PDA

View Full Version : Stupid dog!!!

tnrnchick74
05-17-2009, 03:05 AM
So at 2:30 am I hear DS crying from his room. Fine. I get up, put sandals on, walk to door, slip and fall on something squishy...

I get up covered in dog poop, go to kitchen and clean up as best as I can, wash hands, fix bottle, and get DS taken care of.

THEN I come back to clean the ginormous amount of dog poop IN FRONT of the bedroom door and under the bottom of the door itself.

I finally get that all cleaned up and the floor scrubbed...

I go to the bathroom, wash my hands, and start to climb into bed....

WHEN THE DOG PUKED ON MY PILLOW!!!!

It's now 3 am - I have no clean pillow; the dog is locked in her crate; the washer is going, but DS is back asleep despite my cussing and yelling at the stupid dog!

I'm sorry the dog's tummy is upset, but this is ridiculous!

infomama
05-17-2009, 05:50 AM
OMG that sucks. do something nice for yourself today....middle of the night clean ups are the worst. hope your pup is feeling better soon.

tnrnchick74
05-17-2009, 09:31 AM
We have a cookout to go to later today, but I think the morning is going to be spent lounging in the pool!

natmurr
05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
You are way nicer than me - I would have been dropping that dog off at the shelter on my way to the cookout!!! I guess that's why I don't have any pets!!!!

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

tnrnchick74
05-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, I love my dog and she just started a new flea medicine that upset ALL the dog's tummy's, so I guess I can't be too angry at her. She's not even 2 yet! And she never messes the house. Today is better...and tonite will be even better if DS goes to sleep asap since he didn't take a nap at all today!

misshollygolightly
05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
What an awful night! So sorry!

Tondi G
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ahhhhhh one of those when it rains it pours nights huh!!!! I hope everyone gets better sleep and that your dog is feeling better asap!

Melaine
05-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh my word. I am about to post similarly. Is there a doggy virus going around?

Jo..
05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
You are way nicer than me - I would have been dropping that dog off at the shelter on my way to the cookout!!! I guess that's why I don't have any pets!!!!

Wow, I'm very glad you don't have any pets, and I bet the pets are grateful too!:47:

Jo..
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
This sucks, and it happened to me once after I used a flea product on my dog. I read the reviews later and found out it caused similar problems in many dogs, and I was lucky I didn't kill them. I forget what brand it was. (Maybe Rada can chime in).

Do you remember what brand you used? It really shouldn't make your poor doggie sick. The one we switched to (Frontline Plus) is great.

Piglet
05-19-2009, 05:09 PM

OMG!! What do you do when your kids are sick? Where do you drop them off? What is the shelter supposed to do with a sick dog? I am shaking my head at this and I am totally NOT a pet person.

Radosti
05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Hartz is very dangerous to animals. It's killed many many dogs and cats, yet somehow it's still on the market.

I'd stick with the top three brands: Frontline Plus, Advantix, or Revolution. I'd never ever use anything else because of the toxicity levels in the cheapo brands.

Radosti
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

You have got to be kidding me!!! Does a sick family member also warrant abandonment? It's not like the dog wanted to be sick. She got sick from an unsafe flea medication. She couldn't control how violently sick she got.

tnrnchick74
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
This sucks, and it happened to me once after I used a flea product on my dog. I read the reviews later and found out it caused similar problems in many dogs, and I was lucky I didn't kill them. I forget what brand it was. (Maybe Rada can chime in).

Do you remember what brand you used? It really shouldn't make your poor doggie sick. The one we switched to (Frontline Plus) is great.

It was a new pill - and the directions said to give with a full meal...but we only gave 1 cookie. So it truly is my fault and I should have known better. We've used frontline but the fleas are now immune and the vet recommended this. We've tried holistic remedies, but she gets skin reactions and other problems...so back to the meds.

Next month I will make sure to give it with a FULL MEAL AND cookies! Plus I will give it RIGHT at bedtime so if there is a problem, it will be during the day!

tnrnchick74
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
OMG!! What do you do when your kids are sick? Where do you drop them off? What is the shelter supposed to do with a sick dog? I am shaking my head at this and I am totally NOT a pet person.

I agree, and was a little upset when I read the original comment, but some people don't understand the bond a person has with their pet can be almost as strong as the one with their child.

tnrnchick74
05-19-2009, 06:15 PM
You have got to be kidding me!!! Does a sick family member also warrant abandonment? It's not like the dog wanted to be sick. She got sick from an unsafe flea medication. She couldn't control how violently sick she got.

It's not an unsafe flea medicine - this makes it sound that I haven't researched flea meds and alternative treatments...it was my inability to do what the directions stated. It's prescription, from the vet, well tested...and safe IF you give it with a full meal...which I forgot to do!

Radosti
05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Is it Program? My dogs have always reacted very poorly to Program, I refuse to use it to this day. I'd try advantix or revolution before Program. But I honestly can't imagine fleas becoming immune to Frontline Plus. Maybe she got the wrong dosage or it got washed off before the 3 days were up?

Radosti
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Sorry, I wasn't getting upset with you, but with the comment about dropping the dog off at a shelter.

gatorsmom
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I get up, put sandals on, walk to door, slip and fall on something squishy...

I get up covered in dog poop, go to kitchen and clean up as best as I can, wash hands, fix bottle, and get DS taken care of.

WHEN THE DOG PUKED ON MY PILLOW!!!!

Just when i was thinking that stepping in dog poop was THE worst....nope. Puke on the pillow wins. :barf:

LOL. I was just thinking that NOTHING has made me jump out of bed faster than the sound of our last dog make wretching sounds while sleeping in our bed with us. I never knew I could move so fast. :D

Hope tonight is uneventful.

tnrnchick74
05-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Is it Program? My dogs have always reacted very poorly to Program, I refuse to use it to this day. I'd try advantix or revolution before Program. But I honestly can't imagine fleas becoming immune to Frontline Plus. Maybe she got the wrong dosage or it got washed off before the 3 days were up?

Nope - it's Comfortis. In FL its become a very bad problem with fleas becoming immune to topical flea meds. I've never used Program because of many reports of bad side effects. Comfortis is supposed to be better and ALSO helps to kill fleas in the yard so you don't have to spray more toxic chemicals on the grass as well. The dosage of Frontline was right, applied exactly as instructed and not allowed to get wet for 4 days.

tnrnchick74
05-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Sorry, I wasn't getting upset with you, but with the comment about dropping the dog off at a shelter.

I understand that! But just know that I'm just as concerned with my dog's safety as I am with my son's. I'm an RN and a little anal retentive about researching things for my dog and son. I would never give a medication to either without weighing risks/benefits. My only mistake was thinking that a small snack would coat her tummy well enough for the pill. When they say give on a full stomach...they mean it!

tnrnchick74
05-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Just when i was thinking that stepping in dog poop was THE worst....nope. Puke on the pillow wins. :barf:

LOL. I was just thinking that NOTHING has made me jump out of bed faster than the sound of our last dog make wretching sounds while sleeping in our bed with us. I never knew I could move so fast. :D

Hope tonight is uneventful.

Yep - the puke in the hair/ear was a joy at 3 am! I'm not sure which was worse though - the sticky warmness on my pillow or the smelly present on my feet, etc.

So far, so good - no more issues after the 1st nite! And she's still with me - no "dumping" her anywhere (not that I would ever do that!)

o_mom
05-20-2009, 07:49 AM

We have used Program and Sentinal for years with no issues.

Radosti
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Good luck next month with it. But if she reacts poorly on a full stomach too, I'd say to switch after that.

kransden
05-20-2009, 11:26 PM

I thought the person was being silly. I know I think the same evil thoughts when 16+ year old cat has a diarrhea fiesta in the house. :D

Piglet
05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Silly or not, it sends a bad message about pets being disposable. The reason I am not a pet person is that I don't think I could ever love a pet like a family member, but anyone I know that has pets loves them like their children. I think a comment like that is at best in poor taste and at worse insanely insensitive and cruel.

almostamom
05-21-2009, 02:05 AM
I think it's a good thing you're a nurse because if either of those events had happened in my house, I would have been sick right along side the dog! Why is it that I can handle puke or poop from my kid without any issue, but if the dog ever does either, my gag reflex goes crazy? I hope the dog is doing better and you've been able to get some calm, smooshy-free sleep! :hug:

tnrnchick74
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Well, I will admit that the poop almost made me puke as well...

But puppy is better, no more episodes and sleep has been great! Even DS has been sleeping, for the most part!

tnrnchick74
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Silly or not, it sends a bad message about pets being disposable. The reason I am not a pet person is that I don't think I could ever love a pet like a family member, but anyone I know that has pets loves them like their children. I think a comment like that is at best in poor taste and at worse insanely insensitive and cruel.

I agree it sends a bad message, but I tried to take the comment as a joke. I think that its jsut responsible to analyze your own situation and decide if pet ownership is for you or not. I couldn't imagine life without my dog...and she was here before my son. Sometimes life sends you in directions that pets and children do not mix, or you can't give the pet the attention it requires...and the only humane thing to do is to find a good home with a family that can give the pet what he/she needs. But that is always a last case scenario.

natmurr
05-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Whoa - maybe you need to relax a little. I was not being "cruel" to the OP - in fact I was commending her for having more patience than I ever could.

I am not a pet person - I cannot for the life of me understand why people spend thousands of dollars and endless time on domesticated animals. I did not grow up with pets, I don't feel like I've missed out on something.

Flame away but I think "owning" a pet is incredibly selfish. Breeding, cross-breeding, the billon-dollar pet industry - its just not natural. To me "owning" a pet is just another way people attempt to fill up that "empty void". I also have issues with the notion of "owning" anything that has a brain and breathes - its reminds me of slavery.

I wish pet "owners" would take the time and money they spend on their pets and use it to help people, our environment and natural wildlife.

I understand that many pet "owners" are very responsible and do the best they can to care for their pet, but I know that there are just as many -if not more irresponsible ones. I also appreciate the benefit that service animals can provide - my nephew's classmate has a lovely service dog that helps her to get through the day on her own.

Of course these are my opinions I'm not asking you to agree.

I make no apologies for my opinions. I'm sorry if some of you took my comments the wrong way. I've seen plenty of responses to bitches on this board that began "well if that were my DH......" I guess pets are more sacred than husbands!

To those who implied that I would "abandon my children" - that's just rude.

So that's it, I'll jump down off my soapbox!

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

tnrnchick74
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Flame away but I think "owning" a pet is incredibly selfish. Breeding, cross-breeding, the billon-dollar pet industry - its just not natural. To me "owning" a pet is just another way people attempt to fill up that "empty void". I also have issues with the notion of "owning" anything that has a brain and breathes - its reminds me of slavery.

I wish pet "owners" would take the time and money they spend on their pets and use it to help people, our environment and natural wildlife.

Ok, now as the OP I WILL take offense to this. How do you know what its like ot have a pet as you have just admitted to never owning one? I don't think its slavery...unless you look at is as the owner is beholden to the animal to provide for its physical, mental, and emotional needs...kinda like having children!

I didn't get a dog to fill a "void" (just like I didn't have a child to fill a void either)- I enjoy animals and decided to open my heart to an animal. Do I get something out of it? Yes. Just like parenthood - I get companionship, friendship, attention, but I also get poop at my front door in the middle of the night! It goes with the territory!

And I do my part for the environment and to help other people. I'm an RN for gosh sakes! I help people 24/7! MY pet also helps people - she helps my son learn to be gentle to others, responsibility, friendship, play, and serves as a source of entertainment. Those are lessons that are important, at least to me.

I'm sorry you feel that way about animals. I truly am. But I'm glad you are not "selfish" enough to bring one into your home.

tnrnchick74
05-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I never would have thought that a seemingly innocent, and somewhat funny, bitch would end up starting a "discussion" about the value of pet ownership. It was not my intention either!

Jo..
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Whoa - maybe you need to relax a little....
I cannot for the life of me understand why people spend thousands of dollars and endless time on domesticated animals. Flame away but I think "owning" a pet is incredibly selfish.

Wow, wow, wow. This is one of the rudest, most ignorant posts I have ever read.

Having a pet is a mutually beneficial arrangement for the pet and the family. Domesticated animals crave human love and companionship. Having a pet as part of your family has been shown to decrease blood pressure and stress, and fosters compassion in people.

I understand that not all people are pet lovers, but you just come off as nasty and bitter. If you hate animals so much, you should stay out of pet threads, because what you wrote is VERY offensive.

bubbaray
05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, wow, wow. This is one of the rudest, most ignorant posts I have ever read.

Having a pet is a mutually beneficial arrangement for the pet and the family. Domesticated animals crave human love and companionship. Having a pet as part of your family has been shown to decrease blood pressure and stress, and fosters compassion in people.

I understand that not all people are pet lovers, but you just come off as nasty and bitter. If you hate animals so much, you should stay out of pet threads, because what you wrote is VERY offensive.

a big :yeahthat: to Jo's post.

I too get that some people aren't pet people. Fine. But to say that those who DO love pets are selfish is really uncalled for.

If the PP thinks that there would be service dogs if wolves hadn't been domesticated centuries ago, well, she doesn't know much about how the dog has evolved over time. You don't just go into the wild and find a service dog. They are bred (at considerable expense, even if you don't factor in all the prior centuries of breeding!) to serve man. Wild dogs and wolves are NOT service animals and never will be.

Putting the service animal argument aside, dogs have been bred for a variety of reasons over the centuries -- not the least of which is the joy and companionship they bring to their humans.

I love my dog. I completely *get* the OP's frustration with the puking, pooping, etc. -- BTDT. But to for a subsequent poster to say that those of us who are pet owners are "incredibly selfish" demonstrates a complete ignorance of the role of pets and the benefits they bring to humans.

BargainMomforLuke
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Flame away but I think "owning" a pet is incredibly selfish.

Natalie
DS - 2003
DD - 2005
DS - 2007

Dealing with Troublesome Users

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

TonFirst
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't believe I'm sticking my toe in this hot mess, but this:

"I also have issues with the notion of "owning" anything that has a brain and breathes - its reminds me of slavery."

I love my dog, but he's not a human being. Slaves, however, were - and are - slavery continues to this day. And to compare dog ownership to slave ownership truly marginalizes and minimizes the brutality and inhumanity of slavery.

It's like a 16-year-old punk who says that his high school principal is "a Nazi." Is the principal an asshole? Maybe. But a Nazi? No way, and making a comparison like that only serves to diminish the brutality of the history behind your mindless epithet.

(Plus - Godwin's Law! Drink!)

natmurr
05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
If you play with the bull, be prepared to get the horns - In other words, there's nothing wrong with bitching to a bunch of strangers but just don't be surprised if you hear something in response that you don't like.

If nothing else, thank you guys for 15 minutes of entertainment today.

tnrnchick74
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
If you play with the bull, be prepared to get the horns - In other words, there's nothing wrong with bitching to a bunch of strangers but just don't be surprised if you hear something in response that you don't like.

If nothing else, thank you guys for 15 minutes of entertainment today.

There is a BIG difference with not agreeing with someone's opinion and making blatent judgemental and offensive comments. To call someone selfish because they choose to have a pet is offensive.

I shared the story to vent for a second and share what is truly a funny story at my expense. But instead of venting, I have been called selfish, not environmentally conscious and not being willing to help people in need because I own a pet.

I have learned a valuable lesson...you posts will be ignored for the crap that they are.

Jo..
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Don't let her make you feel bad.:hug5:

Is your doggie feeling better now??

MamaMolly
05-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Will probably need a kevlar laptop for this but...in a way (let me repeat, *in a way*) I agree somewhat with Natalie. I do NOT in any way liken pet ownership to slavery. I have happily owned many types of pets over the years and have loved them deeply. We don't currently own any pets but certainly plan to in the future. I think owning a pet is one of the best ways to teach our children to be caretakers.

Here is what I do agree with: Sometimes I see commercials for Fancy Feast cat food(with beautiful photos of salmon, etc. and Beneful dog food with fresh veggies and chunks of lovely meat falling out of the dogfood bag and it upsets me to think of all the people who are going hungry right now while we feed our pets this quality (made to seem like human food grade) of food. It seems cold to feed your dog or cat lamb and rice when the neighbors are going hungry. As much as I have loved my pets, I can't put them in the same category as my human family. When DD was diagnosed with a severe cat allergy (along with food allergies, but all of them requiring an epi-pen) I didn't find a good home for DD, I found a good home for the cat! ;)

Anyway, I took Natalie's comment as an off hand remark by someone who doesn't have/want pets. I think she doesn't know what she is missing, but that it is probably the best thing for all involved. :)

Radosti
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Here is what I do agree with: Sometimes I see commercials for Fancy Feast cat food(with beautiful photos of salmon, etc. and Beneful dog food with fresh veggies and chunks of lovely meat falling out of the dogfood bag and it upsets me to think of all the people who are going hungry right now while we feed our pets this quality (made to seem like human food grade) of food. It seems cold to feed your dog or cat lamb and rice when the neighbors are going hungry. As much as I have loved my pets, I can't put them in the same category as my human family. When DD was diagnosed with a severe cat allergy (along with food allergies, but all of them requiring an epi-pen) I didn't find a good home for DD, I found a good home for the cat! ;)

OK, this is where I step in. I kept my mouth shut because I had nothing more to add the responses Natalie's trolling has received. Here, however, I need to add something, if just to educate those who DO care about what they feed their pets. Just because you see commercials for Fancy feast and Beneful telling people how wonderful those foods are, make no mistake they are the dirtiest nastiest crap I would never put in my pets' food bowls. They are made with some of the worst ingredients, down to sweeping up blood-soaked woodchips after slaughtering cattle and adding them to the food as a "fiber" source. Welcome to animal by-products. Fancy Feast was recalled along with a mess of other sub-par foods due to melamine content. The melamine that killed off babies in China who drank it in their formula, and thousands of pets here in the US who ate the tainted foods. I feed my pets organic food because I am terrified of what ends up in the supermarket brands. Kidney failure is not something I want to deal with.

While it's true that there are people who are starving, there are so many benefits to owning pets. Feeding them quality food saves you money down the road in vet bills. Under no circumstances will you find "quality" in a supermarket unless it's one that carries some organic brands (mine carries Castor and Pollux Organix).

o_mom
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
n/m.... so not worth getting into it.

MamaMolly
05-21-2009, 11:13 PM
OK, this is where I step in. I kept my mouth shut because I had nothing more to add the responses Natalie's trolling has received. Here, however, I need to add something, if just to educate those who DO care about what they feed their pets. Just because you see commercials for Fancy feast and Beneful telling people how wonderful those foods are, make no mistake they are the dirtiest nastiest crap I would never put in my pets' food bowls. They are made with some of the worst ingredients, down to sweeping up blood-soaked woodchips after slaughtering cattle and adding them to the food as a "fiber" source. Welcome to animal by-products. Fancy Feast was recalled along with a mess of other sub-par foods due to melamine content. The melamine that killed off babies in China who drank it in their formula, and thousands of pets here in the US who ate the tainted foods. I feed my pets organic food because I am terrified of what ends up in the supermarket brands. Kidney failure is not something I want to deal with.

While it's true that there are people who are starving, there are so many benefits to owning pets. Feeding them quality food saves you money down the road in vet bills. Under no circumstances will you find "quality" in a supermarket unless it's one that carries some organic brands (mine carries Castor and Pollux Organix).

Hi Rada, I always appreciate you chiming in on the pet threads, mostly because I learn so much from what you have to say.

I don't think I did a good job saying what I was trying to. I'm not advocating giving pets low quality food, as I agree that isn't taking good care of the pet. I'm more complaining about the marketing and commercials I see that make it look like Fido and Fluffy is eating (even ought to be eating) beef stew. I support giving a pet food that is appropriate to their actual/natural dietary make up.

Bloody woodchips? That is so gross and dangerous! They make it seem like really beautiful high quality 'people' food goes into it commercial pet food. Believe me, I wouldn't want any pet to eat woodchips! (ok, except the gnawing rodent kind of pet that is supposed to chew wood, but you know what I mean ;)) And anyone who intentionally poisons pets is going to a very deep level of hell in my book.

I'm not being bitchy, I really don't know if wild canines eat grains. I thought they are scavengers and eat mostly meat, organs and bones. Would rice or potatoes (or any grain) be beneficial or is it all marketing that makes people think that it is a good idea? Is it just used to bulk up food? And veggies like peas and carrots? I know that my dogs have eaten grass when they have upset tummies and cats eat herbs like catnip and heck I even grew grass seed for my indoor kitties, but what about actual veggies for dogs?

Anyway, my issue is more...hypothetical, if you will. I certainly don't advocate giving pets bad or unhealthy food. I was really musing and thinking of those commercials and the message they send.

sste
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
My issue with the "grain free" foods is that they have potato or rice starch in them. A starch is a starch whether it is a grain or not!! In fact, I think there is an argument that starches like potatoes have a much higher glycemic load (sugar release) then complex grains, oatmeals, etc. But, I do think the grain free have higher levels of protein and fat so that we are thinking of switching to them, even with the potatoes.

Radosti
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm not being bitchy, I really don't know if wild canines eat grains. I thought they are scavengers and eat mostly meat, organs and bones. Would rice or potatoes (or any grain) be beneficial or is it all marketing that makes people think that it is a good idea? Is it just used to bulk up food? And veggies like peas and carrots? I know that my dogs have eaten grass when they have upset tummies and cats eat herbs like catnip and heck I even grew grass seed for my indoor kitties, but what about actual veggies for dogs?

Anyway, my issue is more...hypothetical, if you will. I certainly don't advocate giving pets bad or unhealthy food. I was really musing and thinking of those commercials and the message they send.

Well, wild animals eat what they need. Domesticated animals do too if given the chance. You should see my dogs cleaning up every berry, fruit and vegetable that gets dropped from the highchair. A neighbor's lab carefully picks blackberries that have fallen in the grass off my blackberry bushes. I think the same applies in nature, animals are drawn to what gives them the vitamins and minerals they need to survive. So, I think a certain amount of grains and veggies are necessary in the commercial diets. Even people who feed raw to their dogs still include some grains/veggies and fruit as part of the food prep.

kransden
05-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I can personally tell you about chicken by-products. I worked in chicken plants to put myself through college in the 80s. We made huge boxes of liver that shipped to pet companies. It was the same liver sent to grocery stores. We would even pull the stray gallbladder off of it, if there was one, because we have pets too. The by-products are just ground up guts, beaks, and feathers - no blood. While disgusting, there are no wood chips etc.or other foreign matter in it anymore than you would find in human food. These are plants that are inspected by the USDA. There aren't separate factories to process chicken for pet food. The Tyson plant was extremely clean. What happens at pork or beef plants I don't know. I also don't know what happens at the pet food processing plants.
So buy pet food with chicken :).