PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite toy storage system?

firsttimemama
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I need to buy storage for DS' toys. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the cube shelf with the canvas bins from Target vs. the IKEA Trofast system. Or any other type I should know about?

SnuggleBuggles
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
When ds1 was little we did the dow rod/ plastic bin storage system from Target because it made things easier for him to be able to easily see what was in each container. It worked out pretty well. This is what I am talking about:
http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Kids%E2%80%99-12-Bin-Organizer-Primary/dp/B000LRBNK8/qid=1242611066/ref=br_1_6/191-5794301-8356539?ie=UTF8&node=3073811&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

We now have Itso system from Target and I am quite happy with it. We configured a set up that works for our space and toys. We have the 1X2 cube with shelf, a 1X1 cube with shelf that he have fabric drawers in, a 1X1 cube with no shelf and a 1X2 tall with door. It is a nice little system.
http://www.target.com/itso-Storage-Organization-Home/b/ref=sc_iw_r_12_1/191-5794301-8356539?node=618273011

Finally, in ds1's room I have this bookshelf from Target (yes, we love Target!) and it holds his books, his Matchbox play centers and then in the 3 chalkboard bins we have cars and trains. It's really handy and I like the construction of it.
http://www.target.com/Natural-Bookcase-Medium/dp/B000HKPXEQ/qid=1242611589/ref=br_1_6/191-5794301-8356539?ie=UTF8&node=13988031&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I wasn't into the Expedit or Cubical systems because I don't want to lose stuff in the back plus I just never really loved it. Lots of people really like them though.

Beth

pamxch
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I had no idea Target had such great options for kids storage. I thought I was going to have to trek a couple hours away to visit the nearest Ikea.

MontrealMum
05-18-2009, 12:08 AM
We have the Ikea Trofast system - but wouldn't have had the choice of Target, there aren't any in Canada. I can't really comment about the Target ones as I've never seen them in person. What I like about the Trofast is the wide range of configurations, and that they're at a height low enough for DS to access his toys by himself. I also like that the bins are plastic - since they are easy to wipe down. For some reason DS likes to play while sitting in them and we've had a few accidents that needed cleaning up!

goldenpig
05-18-2009, 02:22 AM
We have the Land of Nod cube bookshelves and canvas bins. We also have the play table with two large bins underneath. They work great for books and toys. Her playroom now is organized which is great! Now I have to figure out what to do with they toys in the living room.

mm123
05-18-2009, 08:44 AM
We use Closetmaid Cubeicals- got them at Lowes. They come in numerous configurations, and also have doors you can buy, or fabric drawers that fit inside. So far, we love them! Not very expensive, either.

Can't figure out how to post a picture, but you should be able to find them on the Lowes website.

cindys
05-18-2009, 08:58 AM
We also have the Ikea bins and love them..

endlessheather
05-18-2009, 02:14 PM
We have the Ikea Trofast (posted a pic in the playroom thread not long ago I think it was). We love the organization it provides and how much storage it has, especially the deep bins for those HUGE cars and trucks. Our 1 year old can pull the drawers out easily and best of all, we can't see the mess! It's interesting that once we got it all set up for them, things started going back into their places. The blocks in one bin and he always puts them back in that bin. The little guy knows that a certain bin has magnetos and he's always into that one.

We do have a Bookshelf from Company Store that we were using with little baskets but it's not the movie shelf and then some other toys up top. At the very least, it's nice to have some storage where your toys are in bins or baskets so it's not looking so cluttered.

gobadgers
05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
We have an Expedit in our main room (5x5) and the Target cubicles (2x4) and canvas bins in DD's room. I don't have any experience with the Trofast system though.

I like the look of the Target canvas bins, but one minor complaint I have is that the bins are not very sturdy. Since they are sold folded up, those side creases tend to bow out and try to collapse if I load too much bulky or heavy stuff in them - also they have frustrated DD on occasion when they get deformed enough that she can't fit them back into the cubicles. But despite that, I would probably buy them again if I had to go back - they're cute and can't beat the price!

WatchingThemGrow
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
For our living room, we have one PBK Cameron base and cubby set. i like that it is real wood and blends in. Unfortunately, we ran out of room in the kids' rooms and have a white PBK train table in there too. The bins hold A LOT in them with the plastic containers we have nestled in there.

I put one of the Target dowel rod/plastic box things inside our coat closet because I can't stand to look at those things OUT in a room, but the kids can easily open the door and find the Snap N Style dolls, Mr. Potato Head, etc. resting in their boxes.

In their rooms, we use the Young America bookcases we purchased with their beds, dressers, etc. We have some of the canvas bins with a metal frame inside them on the shelves. I like that we can label the bins (if i weren't lazy), they are colorful to match the rooms, and they are easy to slide back on the shelves.

We also use the pedestals under our front loading washer to hold random toys. We have stuff in every room, so no "big" system to hold everything.

bubbaray
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Another Ikea Trofast user here. We are likely going to get another Trofast set and an Expedit set for our front hall this fall.

brittone2
05-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Expedit in our main living area (very long wall). We don't have a dedicated playroom.

We have a bunch of Branas baskets (Ikea as well) to hold some stuff out of site. I am always adding more to our unit.

I also like that w/ the Expedit, I can put things on higher shelves that I don't want kids to have total unfettered access to (toys w/ tons of pieces, toys with super tiny parts that I didn't want DS to have out when DD was still putting things in her mouth, etc.). That way they could be taken out *if* I was in the mood to supervise, etc. and that was helpful.

I also used to keep a lot of our books up high when the kids would go through stages of pulling all the books off the shelves. I kept a small basket easily accessible and everything else up high. Fortunately they are of ages that they no longer rip everything off the shelf anymore.

nellonello
05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
We use the Land of Nod Storagepalozza: http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=159&f=4072&pc=9