plus a free haircut for the future. All of that's great, but I still have to deal with this bad haircut (which nobody could fix- it just has to grow out), postpone the pics and the whole day we had planned around them, and deal with the next few haircuts, which are sure to be a pleasure.

gatorsmom
05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
So when I told DH this story, he called, spoke with a manager who profusely apologized, offered to have a stylist who's son is autistic and has a lot of sensory issues fix it and make sure he has a good experience, give us our money back, plus a free haircut for the future. All of that's great, but I still have to deal with this bad haircut (which nobody could fix- it just has to grow out), postpone the pics and the whole day we had planned around them, and deal with the next few haircuts, which are sure to be a pleasure.

I"m sooo sorry you had to deal with this. That sucks that they whole portrait session is now put off and everything changed. At least you will get a free haircut out of this. Hopefully your DS won't be too affected by this. That stylist sounds like a piece of work.

sunshine873
05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I would be furious! Good for your DH for complaining. I'm glad the place is doing what they can to try to "make it right" for you. But if this stylist is such a known problem...why is she still working there? It sounds like she's not working in the right location. Like maybe she'd be better off working with adults.

LBW
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Similar experiences (although not quite as horrible as yours!) are why I know own a pair of clippers and do all the boys haircuts myself. My worst cuts are no where near as bad as some of the "professional" cuts they got when they were younger.

newg
05-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Seriously....you would think at a hair place for kids they would make sure the adults working there would be "kid friendly" and understand the different issues kids can have

happymomma
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I would be furious also. DS has some sensory issues and is really afraid of the clippers. It doesn't help that he remembers a time when the clippers actually clipped his ears and it bled. I've been to ones that were not very good with kids and have learned to actually stand up for my kid. I wouldn't want someone to hold my child down to get a haircut. How tramatic would that be for him. I'm glad that your DH complained and at least you get a free haircut in the future. it just sucks that you have to cancel your pictures.

MontrealMum
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
:hug: that's just awful!

KrisM
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Some people are really clueless. I'm surprised they still have this employee working there if she's that bad!

On the other hand, DD was to get her hair cut last week and when we got there, she said no. We left. A friend asked me why I didn't just hold her down and get her hair cut! I was floored. She's nearly 3 - that would have made for disasterous hair cuts for a couple years, I'm sure. I asked her yesterday and she wanted to get it cut, so we went and it was great. She sat nicely and did what she needed to. Perfect. So glad I didn't hold her down.

elliput
05-14-2009, 11:51 PM
:hug::hug::hug: I really hope this doesn't create a major set back for Jason.

Washing, brushing and combing hair are some of DD's major sensory issues, so
I have not taken DD to get her hair cut as I can envision this exact same scenario happening.

kransden
05-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Ugh! I think that it would be time to get a summer buzz cut then. At least it would all be even. On the plus side he wouldn't need a haircut for a long time :) If prepped would he be able to stand it?

maestramommy
05-15-2009, 07:25 AM
She sounds like.a.freakin.nightmare. Why is she still there??

:hug:Hope your DS will be okay when it gets fixed!

Carrots
05-15-2009, 08:46 AM
I am so incredibly sorry this happened to you and DS.
:hug:

JTsMom
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for commiserating guys. I'm even more upset about it today. :( It looks so bad I just can't even believe it. Every time I look at him I want to cry. That sounds so petty- I know- but I can't help it.

I could have done a better job. Blindfolded. With one hand tied behind my back. I'm going to post some pics in the lounge and try to get some opinions on my options at this point.

hellokitty
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
We had really similar experiences. The first haircut my son had the stupid hair stylist used a buzzer and CUT his ear. It took almost FOUR yrs before he was able to allow someone to use buzzers on him again and that is only b/c our current stylist has been doing his hair for 2 yrs and he knows her. However, after the ear cutting experience, we took him to a place called, "Cookie Cutters," think it would be, "fun" for him. We told the hag who did his hair NOT to use clippers, she totally ignored us and then proceeded to freak him out so bad, he was traumatized. On top of that we also had a very difficult time with dental appts, he would act terrified. Our ped dentist is actually a friend of ours and so my son knows her and she was totally shocked at the way he reacted. She actually asked, "Did a hair stylist cut him by accident?" My DH was dumbfounded and said, "Yes, that is EXACTLY what happened and now he is freaked out about hair cuts!" She said that when they have kids who react that strongly to dental appts, many times it can stem from a traumatizing experience from a hair cut. So, I guess you should be warned that if your son freaks out at the dentists... it may also be related to his bad hair stylist experience.

gatorsmom
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
We had really similar experiences. The first haircut my son had the stupid hair stylist used a buzzer and CUT his ear. It took almost FOUR yrs before he was able to allow someone to use buzzers on him again and that is only b/c our current stylist has been doing his hair for 2 yrs and he knows her. However, after the ear cutting experience, we took him to a place called, "Cookie Cutters," think it would be, "fun" for him. We told the hag who did his hair NOT to use clippers, she totally ignored us and then proceeded to freak him out so bad, he was traumatized. On top of that we also had a very difficult time with dental appts, he would act terrified. Our ped dentist is actually a friend of ours and so my son knows her and she was totally shocked at the way he reacted. She actually asked, "Did a hair stylist cut him by accident?" My DH was dumbfounded and said, "Yes, that is EXACTLY what happened and now he is freaked out about hair cuts!" She said that when they have kids who react that strongly to dental appts, many times it can stem from a traumatizing experience from a hair cut. So, I guess you should be warned that if your son freaks out at the dentists... it may also be related to his bad hair stylist experience.

Ugh, that is TERRIBLE. I take all three boys to a place called "Kids' Hair." I take them to the same place every time. Since they like to cut all three boys' hair at the same time, i had them fill out cards specifiying EXACTLY how to cut each boy's hair that I could hand to the stylists each time we were in for a cut. Gator's says one finger length on top, #2clippers on the back, Cha Cha's is something else and Greenbean's says finger length boys cut, no clippers. I hand each of the stylist's their card and just sort of supervise without micromanaging. But last time they had their haircuts, I had to intervene because I saw the dang stylist pull out the clippers for Greenbean. I was like, "no clippers, just like it says on the card." She just said, "oh, oops." So, I guess no matter what precautions you take, it's just the luck of the draw as far as stylists go.

And every time I"m there I become more and more tempted to try to cut their hair at home. I think this summer I"m going to try cutting it myself. Worse come to worst, they end up with a buzz cut.

LBW
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Seriously, guys, try cutting their hair at home! So much less stress and it saves a ton of money.

The clippers I use are these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-1001-26-Piece-Color-Coded-Haircutting/dp/B00006IVEN/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_4

They are dummy proof. You can start with longer combs and gradually go shorter until you get used to the length you like.

JTsMom
05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
The pathetic thing is that I have not 1, but 2 pairs of clippers, and good haircutting scissors. I'm just too chicken to use them. LOL After this though, I'm going to re-visit the idea! My mom does both of my brothers" and my dad's- I wish she lived near me and could do Jason's too. She keeps telling me it's easy, but I just can't picture how to cut the top. If it was just clippers, I could do it- it's the scissors that throw me.
Seriously, guys, try cutting their hair at home! So much less stress and it saves a ton of money.

The clippers I use are these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-1001-26-Piece-Color-Coded-Haircutting/dp/B00006IVEN/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_4

They are dummy proof. You can start with longer combs and gradually go shorter until you get used to the length you like.

LBW
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
For the top I start by cutting their "bangs." I just trim across their foreheads. Then I use the scissors to trim the rest of the top. You pull a section of hair away from their head between your fingers and cut a little bit off. You do that all the way around the top of their head. That's it!

I use the clippers for the back and around their ears. I start with a longish length (maybe an inch) and switch to shorter lengths around their neckline. Instant gradation.

Our biggest obstacle (and sounds like it will be yours, too) was getting the kids comfortable with the clippers. I just let the boys hold the clippers themselves and feel how they wouldn't cut them. We talked a lot about how the clippers tickled. We also let them watch TV, and have lollipops during their haircuts.

Our first haircuts were super short - maybe only a few minutes at a time. But, I did the, weekly for a while before their Sunday eve baths. I didn't go into it thinking they'd be able to sit through a full cut. I was amazed at how quickly they went from being terrified of haircuts (to the point where we had to leave halfway during some professional cuts b/c they were so hysterical) to being perfectly comfortable with them at home.

sidmand
05-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm so sorry. I can totally relate to the sensory issues and can't imagine if we finally got DS to tolerate haircuts and then encountered someone like that. :(

I swore I would never do it but after being *asked* not to return to a kid's haircut place we now do it ourselves with buzzers. It's never great and DS hates it, but he won't tolerate scissors either and at least the buzzers go quickly. And he's slowly but surely getting a little better.

Why is that woman in a kids' haircut place if everyone knows she is horrible with kids and does a horrible job? Argh! I'm frustrated for you!

AddiesMom
05-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I sympathize.... DD has fine, blonde cury hair which nobody can cut... well Michael at the Harmony Barber shop at Disney World gave her a good cut but that it an expensive trip to the barber shop!

I once spent $17 at a kids chain and they chopped the top way too short. Only offered me a 'touch-up' haircut to fix it. My reply... oh, you have Miracle-Grow to fix it! No thanks!

In 2 years I still haven't found anyone who can cut it!

niccig
05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh, I feel for you. We had some kid stylist cuts and I couldn't see how it was worth the money. They did the same thing with really wetting his hair etc. We now take DS to our hair stylist. She costs a little more, but it's a nicer cut and she's very careful with DS. He's used to her now, so she's able to do a little more than just a quick trim. She doesn't normally do kids, but made an exception for us. I do feel a little weird taking a 4 yo into a salon with all the other women there with hair in foils/under the dryer etc. Maybe you could find a regular hair stylist who will do a better job. The first few times, I took our portable DVD player so DS could be distracted. Would that help Jason?