PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your iPhone: details!

amldaley
05-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Give me the scoop!

How you use yours?

How often?

What plan do you have?

How mcuh do you pay?

etc etc etc!!

KrystalS
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll be interested to read this thread, I really want to get an iphone. My current plan expires in June and I plan to renew and get an iphone

larig
05-16-2009, 12:12 AM
How you use yours?
phone, calendar when away from computer, for recipes when cooking (right now I'm just emailing them to myself, but I may buy an app), directions when in the car, baby white noise machine (DS loves the beach--free app), video player (has speakers!), mp3 player, camera, email checking when out, facebook (decent app available), shopping list, packing list (I bought a great app for this), game for DS (almost 1--it's called Adam's game (http://www.whatsoniphone.com/reviews/adams-game) and very cute), it's great as a time killer when you're at the doctor's waiting to get it (you can surf the internet or read emails)..there's so much more, but this is already a long post. oh, alarm clock, timer...

How often?
A lot. It gets used for something every day, and I don't even talk on the phone that much (we NEVER come close to using all our talk minutes and we have a tiny number in our plan, but I use it so much for other things. I've been surprised how much I have found ways to use it with DS. We listen to it when we take stroller walks (speakers allow us both to hear), the white noise I mentioned, etc.

What plan do you have?
Gosh, it's a family plan and I think it's the one that has the least number of minutes you can have. you have to have a data plan too.

How mcuh do you pay?
I don't remember what it is. I'll try to come back and edit to let you know.

btw, get a large harddrive so you can put more movies and music on it! Totally worth it to go for the bigger one. But people who are interested, if they can should try to wait until this summer. It is almost certain there will be a new one released.

Davids-Coco
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM
How you use yours?
I can't say there is a day where it doesn't get any use. They were our lifelines (DH & I both have them) in the hospital when DS2 was born last month. I use pretty much everything... phone, calendar, camera, email, address book, calculator, photo albums, web surfing. We also text a fair amount when DH is working - although he isn't right now. We also have lots of pictures and videos/tv shows on them. In a pinch, we can entertain DS1 (almost 3) for hours on end. DH uses it as an MP3 player more than I do. In terms of installed apps, DH has a ton. I'm more selective and really use the facebook app and free Kindle (books) reader. I also have a web shortcut to Trixie Tracker's mobile site.

However, I do have to say that the reason we shelled out the cash is because I am a mac user. With MobileMe (seperate cost), I can sync my huge address book, all our family calendars including DH's work one, my bookmarks, my mail and hopefully soon notes without doing anything at all... it syncs the changes every single time that I make them and is put on both of our phones. Without this, I am not sure that I would have been as quick and keen on buying them.

How often?
Every couple of hours for one reason or another. We don't use anywhere near our minutes either, but it is used a ton. The seamless integration with other things is perfect for us - either through Mobile Me syncing or actual pugging in (iphoto & itunes).

What plan do you have?
We have the lowest family plan that is 550 rollover minutes. Data plan is required... but we both have the data plan + 1500 text messages. We also have the first iPhone that came out (not the 3G), so the data plan is cheaper than the 3G plans.

How much do you pay?
We have a corporate discount through DH's work and the 1st iPhone, so our pricing is lower... The 550 rollover costs us $40; the extra line is $9.99; the two data plans plus 1500 texts are $30 each. So... $110 in plan costs and then about $15 in government fees, taxes, etc... $125 ish a month.

Def wait until the new one is out if you can. Anticipated in August...

hellokitty
05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
DH really wants an iphone, BUT only AT&T has plans for them. Verizon won't have a contract for iphones until 2010 at the earliest. Everyone we know that has an iphone says they love the iphone itself and the features, BUT they hate AT&T's phone services. We know someone who got one for two wks, LOVED the iphone, couldn't say enough great things about it, but returned it, b/c when it came to actual phone call service (AT&T) it sucked. We're going to wait until Verizon or another carrier other than AT&T has a contract with iphone before we get one...

nupe
05-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Using it now! Use it a lot for email, apps that I use often at work (used to have a palmpilot), calendar. Love my case: ifrog luxe! It isn't slippery and it comes with a screen protector. We have two iPhones on our plan and ATT coverage has been pretty good. Unfortunately can't say the same about ATT customer service! Iwas sorry to leave sprint but couldn't wait for the palm pre due out this summer. Will check on the $. We have ATT landline and are supposed to be able to call home without using daytime minutes just like calling an ATT mobile customer.

Davids-Coco
05-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Our coverage is great. No complaints. It def depends on where you are!

baymom
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't mean to hijack this post, but does anyone have an i-touch? Other then not being a phone, how is it different then an i-phone? I really want the i-phone, but the monthly fee seems a bit steep. I'm considering getting another Nokia phone and keeping my current phone plan and getting the i-touch. It's a one time expense, but no monthly, so seems to be a win-win....unless it's not as capable as the i-phone.

jellibeans
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I love my IPhone. I use it everyday. My son (16 months) can use it, too! He plays "Peekaboo Barn" incase anyone wants to check it out. I only have the 8g, my husband has the 16g. I don't really use it for music, but I have a lot of apps on it. I love that I can check my email anywhere, have a handheld GPS, check the weather, go on Facebook, play games, entertain my son, and do my banking anywhere that I am! It was some of the best money that we have spent in a long time! The only bad thing about it is the camera is not the best quality. But really, that isn't enough for me not to enjoy it. This summer they are supposed to be coming out with an app that will allow you to text message pictures and copy and paste on the internet.
Also, I love my case. It is made my elago(www.elagodesigns.com). I bought mine on Amazon.com. Make sure that you get a case and a clear screen cover because you don't want it to get scratched.

LD92599
05-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I have the 3G Version w/ the minumum texts and my bill is usually ~$83. I rarely talk on it, probably < 30 minutes/month!

I use it for:
text (i "talk" to my sister more this way vs actual phone)
Camera when we don't have our Nikon w/ us, also great for taking pics in stores when I don't have pen and paper handy
iCal - i have macs @ home and work, so my icals for all are in one place and I can update work stuff from home, etc and it all syncs
MobileMe - (.me subscription required) means my pictures are viewable on the phone w/o taking up hard drive space on the phone itself
YouTube for DS - loves this
Movies for DS - full length movies, i have Indiana Jones on there now
Google - to find just about anything i need, store hours, locations, research on something while we're in a store to see if the price/reviews are good or not.
iPod - use this on the treadmill, walks etc and it's handy since it has speakers, don't need headphones!

Favorite Apps:
iTalk - voice recorder, handy w/ Dr's appts for my mom, to share info w/ my sister
WW Mobile - should use this one more!
MLB apps - can see Yankee scores in real time app
Tipulator - calculates tips quickly and a variety of ways too

strollerqueen
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
DH really wants an iphone, BUT only AT&T has plans for them. Verizon won't have a contract for iphones until 2010 at the earliest. Everyone we know that has an iphone says they love the iphone itself and the features, BUT they hate AT&T's phone services. We know someone who got one for two wks, LOVED the iphone, couldn't say enough great things about it, but returned it, b/c when it came to actual phone call service (AT&T) it sucked. We're going to wait until Verizon or another carrier other than AT&T has a contract with iphone before we get one...

That's why I got the Blackberry Storm. I did want the iPhone, but I did not want AT&T. The Storm and Verizon seemed like a good solution. Have you looked into that?

TwinFoxes
05-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I love my iPhone! Of the basic apps that come with the phone I text, use the camera (great for snapping those cute moments and emailing to grandma) use the Ipod, use the clock (the timer is great for cooking, but it's also a sleep timer so I can listen to music and it shuts off if I fall asleep) the email app, the calendar. SO MUCH!

Here are some cool apps I downloaded, "pick and choose" grocery list (just tap an item it goes on the list, I add items as I run out of things, and I never loose my list!) my Amazon app lets me take pictures of items I like, it finds them and adds them to my wish list (how cool is that?) with Shazam if you're listening to a song on a radio, or in a store, and want to know the name you just press the button and it figures it out for you (so good when you're having a brain fart!) when the girls were in the NICU the nurses gave us their weights in grams, so I downloaded an app that let me convert that into pounds. And I have a map of the DC metro, and a copy of the Constitution on my phone! And I have fun games! Oh, and my Weather Channel map gives me hour by hour forecasts, video forecasts, and severe weather alerts. Most of my apps were free or $.99. These are just a few of my apps.

It's great if you're just kind of bored (like say rocking a certain twin to sleep) you can surf the BBB. Or watch videos in the waiting room at the doctors office. Or read the newspaper late at night in bed.

My husband has a blackberry for work, and he'd rather play with my iPhone. A former coworker of mine just got her iPhone and this is what she wrote: "I think the fact that you didn't talk about what an amazing device it is 150% of the time shows great restraint on your part. I can't believe there's ever any question about whether it's the superior technology over the Bberry."

As for my plan, I have unlimited texting and a fair amount of minutes, and I think it's $99 but don't quote me, I don't do the bills.

Did I mention I love my iPhone?

ATT cell coverage is worse that Verizon, no doubt about it. I had Verizon for years, in fact it was the only carrier I had before my iPhone, and the reason I didn't get an iPhone sooner was because I didn't want to have ATT. I would never go back!

niccig
05-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't mean to hijack this post, but does anyone have an i-touch? Other then not being a phone, how is it different then an i-phone? I really want the i-phone, but the monthly fee seems a bit steep. I'm considering getting another Nokia phone and keeping my current phone plan and getting the i-touch. It's a one time expense, but no monthly, so seems to be a win-win....unless it's not as capable as the i-phone.

I just got an iPod Touch. DH has an iPhone, but we get spotty ATT service in our house. Until last year ATT spotty coverage was the best for our area, but T Mobile put up a tower at the end of our canyon. I have a free flip phone and DH got me the iPod Touch for Mother's Day. It doesn't have the phone or the camera, and Internet connection is only through WiFi, so I have to be somewhere with free WiFi to connect to the Internet. The lack of Internet connection doesn't bother me as I don't really need to check my email or surf the web when out and about. It would be nice, but I'm not paying an extra $35 a month for it. It will mean that some applications that need Internet connection won't work for the iPod touch. I wanted it for the music, videos/games for DS and for the organizer applications like the calendar, contacts, shopping lists etc. And all of that works just fine. I'm using it like I used my old Palm PDA.

I used it yesterday on a 14 hour flight that became 16 hours thanks to 2 hour wait at the gate for mechanical issues - it helped keep DS occupied when we were done with the DVDs/sticker books/play dough/matchbox cars/transformers etc. And once DS was finally asleep, I started to make a To Do List for all the things I have to get done this week. I'm always losing little bits of papers, so I'm using this as my main place for notes/shopping lists etc. I like that there are many different applications, so you can customize it to your needs. Now, I just have to remember to keep it charged!