PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 picture books - final link list

KBecks
05-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Here's the final link list -- I've posted this before as the articles were coming out. This is a final list to the Top 100. The articles on each book are great! Hope you enjoy!

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1790000379/post/540044254.html

Happy 2B mommy
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. I love giving books as gifts and it's nice to have a go-to list.

citymama
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I still can't get over the fact that Green Eggs and Ham is not on this list, and that Dr Seuss first makes an appearance at #75. :shake: Hard for me to take this seriously with Melanie Watts ("Scaredy Squirrel") up higher than "Horton Hatches an Egg!" I reminded myself that this is like a Zagat's rating for books - based on a user poll of a small sample. But it was fun to read, and apt that WTWTA was #1! As I suspected, Goodnight Moon made it up there (#2)!

KBecks
05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I think the Seuss books were not included because the poll instructions excluded "early reader" books. I do not know if Horton is an exception or if he just sneaked in.

I was disappointed that The Little Engine that Could, my #1 pick, only ranked at #55.

citymama
05-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I think the Seuss books were not included because the poll instructions excluded "early reader" books. I do not know if Horton is an exception or if he just sneaked in.

I was disappointed that The Little Engine that Could, my #1 pick, only ranked at #55.

I know - what's that all about? Horton, The Lorax and How the Grinch are all on the list...not sure how the early reader categorization breaks out, but it does seem like splitting hairs.

daniele_ut
05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I love that the top 3 are the books DS consistently picks for his 3 bedtime books each night.

I'm also glad to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" on there. It was my favorite as a child and now we are reading it to DS.

We actually don't own any Suess books right now!

fivi2
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I also read some of the explanations that prolific authors (like Seuss) split the vote between their own books. People just couldn't agree on certain book by that author. That could explain some of it also. I don't know. I think it is a nice list and I am using it to put books on hold at the library, but I don't consider it complete by a long shot. Some of my favorites are nowhere to be seen!

ett
05-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I know - what's that all about? Horton, The Lorax and How the Grinch are all on the list...not sure how the early reader categorization breaks out, but it does seem like splitting hairs.

At my library Green Eggs and Ham, and the Cat in the Hat are in the early reader section. The longer, bigger books like Horton and the Lorax are in the picture books section.

I love reading these lists because I'm always looking for new books to read to my kids. Thanks so much for sharing it with us Karen.

KBecks
05-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Here is a list of everything that was nominated that didn't make the list.

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1790000379/post/420044642.html

KBecks
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I also read some of the explanations that prolific authors (like Seuss) split the vote between their own books. People just couldn't agree on certain book by that author. That could explain some of it also. I don't know. I think it is a nice list and I am using it to put books on hold at the library, but I don't consider it complete by a long shot. Some of my favorites are nowhere to be seen!

That's what happened to the Boynton books, apparently. (Board books were included.)

thomma
05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
A lot of my faves made it on...I'm surprised Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall didn't make it.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03