PDA

View Full Version : Breastpump question...a little long

Staraglimmer
05-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I borrowed a medela Pump In Style® Advanced PUMP from a close friend. She wants it back to lend to someone else. So I need a pump. I found the medela Freestyle® on clearance at Target. But before I open it I wanted to know if anyone likes/dislikes this pump. How does the Freestyle compare to the Pump in Style? I don't think that my parts from the Pump in Style will work with the Freesyle. But with the clearance it was the same price as the Pump in Style and seems better. What do you ladies think? Should I keep the freestyle or reurn it for a Pump in Style? TIA

elliput
05-16-2009, 01:24 PM
First off, am I understanding this correctly? A friend has lent you an item which you are still using, and even though you are still using it she wants it back so that she can loan it to someone else? Okay. Strange. But, if that is how she works...

Anyway-

The Freestyle is a completely new product to me, but after a quick read of the features I think it looks pretty neat. My vote is to keep it.

Staraglimmer
05-16-2009, 02:08 PM
First off, am I understanding this correctly? A friend has lent you an item which you are still using, and even though you are still using it she wants it back so that she can loan it to someone else? .

Yes, because I should be finished with it because she only breast fed her kids until they were 3 months old. Whatever, I'll just be happy that she loaned it to me at all I guess. Just glad that someone else finds it a bit rude. Thanks for the advice.

Staraglimmer
05-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone used both of these? Are any of the parts interchangeable?

saramir77
05-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't have direct experience as I'm still pregnant, but I did quite a bit of research to figure out which pump I'm going to need, and I decided to register for the Pump in Style because you can use glass bottles with it. The Freestyle one doesn't allow for that (which makes sense, I guess, because they're heavy). But if you use plastic bottles and you've liked the Pump In Style, all the reviews I read suggest that the Freestyle is just as good or better.

Hope this helped...by the way, how much did you pay for the Freestyle?

mrshalco
05-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I found it rude too ;) LOL

I have used both. I had two PIS with DS #1 and a now a freestyle that I've been using since January. Performance-wise, I think they are equal but I would keep the freestyle! With the PIS - the pump is actually the whole bag. The Freestyle is small and can be put on your lap/desk while you are pumping. I love that it has a timer and can be programmed to your likes/dislikes (you set the intensity and amount of time for stimulation and pumping). I like that it is rechargeable so I don't need to have a plug!! The only drawbacks I can think of are that the horns only come in one size and (so far) I haven't seen replacement membranes sold for it.

HTH!

Staraglimmer
05-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks ladies! I think that I will keep the freestyle. I just wanted to make sure because I loved the PIS! I paid $265.98 for the freestyle. That's a good deal right?

sunshine873
05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
That's a great deal for the Freestyle! I did a ton of research too & was planning on buying the Freestyle. But...I have a friend that loaned me her PIS instead.

Oh...and for what it's worth, I think your friend was rude too.

hellokitty1
05-18-2009, 02:58 PM
The only drawbacks I can think of are that the horns only come in one size and (so far) I haven't seen replacement membranes sold for it.
HTH!

i have used both as well too. the portability is great. although medela doesn't sell the "soft-fit" horns in any other size, the regular ones still work and i don't see any performance difference. I use them interchangeably. Also, they do sell a spare parts kit that has the connector and membrane. the membrane is different from the PIS so it doesn't need replacing as much as the small PIS ones.

http://www.babyearth.com/medela-freestyle-spare-parts-kit.html

gl

sarahsthreads
05-18-2009, 11:14 PM
The only drawbacks I can think of are that the horns only come in one size and (so far) I haven't seen replacement membranes sold for it.

HTH!

Wait, there are membranes in it? It's just the four piece connector/horn assembly and the tubing, which part is the membrane?

Anyway, I do use the next size up Medela horns with it - they're not like the soft ones that came in the box, but they fit without any issues. It doesn't work hands free that way, but having used both (a borrowed PIS for DD1 and this one that I purchased for DD2) I still prefer the Freestyle.

And I can't recall exactly how much I paid for mine, but I think you did get a good deal!

(Also count me in the group of people who think your friend is kind of rude to ask for it back...)

Sarah :)

hellokitty1
05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Wait, there are membranes in it? It's just the four piece connector/horn assembly and the tubing, which part is the membrane?

Anyway, I do use the next size up Medela horns with it - they're not like the soft ones that came in the box, but they fit without any issues. It doesn't work hands free that way, but having used both (a borrowed PIS for DD1 and this one that I purchased for DD2) I still prefer the Freestyle.

And I can't recall exactly how much I paid for mine, but I think you did get a good deal!

(Also count me in the group of people who think your friend is kind of rude to ask for it back...)

There is not really a "membrane" in the freestyle like there is in the PIS. It is just the connector which is made up of three pieces. I think the middle piece of the connector is being referred to as the membrane but it doesn't need replacing like the PIS.

Re: the horns, getting a different size in the hard version does not prevent hands-free usage. i thought this too before i started using it but the horns are not part of it. the hands free connectors go on the connectors, not the horns so you can still switch breastshield sizes and still be hands-free.

hth

sarahsthreads
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Re: the horns, getting a different size in the hard version does not prevent hands-free usage. i thought this too before i started using it but the horns are not part of it. the hands free connectors go on the connectors, not the horns so you can still switch breastshield sizes and still be hands-free.

hth

Ah, but the ones I got are longer (maybe they aren't all that way?) so I can't get a good hands free fit - could just be me, though.

hellokitty1
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Ah, but the ones I got are longer (maybe they aren't all that way?) so I can't get a good hands free fit - could just be me, though.

i don't get what's "longer." the hands free connectors don't connect to the horns so horn size doesn't matter. sory if i'm being dense.

Sweetum
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I too have the Freestyle and I like it. But I've never had a PIS, so I cannot compare. I bought a new one off Craig's List (someone was given 2 at a baby shower) and it was a great deal for me ($180). But that was an extraordinary case :) Seems like the target one is a good deal.

Spare parts are most certainly available for the freestyle. The softfit breastshields that come with Freestyle are nice, but I later figured that I might need the next size up, and I was right - although they're not silicone and are hard, they're a lot more comfortable.

I've used the handsfree setup only a few times, and liked it. I haven't yet used it with the larger breastshields. The small size of the Freestyle is a great plus when you want to do mobile pumping. Even when you're not moving about while pumping, it's just so much easier to move from one room to another to pump. Yes, I too like that it keeps track of how long I've been pumping.

HTH
-SunshineAndMe