PDA

View Full Version : Scootababy? Help - I am overwhelmed with choices!

Bella's Mommy
05-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I liked my Bjorn 2 babies ago, and loved my sling for infant stage, but with dd #3 I am leaning toward a hip carrier and saw a Scootababy...any reviews - do people love it or hate it? I am not comfortable with a back carrier (I like to see my baby) and so I prefer either a front or hip carrier and something that will be comfortable this summer - the hip carrier seems to have less fabric on the wearer's body, making me think it won't be as hot to wear it. The Bjorn was great but it just seems too HOT for the summer (or is the mesh one fine?). I also prefer something user friendly w/buckles (don't want to have to tie it or use rings). TIA for any input as I am overwhelmed and don't have time to do much research!

hobie
05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
What age of baby are you planning to use it for? The Scootababy is not great for infants, but works very well for older babies. The hip belt transfers the weight to your hips, making it much easier on your shoulder than a ring sling, IMO. It also feels more secure to me (but I like to use SSC, like Calyx). The Scootababy is also very easy to use and adjust. I like mine very much, but is limited in that you can only do hip carries, and never a back carry.

I wouldn't use a bjorn for any baby, unless that was the only carrier left at any store anywhere, and I didn't have a simple wrap to use!

Bella's Mommy
05-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Sorry, she is almost 5 mo...is the scootababy "hands free" - just curious...why do you dislike the Bjorn so much?

ang79
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I've never tried a Scoot-a-Baby but have heard that its one of the best hip carriers out there. I'd love to try one but can't justify spending that kind of money when I can only use it in one position. Though babyslingoutlet.com has them on sale right now. The website is going out of business though, so no returns.

I have really been liking mei tais and my Action Baby Carrier SCC for my 6 mos. old (have been using the mei tais since she was born, recently started with the SCC). I mostly carry her on my front and both are very secure so that I can be completely hands free. The Action Baby Carrier seems to be a bit cooler for summer and its super easy to put on and folds up very compactly.

JacksMommy
05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Scootababies are definitely nice carriers. The hip carry aspect would probably cooler than a Baby Bjorn, but do keep in mind that the shoulder is made out of fleece! I think they'd be a good choice for summer. You might also consider a Pikkolo carrier (can do front back and hip carries) and the ERGO Sport carrier (which has lighter fabric and a vent, so it's cooler, although not as comfy for hip carries as the pikkolo).

Hope this helps!

hobie
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I tried the bjorn with my first babies (twins who were tiny) and it was so un-comfy that it turned me off of babywearing until DS#3, and I needed to have my hands free, so I tried other, better carriers. The bjorn's straps are narrow, not well padded, and the baby just hangs from your shoulders. Even the so called active carrier (or whatever it's called) doesn't provide hip support for the parrent. The better carriers have straps that fit your body better, making it easier to carry your baby.

Another carrier to consider is the Connecta made with solarweave...a very cool material. The Connecta carrier is very comfy to wear, front or back, and I think you can also do a hip carry.