PDA

View Full Version : Finding financial help for medical cond. UPDATED

almostamom
05-16-2009, 06:10 PM
UPDATE: The drug company has agreed to provide the medication my aunt needs free of charge. Thank you again for all of your suggestions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has nothing to do with parenting or children. In fact, it's the opposite end of the spectrum - the elderly. I'm just hoping that there might be someone here who can help to point me in the right direction.

My great aunt is 85. She was just diagnosed with leukemia this week. She has many, many other health issues (complications from a childhood bout with polio, chronic asthma among others). She does not have Medicare and instead has health insurance with Cigna. She was told by her doctor that her treatment would cost $5,000/month (according to my mother, this is the amount my aunt would have to pay). There is absolutely no way she can afford this. She just moved to a smaller apartment to save $200/month. I've looked at the state healthcare assistance program, but her social security is more than the maximum allowed to qualify plus I think she has a small pension. Neither her daughter nor her granddaughter are in a position to offer financial assistance.

My grandmother (Nana) died last year. This is her little sister. I need to try to find a way to help her. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look for help?

TIA,
Linda

o_mom
05-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I would call the hospital and ask to speak with a social worker. They can tell her where to apply and what is available.

hillview
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I would call the hospital and ask to speak with a social worker. They can tell her where to apply and what is available.

:yeahthat:

My experience with social workers in this situation has been amazing.
/hillary

almostamom
05-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Thank you both for the information. I've never been in this situation before, and I just didn't know where to turn. I appreciate your advice.

Linda

Jenny_A
05-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I use to work for the American Cancer Society and I would call 1-800-ACS-2345 and ask if they have any resources for financial assistance in your area. ACS does NOT provide financial assistance, but they have lots of information and contacts. Isn't there a Lukemia Society too, I believe? Call them as well.

Jenny

graciebellesmomma
05-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Please don't worry. People get medical care for catastrophic illness in this country.
My Mom got diagnosed with Breast Cancer 3 years ago. She was 62. Not old enough for
medicare, but too poor for medical coverage. She moved in with us in the SF Bay Area and
got referred to Stanford Cancer Center. She got the best treatment. She was treated with dignity and kindness. She had a mastectomy 3 years ago this August and is going strong. She is still in the cancer program and will be for 5 years. She gets her meds for free, as well as her every 4 months oncologist apts. She gets all of her tests, mris, bone scans, etc. free.

She has two friends her age that both have had cancer since her diagnosis. One lives in New Mexico and one is in Southern Cal. Both of them have had the same sort of experience. I think the important thing is to have an advocate. Talk to your aunt's doctor and ask where her treatment will take place. Then call that hospital/treatment center and ask for a patient advocate. They will meet with you and explain your options. My Mom chose not to have chemo and once she did that, they gave her more options. She was lucky because of her type of cancer. It was estrogen fed, so she takes an estrogen suppressor daily. That is why she has the bone scans. So far, so good. I hope that your aunt has some kind people working for her health!

Sillygirl
05-17-2009, 08:52 AM
A local Area Agency on Aging will also have lots of resources - check the front of her phone book.

tiapam
05-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Ditto on the social worker and ACS. Also, can she get another opinion on treatment? Honestly, at her age and with her current health problems, the treatment could be extremely hard on her. My mom died of cancer last year and it was brutal. She did have surgery first and I think that is not something your aunt will have to deal with, but still, I would try to help her consider all options carefully. Is the $5,000 what Cigna will not cover? Can she switch to Medicare? We switched my mom to another plan after surgery but before other treatment to save money on her care. We were lucky because my sister knew a lot about the ins and outs of this. It is confusing and frustrating. I wish you luck.

BabyMine
05-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Just get on the phone and call everyone you can. From the hospital to the people that make the medications. Don't stop calling people.

I have several chronic conditions and have only survived by reaching out. There are people willing to help you just have to find them.

Good luck and I will pray for your family.

almostamom
05-17-2009, 08:47 PM
You all are fabulous. Thank you for taking the time to reply, for your advice, and for your kind thoughts. They all mean a great deal to me. I'll be on the phone a lot tomorrow! :)

Linda

Mamma2004
05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
You all are fabulous. Thank you for taking the time to reply, for your advice, and for your kind thoughts. They all mean a great deal to me. I'll be on the phone a lot tomorrow! :)

Linda

I just wanted to send along my thoughts for your aunt. I hope you will have great luck on the phone tomorrow, and I'll pray that your aunt does well with her treatment.

MarisaSF
05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Looks like you've gotten great advice, Linda. I didn't know the answer to your question, but wanted to send hugs and good wishes.