PDA

View Full Version : Do you Zumba?

MrsZaz
05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm intrigued by this exercise but I don't know anything about it. Are there any good DVD's to follow or do you need to take a class?

Do you Zumba? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Colleen

LexyLou
05-14-2009, 09:52 PM
All I know is there is a Zumba class when I'm with my trainer in the evenings and I have a very hard time concentrating. It's well um...entertaining to watch.

cvanbrunt
05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I went to a free class last weekend. It's aerobics with vaguely "Latin" music.

MelissaTC
05-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I have been Zumba-ing for years now. Love love love it!! I take it with a Brazilian instructor who in her pre-kids life was a dancer and choreographer. She is the best instructor I have encountered. Love her!! She is amazing and has the best music. I re-started Zumba in January and lost 13 lbs while taking it 2-3x a week. It is a great core workout, focusing on the abs and stomach.

wellyes
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I haven't tried it but to be honest I am a bit intimidated by it. My stylist is a Zumba instructor and she tells me it is more challenging than the "Boot Camp" classes offered at a lot of gyms.

She does, however, look freakin' FANTASTIC. Slammin'. Great body. So my impression is that it's a strenuous workout if you're in shape, but maybe a bit much if you're not.

Twoboos
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I haven't tried it but to be honest I am a bit intimidated by it. My stylist is a Zumba instructor and she tells me it is more challenging than the "Boot Camp" classes offered at a lot of gyms.

She does, however, look freakin' FANTASTIC. Slammin'. Great body. So my impression is that it's a strenuous workout if you're in shape, but maybe a bit much if you're not.

Wow, really? I took it once and was not impressed. I feel like it's geared more to being an easier workout! It seemed like just basic aerobics with a lot of hip movements and latin music (which is not a fav of mine to begin with!) I guess it depends on your class/instructor. I'd rather do step aerobics any day.

SnuggleBuggles
05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Like pp, I wouldn't even equate the ones I have taken with a boot camp style workout. I consider it to be a pretty medium (maybe even light) workout- and I go all out. I enjoy the class because I much prefer dance based aerobics. But, I can get a better workout in a lot of other classes. Give it a try though! It might vary by instructor or where you are coming from physically.

The 1st class may be a bit overwhelming with the choreography but you'll quickly catch on. Each song only has about 4-5 distinctive moves so just pay attention to those key steps.

Zumba at my new gym has like a cult following. The hard core people all wear the Zumba brand workout apparel and stand in a big cluster at the front of the room. It's not something I am used to at all. I just stand back and do my thing. Great energy in class though. Nothing like I was used to at my old gym though. Who knows what you'll experience!

Beth

MelissaTC
05-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I guess it depends on the instructor. I wear a HR monitor when I do it and burn between 400-500 calories during the class. It is a fantastic workout, especially if you love to dance and if you like Latin music/hip hop. I am Puerto Rican and love Latin music so it is a win win for me.

mommy111
05-15-2009, 02:14 AM
I guess it depends on the instructor. I wear a HR monitor when I do it and burn between 400-500 calories during the class. It is a fantastic workout, especially if you love to dance and if you like Latin music/hip hop. I am Puerto Rican and love Latin music so it is a win win for me.
Wow, that is absolutely fantabulous!!! That is more than I burn running! I have to look into this!

pastrygirl
05-15-2009, 07:54 AM
I took a class yesterday for the first time, now that I have enough energy and m/s has passed. It was great! I haven't exercised in YEARS and am very, very out of shape. I love to dance, so it was perfect for me! I've taken dance aerobic classes before, so some of the steps were familiar to me.

I love step aerobics, too, but my chiro has nixed that. It's bad for me, apparently.

MrsZaz
05-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I had heard it was a great workout - great for your abs. I'm going to look into it somemore and see what I come up with. I'm hoping to find a stand alone studio - not a gym because I don't want to pay gym fees.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Colleen

ps. Does anyone own a Zumba DVD? Is there such a thing?

wellyes
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
There are definitely Zumba DVDs. Netflix is a great way to try out fitness DVDs, you can get 3 different Zumba ones to see which works best for you before you buy for yourself.

clc053103
05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I Zumba! It's so much fun!!!! Before you invest in DVD's, could you try a class at a local gym?

BarbieSmith
05-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I have not had any luck finding even decent Zumba DVD's on Netflix... if you find some, please will you share which ones?

In our YMCA, Zumba is a hard workout (my heart rate monitor shows 650-700 kcal per hour) but it is mostly filled with us pleasantly plump ladies. No clique-y attitude here, in fact, there are even two mentally disabled women in the class, and they have a blast, and so do we. It doesn't matter what you look like doing it - the idea is to just have FUN while moving. Truly, most of us suck at it, and that is one of the reasons we love it so - no pressure to look good, just have a BLAST. My husbands gym is the same - he does it there :)

Definitely try it! Please don't worry about what you look like - just keep a big grin on your face, have fun, and "whoop" at the end of each song and you will have a great time...

Barbie

KBecks
05-16-2009, 07:44 AM
I've done Zumba for 3 years and became an instructor in February. I love Zumba! I have always loved dance and music and it's a fun workout - many times I will be sad when class is over because I want to keep going!

The intensity of the workout is largely up to you -- you decide how big you want to dance, step, etc. At first I was intimidated by Zumba, I was postpartum and just starting to work out so I started with water aerobics until I felt bored with that. Then at first for me, Zumba was a 2 water bottle class -- bring water!

After you've been to a few classes you should find a lot of repetition in the moves and it becomes comfortable to have familiar steps.

At Zumba.com there is a find an instructor button and you can see instructors in your area. A lot of gyms offer it, but also a lot of dance studios offer it as a stand alone class. Many studios welcome drop-ins so you can try a class or two to try it out. I belong to a gym where I take classes, and I teach at a dance studio that welcomes drop ins and sells ticket packages for classes.

Have fun!

ilfaith
05-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I love Zumba...and was taking classes 2-3 times per week up until about a month ago (or around 30 weeks pg). The intensity of the workout does depend on the instructors. At my gym there were three instructors. One I found a bit too slow and easy (although considering that I am pregnant it was just enough of a workout for me) , one was a bit more challenging (more complex choreography) and the third was a very high-energy workout. Last month my gym hired two more Zumba instructors who led a fabulous-looking more intense class, but at this stage in my pregnancy I figured it was not time to ramp up my workout. Unfortunately the "easier" classes were switched to mid afternoon, when my kids are out of school and my gym doesn't offer babysitting (they have sitters in the morning and evening). But I am looking forward to resuming Zumba after the baby arrives.

Twoboos...wow step aerobics. I haven't done that in years. Great for my butt. bad for my knees. My gym stopped offering it about two years ago. I did have some fantastic step instructors when I lived in NYC (at New York Sports Club). Every other place I took step I was bored.