PDA

View Full Version : My Loser Cousin's Big, Fat Wedding

Happy 2B mommy
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
A few months back I posted a BP about how my cousin, who is widowed, NOT wealthy and in her early 60's, is paying for a lavish (app $25-30,0000) wedding for her son, who was employed part-time and his finance, who works 2 pt minimun-wage jobs while going to school. Oh, AND they live with her. The happy couple are in their late 20's and early 30's (so, a bit younger than DH and I)

Last night was my aunt's 90th Birthday. My cousins and their kids (including the ones from out of state) wanted to have a nice celebration. We went out to a nicer resturant to celebrate (DD was really, really good AND used her "fancy Nancy" manners! Yeah! I was really proud of her). The groom-to-be showed up wearing jeans, a T-shirt with some sort of writing on it and a very dirty hoodie. He also hadn't shaved for a day or two. We inquired how the wedding plans were going. The bride has had some sort of falling out with her brother and now they don't have a ring bearer - so they've asked my 49 -year-old cousin, who is the groom's godmother, to be the ring bearer because "She gave us the ring".

Gave you the ring?... Sure enough! It is my cousin's first engagement ring (her DH has become pretty successful and she's had at least 2 upgrades through the years). And yes, my cousin confirmed that it was a gift, because, well... you know... money is tight for poor "Matt" So... not only is this putz expecting for his widowed mother to pay for his fiance's "dream wedding" BUT he didn't even get her a ring??!!!

The only good news is that this idiot is now at least employed full-time -poor DH has to listen to him complain how his "job sucks" throughout the meal.

The wedding shower is this weekend. I just got the invite last night (I was emailed the date about 1 month ago, but no specifics). At first I told DH that I really didn't want to go, but part of me is tempted... it's like being in the audience of a Jerry Springer show!

kijip
05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I fail to see how anyone in their late 20s to early 30s would be foolish enough to want a wedding that out of sync with their own finances. Seems immature and destined to fail.

MamaMolly
05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
snip....The wedding shower is this weekend. I just got the invite last night (I was emailed the date about 1 month ago, but no specifics). At first I told DH that I really didn't want to go, but part of me is tempted... it's like being in the audience of a Jerry Springer show!

Gadzooks, I'd go just for the fun of being a spectator! I expect a full report with all the cringing details. So what are you going to bring as a gift? A six pack of beer? Or are you going to go high dollar and do bottles? Dish the dirt! OMG where are they registered? I bet it is a hilarious list. Again, please post.

My big fat tacky family member's weddings are all done for now, so I'm getting grins and giggles from yours. ;)

specialp
05-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I remember the previous post. I do feel so bad for your poor cousin.

At first I told DH that I really didn't want to go, but part of me is tempted... it's like being in the audience of a Jerry Springer show!

I'll have to admit, the entertainment value of this would probably be enough to get me through the awkward event.

Happy 2B mommy
05-15-2009, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=specialp;2372844]I remember the previous post. I do feel so bad for your poor cousin.

I feel bad for her, too. My post from a few months ago was a true B*tch, because I was concerned that my cousin was being taken advantage of (and she made a comment that I should understand that this is what 'good mother's do' and that hurt my feelings). I've come to accept that if she is being take advantage of, she's allowing it. But at this point this is less of a true b*tch, and a more of "gee, I'm appalled and amused at the same time! Am I really related to these people?"

malphy
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Gadzooks, I'd go just for the fun of being a spectator! I expect a full report with all the cringing details. So what are you going to bring as a gift? A six pack of beer? Or are you going to go high dollar and do bottles? Dish the dirt! OMG where are they registered? I bet it is a hilarious list. Again, please post.

My big fat tacky family member's weddings are all done for now, so I'm getting grins and giggles from yours. ;)

Too funny!! ITA

natmurr
05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking a DVD set of the Suze Orman Show or a Dave Ramsey book would make an excellent shower gift!!!

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

Happy 2B mommy
05-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking a DVD set of the Suze Orman Show or a Dave Ramsey book would make an excellent shower gift!!!

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

Ohhhhhh! LOVE IT!

niccig
05-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Not the OP, but at my sister's wedding reception in Wales, one of the groomsman danced on a table and did a strip tease down to his tighty whiteys. I'm Australian and many Australian's love their beer, so I've been to weddings where people drink too much. But the Welsh at this wedding, had all of us Aussies in shock. We thought we were watching a Jerry Springer special.

MCsMom
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Ack!
I remember the OP about this couple!
Yes, I know choosing your family isn't really possible but wouldn't it be nice?
I will be first in line for "Family Returns" :D

shawnandangel
05-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Maybe you should take shampoo and laundrey detergent as a "housewarming" gift.