PDA

View Full Version : Quick Pedialyte Dosage

swrc00
05-16-2009, 05:28 PM
DS is on antibiotics and of course has diarrhea. His diarrhea is becoming watery. He is eating well and have been giving him extra rice cereal. Should I give him Pedialyte? He is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 20 lbs.

Edensmum
05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Are you nursing? The more breast milk the better. Pedialyte is a chemical concoction, bm is best for this. I would also consider probiotics, which you should use anytime there is an antibiotic. You can get a good powdered variety at many health food stores, that can be mixed into food.

swrc00
05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
DS is formula fed. Is there a certain brand of probiotics to use?

lisams
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Poor guy. That's good that he's eating well.

Diarrhea from antibiotics is caused by the antibiotic killing off the good/healthy bacteria in his gut. Adding sugar (pedialyte) or too much rice cereal if his stomach isn't used to it could possibly make things worse. It could also increase the chances of a yeast infection developing (those kinds of diaper rashes are not fun!). Yeast thrives on sugar.

I'd stick with his normal diet and add a probiotic. When giving a probiotic while on antibiotics, you'll need to give it spaced out. For example, half the probiotic dose 2-4 hours after giving the antibiotic and then again later in the day. If you give the probiotic and antibiotic at the same time, the antibiotic will kill all of the healthy bacteria in the probiotic.

If you have a health food store nearby, the probiotics will be in a fridge. There are several powdered forms made just for infants, that you can mix in with some water and give through a dropper.

I'd offer breastmilk or formula before pedialyte, since his tummy is used to that.

We've been through this so many times when DS was the same age. Another little hint is to slather on a thick barrier cream on his bottom with every diaper change, even if there isn't a rash. That kind of diarrhea can be pretty harsh on their bums.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Edensmum
05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I agree, with bm or formula before pedialyte and probiotic use, a good one, refrigerated frm a health food store, spaced out with antibiotic. This should help with the diarhea, our ped always stresses to use probiotics anytime you have to use an antibiotic.
Hope he feels better.

larig
05-16-2009, 07:38 PM
get some isomil DF (http://abbottnutrition.com/products/products.aspx?pid=238), since he's formula fed instead of pedialyte. It's made for babies who have diarrhea. I found it at a local walgreens, but here is a link to a store locator (http://abbottnutrition.com/store_locator/storelocator.aspx) for it. Our DS had a bad case of it himself a month ago.

swrc00
05-17-2009, 12:17 AM
I got some of the Isomil DF and we will see how that works. Thanks for all the advice.

larig
05-17-2009, 12:49 AM
good luck!

tnrnchick74
05-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Also, is he eating solids? Bananas are a notorious "constipator" as well as giving good electrolytes. I agree with the probiotics - but you have to time them 2 hrs before or after the antibiotics so the meds don't kill off all the good bacteria as well.

Give him a banana as well as the probiotics. It will run its course, and is related to the antibiotics. Very common side effect.