PDA

View Full Version : Athleta swimsuit question

wolverine2
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I've seen some swimsuits in the Athleta catalogue that look cute, (and I'm getting sick of Lands End), but I have a question about the tankinis. On all of the models, the top of the tankini doesn't quite meet the bottom, leaving some skin showing. On the tall beautiful models, that looks great, but on me it would be a disaster. I need overlap. What are they like in real life? And why are my favorite suits only for cup size C or bigger? Where are the suits for A's and B's?

g-mama
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, I'm only 5'2" and there is definitely overlap. Enough that I don't worry about lifting up my arms and showing skin. If there were that worry, I wouldn't wear mine, LOL. I have two from Athleta and love them.

jlideen
05-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm 5' 3" (size L in Athleta)...and the tankini top goes pretty low, but the bottoms are too low rise! So I've purchased land's end bottoms, with Athleta tankini tops and have been very happy.

citymama
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Carrie, did you ever get an answer to your question re A and B cups? I'm assuming the XS sized tankinis would work for some. I'm looking at Athleta too, and I love that they have swim shorts to go with some of the tankinis. Did you try one of the Athleta suits, and if so, how did it fit? I'm 5' 6" and hoping the tanks will be long enough for full tummy coverage.

Any Athleta codes out there perchance?

wolverine2
06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry, just seeing this so you probably already got your suit?

I ordered two Athleta suits to try- a tankini and a one-piece. The tankini didn't work for me- mostly because I didn't like the the fabric in person, but also because it wasn't as long as I was hoping- the combination of the slightly shorter top and low rise bottom meant that it met when I stood perfectly still, but not when moving around. Not ok for me... (and I'm 5'4")

But I loved the one-piece I got. (http://tinyurl.com/lhrp35)

I think some of their suits are better than others for smaller bust sizes... you just can't get one of the ones where the smallest size is meant for C/D.

There is a code for FS over $150 (go to the gap.athleta.com site and it's on the homepage).

Hope you find one you love!

citymama
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Actually, I haven't yet taken the plunge, so to speak, so this is very helpful. I am 5' 6" so I guess I would have the same problem with tankini top and bottom. I wanted to get one of the swim short bottoms, which I *think* have a higher rise. The sales rep told me that the tankinis are "meet and greet" length which she said means they "meet" the top of the swim bottoms! I guess not, unless you are 5 ' 2" or under. Hmm. I might just try a set anyway, or order 2 different styles to try them out - I could always do a return. Thanks Carrie!

wolverine2
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Actually, I haven't yet taken the plunge, so to speak, so this is very helpful. I am 5' 6" so I guess I would have the same problem with tankini top and bottom. I wanted to get one of the swim short bottoms, which I *think* have a higher rise. The sales rep told me that the tankinis are "meet and greet" length which she said means they "meet" the top of the swim bottoms! I guess not, unless you are 5 ' 2" or under. Hmm. I might just try a set anyway, or order 2 different styles to try them out - I could always do a return. Thanks Carrie!

If you order 2, you get the free shipping and then you can return one! :)

The tankini I tried did "meet" the bottom, but not enough overlap for me... maybe the swim shorts would work, or maybe it depends on the suit?

Let me know if it works for you!

ETA: I do think the Athleta tankini top and Lands End bottom suggestion is a good one... might try that next year!

clc053103
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I ordered from Athleta this year and was actually disappointed, they were "skimpier" than I would have expected, and all the edges on the bottoms had super tight elastic which is not flattering. Also the top ran small (I ordered a cup size suit too!) and the tops definitely don't meet the bottom on me. I ended up getting two lands end suits, I particularly like the Capri collection as the bikini bottoms are not grandma-ish.