PDA

View Full Version : have a ?? about Microfiber & having a cat with claws

TraciG
05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
does anyone know how this would be, to have a Microfiber couch while having a cat with sharp claw's ? Our brown leather chair is destroyed & our beige colored leather couch has scratch's , so we are wondering how the Microfiber would be. She scratch's it from jumping on & off of it. Also how is the fabric with kid's ?

thanks

JBaxter
05-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Leather is tougher than microfiber. My friend is not happy with the way her microfiber cleans up she has a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. Mystery grease spots from the kids just appear for her. If your cat is hard on leather it will be so on any fabric.

TraciG
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
it seem's as long a smy cat is alive I wont have nice furniture ! Next time I would get a cat that was already declawed .

kransden
05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
You can use Soft Paws. Basically you super glue claw covers on the cat. http://www.safepetproducts.com/soft-claws.html?gclid=CP26oYDuxJoCFRIcawodTiVVrg

It works very well, but you have to keep up with them. After the inital applications, you will need to replace them about once a month. My cats didn't seem to mind.

SnuggleBuggles
05-17-2009, 11:02 PM
We have had zero problems with our cat and out microfiber furniture.

Don't declaw. Most vets won't do it at all anymore because it is pretty cruel.

We tried Soft Paws but our cat was like the 1% that didn't take well to them. She managed to get the tips chewed off and, well, that was a dud.

Beth

kijip
05-17-2009, 11:03 PM
We had a terrible experience with microfiber and we don't even have pets. I don't think it resists staining at all.

If the cat is destroying leather, it will make quick work of any fabric. Is it just from jumping or is she scratching on it too? I would make sure she has something else to scratch at- my brother has a tower climbing thing for their (not-declawed) cats and their furniture is fine.

TraciG
05-18-2009, 10:45 AM
We have a big UGLY cat tree, she doesn't scratch the couch it's from walking on it or jumping on & off it. I could barely hold my cat, there is NO WAY she'd let me put something on her claw's !

I wouldn't declaw a cat I would just like to GET one that it was already done to if I ever got another cat .

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
My vet put the Softpaws on.

My cat scratched all of our other furniture but she can't seem to grip the microfiber.

Beth

almostmom
05-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I LOVE my microfiber couch. We got it from Jennifer Convertibles, and it is light tan. Every single thing that has tried to stain it has come off easily with just soap and water - we've had it for 4 years. And we sit on it (and usually eat dinner on it) every day, as we have a small house. Grease, dirt, yellow highlighter - all have come off easily!

We also have a cat with claws. He has done a bit of damage to the arm rests, which he likes to use as a scratching post. If I could just get my act togehter and get arm covers for this part of the couch, it'd be fine. I do try and remember to drape a hand towel there, now that I see what he's been doing, and that works. I just need to remember to do it! He doesn't do the pushy pushy thing directly on the couch ever, but he will do it on a blanket on the couch. The main part of the couch doesn't have any cat damage.

So for me, I vote 100% for microfiber. It is comfortable and looks amazing after a lot of use for 4 years.

daniele_ut
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
We have had our microfiber couch for just over 4 years now and it seriously still looks brand new. Everything that has been spilled on it has wiped off with water. DS even drew on it with a ballpoint pen and I was able to get it all off with, of all things, hand sanitzer. I'm sure there are different grades of fabric, but we only paid $300 for our couch on sale (originally $800) and I couldn't be happier with it.

We would like to eventually get a leather couch, but want to be able to afford a good quality one so we are waiting. Our couch is in our living room, which until 6 months ago was not used nearly as much as our family room. We are still finishing the family room in our new house, so the couch has seen a lot more use lately and still looks great.