PDA

View Full Version : Ikea crib mattress ?

tesslouise
05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Yesterday hubby and I were at Ikea and we poked all the samples of the crib mattresses. The one hubby liked best was the $30 Sultan Snarka. Has anyone used this mattress? How did you like it? How did it work with a non-Ikea crib? We have the Babi Italia Pinehurst Dropside Crib.

twowhat?
05-16-2009, 09:15 PM
We don't have the Snarka mattress, but we have 2 Sultan Blunda mattresses for our twins. I really like this mattress. It passed the Baby Bargains "squeeze" test for firmness. One side is egg-crate so it is a bit softer for when your baby is older and the risk of SIDS goes down. It is thicker than the Snarka mattress, which I like. And since it is foam, it is lightweight so it is easy to get out of the crib to change sheets. Been using them for 8 months now with no problems!

They should fit standard-sized cribs. If you go to the IKEA website, you can look at the exact dimensions of the mattress and measure your crib if you're worried. Or, you can buy them, try them (while in their plastic wrapping), and return them if they're not a tight enough fit for your crib.

mousemom
05-17-2009, 07:46 AM
We also don't have the snarka, but we do have the sultan blunda. We like that it makes it really easy to take it out and change the sheets and DS has seemed very comfortable on it from the time we brought him home. The mattress fits just fine in our Sorelle Rita Bella crib.

The only problem I had with it was that when we originally received it (we don't live near an Ikea so had it shipped), there was a strong chemical smell from the foam. We let it air out for two weeks and the smell was still pretty strong, so I called Ikea and they sent out a replacement with no questions asked and with free express shipping (since my due date was approaching). The new one still had some smell, but not nearly as bad as the first one and it did dissipate after letting it air out.

We're very happy with the Ikea mattress, although I've noticed that there are a lot more reasonably priced natural and organic mattresses on the market since the time that we were looking, so if I were buying now I might go with one of those.

Lil Mom
06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
:help:

I was looking at the Sultan Blunda mattress at IKEA. The one I saw in the store was only 3 1/2 inches thick compared to most US mattresses which seem to start at 4 inches and go all the way to 6 inches. Do the standard non-IKEA sheets fit tightly or are they too loose?

I did notice that on the IKEA webpage they say this mattress is made of Polyurethane foam 1.4 lb/cu.ft. which I think is pretty firm. Has anyone had long term experience with the Sultan Blunda crib mattress?

This is our first so we are the typical very concerned parents to be. We want a safe mattress but also have to watch the bottom line. It concerned me that the IKEA mattresses were not even mentioned in the Baby Bargains book. Any wisdom from experienced parents about this mattress would be wonderful!

:signthankspin:

twowhat?
06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I have the Sultan Blunda mattress for our twins and have used them for 9.5 months. I love the mattress. It's holding up great (no signs of wear), it is firm (and has a softer egg crate side too for when baby is older), and I find the 3 inches to be perfectly fine. Both of my girls sleep great on it (10+ hours each night). If you get regular crib sheets that have elastic ALL the way around, it should be a tight fit (and you should buy these kinds of sheets anyway for any mattress if you're concerned about fit). I bought crib sheets from IKEA (they are way cheaper and I didn't care about the few solid color options because I knew I'd be changing sheets frequently and I didn't wanna spend $$ on getting enough of the cute sheets to have extras for sheet changes.), and I love them too. They are very soft, almost like a jersey. And they fit very nice and tight on the Sultan Blunda. HTH!

mousemom
06-21-2009, 08:04 AM
We have the Sultan Blunda and DS has been sleeping on it in his crib since he came home from the hospital (so almost 8 months now). He has always seemed very comfortable on it and generally sleeps for long stretches of time (started with 5 hour stretches very early on and now generally sleeps about 9 hours straight and might go longer if I didn't wake him up to nurse before work). So far at least, the mattress is holding up just fine.

We do use the Priva Sateen Crib Mattress Pad on it (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2449600&fromRegistryNumber=65406368&product_skn=657527). I like it because it fits perfectly and adds just a little bit of extra cushioning to the mattress (but not enough for me to worry that it is too soft).

As for sheets, we've had no problem with standard sheets fitting tightly. We use the George Baby Sateen sheets from Walmart, which have elastic all the way around the edge and are very soft (300 tc cotton).

One really nice thing about the blunda is that because it is light weight and flexible, it is very easy to change the sheets.

Lil Mom
06-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Thank you for the feedback. :waving4:

It looks like I have found my crib mattress!
Tomorrow I will have an IKEA adventure!