PDA

View Full Version : MORE fricken' fracken fraudulent charges on my VISA

bubbaray
05-16-2009, 07:46 PM
OK, so this is the first time *I* actually encountered the charges. Well, I guess they did b/c my card was declined today, so I called them. There were 2 charges yesterday from internet retailers and I virtually never use my VISA card online. Plus, they were from retailers I've never purchased from (one was overstock.com, the other I can't remember).

What a PITA. Last time this happened they sent me a card with a security chip in the card and you need a PIN to use it at some places. I thought this was more secure. Apparently not. To top it off, they won't tell you WHERE the security breach happened -- I'd like to know so I won't use it there again, KWIM? I'm thinking it was a card swipe machine in a parking lot..... But, it could be anywhere, I suppose.

GRRRR. stupid theives.

Toba
05-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Wait, they won't tell you where the charges came from? Or am I misunderstanding? Because that's ridiculous ....

We had this happen several years ago. Almost $1K of charges (two separate charges) from a Massachusetts gas station in a two day period. We live in NJ and hadn't been near Massachusetts in a LONG time and had possession of both of our credit cards. The bank (Capital One) was SO helpful and told exactly where the charge came from and that it was not "swiped" but the number was punched in. From that info, I was able to track down the gas station and talked to the owner. Just a roadside gas station, no major highway station where there would be diesel big rigs or anything and no repair shop. So, pretty impossible to rack up $1K in gas fuel. The owner and I had words (he told me I had no choice but to pay it, but I knew differently). I never followed through to find out what his "investigation" uncovered (I'm sure it was an employee just entering random numbers) because quite frankly I didn't care, wasn't my problem. Capital One canceled the card, overnighted us new cards (at no charge) and apologized profusely. I've heard bad things about them, but I was happy with the way they handled that matter.

bubbaray
05-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm in Canada, so maybe things are different here. But, no, I've been through this repeatedly with VISA and they will not tell me anything about the fraudulent charges, except enough to confirm they are in fact fraudulent.

Toba
05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
They must be different then. My Capital One is a Visa too, but I dealt with the bank that issued the card. Is it possible for you to do it that way? I'm clueless how it works up there ...

Toba
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Just another thought ... could you find the other retailer on your statement that you can't remember and do a whois lookup? Maybe you'll find a pleasant CSR that would help out with tracking it down.

Neatfreak
05-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Do you mean where your card info was illegally captured? I am not sure how VISA would know! I see that as a little different than the situation that Wolfsong is describing ...

How annoying, Melissa! Sorry it's happened again!

bubbaray
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, where the info was captured. Its because if the info was captured/swiped at, say, a Chinese restaurant, they don't want you to not use your card at Chinese restaurants. They want you to use your card as much as possible, KWIM? So, I see why they don't tell. Its just frustrating.

I'm careful with my card, I keep it in my sight, all that stuff. But it still happens. VISA is very good about it. AND, they must have already put an alert on my card because it was declined today after the fraudulent charges that were put on yesterday. So, there must have been something about those transactions that caught the eye of their security people or their computers....

mskitty
05-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm careful with my card, I keep it in my sight, all that stuff. But it still happens. VISA is very good about it. AND, they must have already put an alert on my card because it was declined today after the fraudulent charges that were put on yesterday. So, there must have been something about those transactions that caught the eye of their security people or their computers....

We're dealing with this at our house right now... The credit card security team called us Monday to confirm some suspicious charges on one of our cards last weekend. I was out shopping but all my stuff was local. Turns out someone on one of the coasts was making charges as well. They first verified that both of the cards were in our possession and that we had not authorized any charges from any of the places that had pending charges. They were not sure how our credit card was compromised. My husband is pretty pissed because we've had that card for years and he had the number memorized from using it so much. It bites because we normally put all of our purchases on it for the cash back...

mskitty

Momof3Labs
05-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, where the info was captured. Its because if the info was captured/swiped at, say, a Chinese restaurant, they don't want you to not use your card at Chinese restaurants. They want you to use your card as much as possible, KWIM? So, I see why they don't tell. Its just frustrating.

How would they know where your card was compromised? I don't understand that part. If you used the card at a restaurant and that's where the server stole your number, how would they know when it happened?

It's frustrating, but it sounds like they are trying not to make it your problem, which is good.

MontrealMum
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
We've dealt with this twice recently - once with one of DH's cards, and just last month with one of mine. They told DH at the time (BMO) that they are not allowed to tell you where it happened or where the suspicious charges were made. Maybe it's just Canada then? I dunno...but I think his may have been part of that double swiping at some local gas stations etc. that made The National so maybe it was a "special" case. After a problem a few years back we're now in the habit of calling our respective credit card companies every time we go on vacation so we don't have to deal with our valid purchases being refused jsut because they're in Florida or something - companies seem to be keeping an eagle eye out lately up here with all the cases of fraud.

With mine, (not a bank card, but an MBNA) they did ask if I'd charged plane tickets to Mexico (I wish - at the time ;) ) or the Czech Republic - um, no. Which is what tipped them off. They didn't tell me which airline or travel agent etc. this was done at, but I didn't ask either. They were quite good about fixing the situation and dealing with my panic so I was mostly placated.

Totally sucks though. I was not pleased to hear that I could still make charges on my compromised card while waiting for the new one...but would obviously have to wait each and every time for the merchant to phone them to check it out. Like I'm going to want to do that!

My mom's card was compromised a few years back and she has no internet access (no computer or the wherewithal to use one) and no ATM card - so I wouldn't assume it's internet fraud. In any case, I don't think you *can* know how or why, you just have to be super-vigilant when you get your statements :( So sorry you're dealing w/ this - it's such a PITA!

bubbaray
05-16-2009, 11:25 PM
How would they know where your card was compromised?

Well, they know if the police tell them that server X at restaurant Y was caught with a card scanner, KWIM? Or they know if computers are hacked. Or they know (or seem to know) if certain types of transactions are suspect.....

vahnessuh
05-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Do you buy at Winners or Homesense? I know their credit system was hacked into a few years back... the credit card information from all purchases was stolen. And then about last year or something another thing happened also. I don't know whether it was nationwide... but it definitely was a big thing in Vancouver.

veronica
05-17-2009, 07:58 AM
So sorry you are going through this. It totally sucks and the fact that they know where you can be safer with your card, and are not telling you, is even worse.

I had my gymboree visa used a few weeks ago but was called by their fraud department immediately. I am wondering why the companies for you and other posters are not calling you sooner? My phone call came on a Sunday morning at 8 am to ask whether i had just used it online for some phone place. I said know. the reason they knew was because 20minutes prior, there was a charge for $.01 followed by the larger charge-they said that is typical of people who usually make up numbers until it works.......

I'd be mad that you when to use the card and that is when you found out......they should be calling you right away!

bubbaray
05-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Thinking about this in hindsight, possibly the fraud alert was put on my card after the charges on Friday (the 2 fraudulent ones) by the security people at VISA -- the letter could even be in the mail. I've been caught up in all the prior mass security breaches even though I don't shop at Winners/Homesense/TJMaxx, as well as the very large US one last year. Every time, the security people contact me via letter. I think they probably put the fraud alert on my card and it just doesn't work -- but I've never noticed before because I don't use the card very much. This time it was just fluke that I tried to use it before I got their letter.

It is probably easy for them to figure out the fraudulent charges as I rarely use the card and the charges I make are never online (with this card) and always small (under $100).

natmurr
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I had someone steal $500 out of my chequing acct this week!! I guess they recording my bank card and pin somewhere (Canadian debit card). Thank goodness for the $500 daily limit.

Obviously the bank clued in that it wasn't me taking $500 out of the ATM - they shut down my card immediately.

I'll get the money back from the bank but geesh - what a PITA. JERKS! Now I'm being really careful to cover the pin pad when I use the card - not easy when you're holding a wiggly toddler!

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

Nyfeara
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
It really stinks when this happens. My card info was stolen when someone hacked into a system where they had card info. I had ordered something from Birthday Keepsakes & someone hacked into their system. Thankfully, my bank flagged the card b/c the person using the number online, tried several exp dates before hitting the one that worked. So, no charges ever actually went through.

At the time, I wasn't sure how they had gotten the info. I was getting blank business cards sent to my house, confirmations through the mail of things they ordered but the card was declined, etc. None of these companies where the number was used fraudulently, will give you any info on how, who, where, etc the order was placed. I hate that. I filed all the necessary reports with the local police dept, ic3.gov, and had alerts placed on my info at the credit reporting agencies. Then I got the notice from Birthday Keepsakes.

It had me frantic & worrying about exactly what info they had. It is beyond frustrating that they don't really seem to be into tracking these people down.