PDA

View Full Version : BF mamas...do you/did you give your infant supplemental Vitamin D?

jerseygirl07067
05-17-2009, 11:36 PM
My pediatrician said the AAP now recommends it, but we live in FL and he said Brianna probably doesn't need it and kind of poopoo'd it saying ,"if I didn't tell you about it, I'd be a bad doctor" and then went on to joke that his wife probably misplaced the bottle they're supposed to be giving to their 5 month old.

I do live in FL, and I do take supplemental vit D for myself and have throughout my whole pregnancy. However, I can't say we've been out in the sun much lately since we've been home from the hospital. From what I've read, infants get vitamin D from the mother's BM (as long as the mother is not deficient - but many are without knowing), and from a combo of sun exposure.

So do you think Vit D is necessary? It seems weird that I have to give a supplemental vitamin when BFing, but I want to do the right thing, for the health of my baby. I figured I'd get good input here too.

infomama
05-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally I said no but I totally spaced Tri Vi Sol...gave them that one.

MontrealMum
05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, it's standard to give bf babies Vit. D in Canada. No idea how living further south would affect that or not. Vit. D is one of the things that infants do not get from the mother's milk, though they might get it from sun exposure that far south.

sste
05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
We gave trivisol and then later poly vi sol but we were not militant about it. We tried to get it into him 2-3 times a week and our ped said that was all he needed. My thinking was that this was a very low cost, low hassle "insurance policy" against any vitamin d issues. Also, I think our trivisol was flavored - - our DS loved it, sometimes it was the only thing that would quiet him down!!

bubbaray
05-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes, it's standard to give bf babies Vit. D in Canada. No idea how living further south would affect that or not. Vit. D is one of the things that infants do not get from the mother's milk, though they might get it from sun exposure that far south.

:yeahthat:

Vit. D supplementation is pushed VERY hard here from birth. I stopped once the girls reached 12m. However, with DD#2 my dr recently told me at her 2y check that I should have continued it with her (whoops).

tylersmama
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I did, for a couple of reasons. One was that our ped recommended it. The second was that it gave me an excuse to "need" to pump and give one bottle a day, to put the vitamin in. Without that excuse, I probably wouldn't have been as disciplined about pumping regularly, which probably wouldn't have been a horrible thing, but allowed me to build up a small stash and ensure that DS took a bottle.

kijip
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
We give him a 1/2 dose or so most days, but not everyday. Our doctor thinks that is sufficient. He also gets 3-4 ounces of formula a few days a week (not for the vitamins, but because sometimes I just don't have enough pumped milk).

bubbaray
05-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I should add, I EBFd and neither girl took bottles -- you don't need to use bottles to give it. Its just like giving infant Tylenol, it comes with an eyedropper and you just squirt it into their mouths. It tastes like applejuice.

mommyp
05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
We are in CA and we did do vitamin D (Tri-Vi-Sol without iron) drops for DD while BFing. I recall reading (on a thread here I think) that the RDA for vitamin D was recently increased.

TwinFoxes
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes, polyvisol. Our NICU nurse and then our pediatricians both told us about the AAP recommendation. And at the time we lived in California, plenty of sunshine there. Apparently, babies were developing rickets from vitamin D deficiency. I wonder if it's because moms are more conscientious about wearing sunblock these days, so they aren't absorbing vitamin D?

wellyes
05-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I remember an article in the NY Times about an increased incidence of rickets due to lack of vitamin D for EBF babies. On the other hand, the only reports that I've heard about mother's milk giving enough vitamin D come from the mothering.com forum posters who believe that stories like that are nothing but a tactic from formula companies to undermine breastfeeding.

I chose to go the "better safe than sorry" route & give Tri-Vi-Sol a couple times a week. I've been giving since birth. I nursed exclusive for 6 months then started solids & nursing together. DD is 13 months now and my ped says to keep giving it to her. Which is no problem since she LOVES the stuff.

Some time in the sun would work just as well, of course, but that is harder to gauge, and since sunscreen isn't generally recommended for babies under 6 months I think the supplement is an easier and possibly slightly safer solution.

o_mom
05-18-2009, 07:53 AM
We did with DS1 because he was more of a winter baby. If we have another I probably will given the increasing research on the importance of Vit D and how just getting the minimum to prevent rickets isn't really enough. I would look into D-drops for supplementing - since you can't usually find just D for infants, but only tri or poly vi sol: http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=14069

JenaW
05-18-2009, 08:01 AM
None of my kids (as infants) ever took vitamins. Not because I am morally opposed to them, but mainly because I could never remember. Not a great excuse, I know. I do recall reading somewhere that 10-20 min of sun a day is fine (even here in upstate NY), and Vit D can even be absorbed through clouds (but not sunscreen). We are an outdoorsy family, so I just try to make sure that even the babes get some sun on their hands/feet. I can not prove for sure that they are getting enough, but we haven't had any problems so far. My pedi said it was up to us. We did start Flinstones (generic) with the older ones when I was preg this last time as that is what I took too. If you can get your babies to take it (where di you all get the flavored ones??) and you remember, go for it. It certainly can't hurt.

J

ThreeofUs
05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes, vitamin d drops from Carlson. And you're right on target with your thoughts about being inside vs out; some of the cases of clinical vitamin D deficiency were in the South. You have to either get sunshine or get the vitamin otherwise to prevent rickets, etc.

kedss
05-18-2009, 08:51 AM
nope, it wasn't something our pediatrician pushed, and we are outside a lot.

JBaxter
05-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I live in MD and have 4 boys none were ebf due to supply issues but I have never had a ped recommend vitamin anything for my boys. So no and esp in FL ???

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Like JeraW I have nothing against them but I never remembered to give the vitamins.

Beth

TwinFoxes
05-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I live in MD and have 4 boys none were ebf due to supply issues but I have never had a ped recommend vitamin anything for my boys. So no and esp in FL ???

The recommendations for vitamin D supplementation has only been in the last few years or so, so your pediatrician wouldn't have said anything for your first three boys even if they had ebf.

To the OP, even the La Leche League now agrees that vitamin D deficiency can be a problem. Of course they don't recommend giving babies supplements, because that goes against their core message of only breast milk. They say moms should make sure they have enough vitamin D in their bodies.

http://www.llli.org/Release/ImportanceVitaminD.html

Here's an interesting NY Times article about rickets (this came out before the AAP raised the recommended dosage to 400 iu

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/health/research/26rick.html

And an FAQ from the AAP:

http://www.aap.org/family/vitdpatients.htm

It seems to me that rickets is rare, but that vitamin D deficiency can cause other problems. For me it makes sense to give my girls drops because they didn't really go out the first several months of their lives, and because they are 1/2 African American and we don't absorb vitamin D as easily.

JBaxter
05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
I have a 6 month old who is 50-50 and my ped still hasnt said anything. I would probably forgo them anyway. They dont seem necessary here

BeachBum
05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
We live in FL too and I do not give them.

daisymommy
05-18-2009, 10:40 AM
No, I didn't, and won't with this one. 10-15 minutes a day of sun exposure is all they need to form enough on their own. And I don't mean "Summer sun" either. As long as you can see the sun, and therefore there are UV rays in the air, they're getting it. This means even on a slightly overcast day it's enough.

rwiklendt
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
We were told the same thing by our Ped when we lived in south TX... I still gave vitamins though - mainly for iron. Just watch the dark liquid, it stained my DCs teeth temporarily when they got older.

elliput
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Nope. My first ped never suggested vitamins for DD (unless it was at DD's 6 month app which only DH attended). My new ped did talk to me about Vit D at DS's last appt.

bubbaray
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
My understanding is that if you don't EBF (and supplement with any formula), Vit. D is not necessary. I could be wrong on that.

The docs here do not push other vitamins. Only vitamin D, which is sold in a similar format to Tri-Vi-Sol and Poly-Vi-Sol, called D-Vi-Sol. The D version tastes better, though, LOL. No one has ever mentioned rickets to me, there are apparently other benefits such as preventing certain forms of cancer (don't ask me the details of this, its been a long time since I was told and given the handouts in the hospital). There seems to be no dispute about it here -- public health nurses, LCs, Drs, everyone seems on board with the need to give Vit. D to EBFd babies. There is no recommendation to only give it to winter babies or such -- all EBFd babies.

Now, if you asked me if I gave it every.single.day, well.... I gave it when I remembered, which probably worked out to about 50% of the time. Kinda similar to how often I remembered to give fluoride drops, LOL.

Octobermommy
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
We did give dd starting at 6 months of age. That is when the ped recommended it.

jren
05-18-2009, 11:08 AM
DD and DS didn't need them b/c they were/are fed formula which contains D, and now DD drinks plenty of milk and is outside all day. If not, I would have given it.

I have MS (multiple sclerosis), and there is thought to be a link between low D levels in early childhood and a higher risk of developing MS later in life. It's why they think MS is more prevalent the farther north you lived during your first 16 years - less sun exposure throughout the year. I would also think some younger babies could burn before they'd be out long enough to get enough D from the sun - but that's just me looking at my fair DS. And maybe some can't absorb it as well from the sun? I lived about as far south as you can as a child, so who knows... but my neurologist is constantly pushing D on me.

Vitamin D seems low risk for the benefits it may provide. I know the risk of MS is small. I didn't fit any of the risk factors, though, yet here I am. If I can help prevent it in my children or any of the other diseases they even think it may prevent, I will. I just don't think the environment is as clean as it was when we were kids, so our kids aren't getting the stuff from nature that we might have?

maestramommy
05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I did with Dora because our ped recommended it, and I didn't know any better. I didnt' with Arwyn because she was born in the beg. of summer and we were living in CA. This time I most likely will because we get less sun in NH AND we'll be inside a lot during the winter.

Mayme714
05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
My pedi said that as long as I am taking my prenatal everyday, then no need to give extra to DS. We live in FL as well. I didn't give any extra to my DD when I BF her either and she is fine.

jerseygirl07067
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your input.

Jren, your post was very thought provoking. The link between being in a northern latitude (or very southern) and MS has always been intriguing to me. (I'm a physical therapist) I've also read about the potential connection between MS and vit D.

I think I am going to give her the Vit D drops because honestly, we haven't been outside much. Also, I burn after 15 mins in the sun ( I am very fair) so could likely hold true for DD, especially since the sun here is strong. Also, it's so hot in the summer, I'm always coveting the shade and I'm not sure how much that really counts for sun exposure.

jren
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
jerseygirl - I am also very fair, so even though I grew up a block from the beach I probably didn't get as much sun as someone who actually could get a tan. But I'm not convinced that's why I have MS.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify to make sure my post didn't come across as "if you don't give your kid Vit D, they might get MS". B/c I really doubt that would be the case. It's just one of the things I'm paranoid about b/c I deal w/it. I'm a little freakish when it comes to anything that could be linked and exposing my kids (like mercury in fish or HFCS). Whereas I haven't has skin cancer, so probably not as diligent as I should about applying sunscreen every day for DD. DD is actually on antibiotics now for Lyme's disease, so that REALLY has me freaked since the symptoms are so close.

jerseygirl07067
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Jren, no I didn't take it that way. Sorry if my post came across that way.

The main reason I've decided on it is more because of the "staying out the sun issue". I am fair and often seek the shade, wear sunscreen, etc. and that's why I take supplemental D for myself. Since I haven't had the baby outside much yet, (and when I have it's been so hot that I've kept her in the shade) that's why I've decided to give it to her too. :)

Off topic, being fair and needing to avoid the sun because of it has kept my skin looking far younger than many of my friends who can get a tan in the sun. I'm really noticing this now as I approach 40!

DrSally
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm late to this, but let me throw in my 2cents. Kellymom has some good info on this topic. Basically it's recommended if your EBF. If you get a certain amount of formula (which has vit D added), you don't need a supplement. As to making your own decision about this, they say to take into account your ethnic background and latitude. One study found that Chinese babies (can't remember the provence, I know China is a big place) need 20 min A DAY of sunlight. Given that we're asian and have darker skin and live at a very northern latitude, we EBF, no bottles other than some supplements in the early weeks, I decided to give it. Literally in the winter, we scurry in and out of the car/house as quickly as possible, all bundled up from head to toe. There is no way a baby born in the winter here would get 20 min of sun EACH day.

When DS turned 2ish, I started giving it every day in the winter and then only on cloudy days in the summer. Vit D can be stored in the body, so I figured on average he would be getting enough, combined with his time outside on summer days. Other suggestions from my LC are keeping your baby in the cart as you load your groceries into the car (personally, I like to get them in the car first in case the cart rolls away or gets smashed into or something), take your baby out to get the mail,etc.

Also, if your fair skinned Caucasian, you need more like 20 min a week, depending on your latitude, so it varies.

I've heard that inadequate vit D may also be linked to increased rates of Juvenile Diabetes in northern climates (a hypothesis based on that correlation).

The only downside I see is if for some reason the vit were difficult for a babies liver to process (I don't know of any info on this). That's why we switched to trivisol instead of polyvisol, to keep with fewer vitamins. It tastes better too. You can get "Just D" vitamins and Carlson's vit D.

ETA: here's the Kellymom.com link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

Sillygirl
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I've heard that inadequate vit D may also be linked to increased rates of Juvenile Diabetes in northern climates (a hypothesis based on that correlation).

I am pretty passionate about vitamin D for everyone, and have posted before. There's more than just a hypothesis about the link between Type 1 diabetes (insulin injections multiple times a day for life) and low Vitamin D. There have been several retrospective studies that Vitamin D supplements given in early childhood reduce the rates of Type 1 Diabetes dramatically. Considering what a devastating disease we're talking about, I think some vitamin drops are cheap and eaasy insurance that everyone should grab for.

I don't have many lactating moms in my clinic (nature of my specialty) but I do have a few, and they're outdoorsy types. I check everyone and all my lactacting patients have had very low levels of vitamin D. Good is anything over 30, and none of them were above 10. I begged them to get their babies vitamin D drops.

I've read the discussion on MDC about "undermining breastfeeding" and in this instance, they are just plain wrong. There are potentially enormous benefits and it would be a shame for people to miss out on them.

maestramommy
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I am pretty passionate about vitamin D for everyone, and have posted before. There's more than just a hypothesis about the link between Type 1 diabetes (insulin injections multiple times a day for life) and low Vitamin D. There have been several retrospective studies that Vitamin D supplements given in early childhood reduce the rates of Type 1 Diabetes dramatically. Considering what a devastating disease we're talking about, I think some vitamin drops are cheap and eaasy insurance that everyone should grab for.

I don't have many lactating moms in my clinic (nature of my specialty) but I do have a few, and they're outdoorsy types. I check everyone and all my lactacting patients have had very low levels of vitamin D. Good is anything over 30, and none of them were above 10. I begged them to get their babies vitamin D drops.

I've read the discussion on MDC about "undermining breastfeeding" and in this instance, they are just plain wrong. There are potentially enormous benefits and it would be a shame for people to miss out on them.

Can you tell us how to get our Vit D levels checked postpartum? Can I just see my PCP and ask for it, or is it a specialized bloodcheck?

DrSally
05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Sillygirl, thanks for the clarification on the diabetes/vit D link. I had just read something secondary on a brief glance. I'm glad you have the facts about the link. It is quite interesting the link, and I've mentioned it to my friends when they wonder whether they should give vitamins.

ETA: Also, Silllymom, is there something about preg/nursing that depletes Vit D, or did these people you checked just happen to have very low levels? Also, for supplements for babies, is 400 IU the dosage they've used in the studies/is that what you would recommend for babies (I know the RDA's can be behind the times). I had read somewhere that nursing moms should get 2000-3000? IU of vit D, so I've been taking 2000 IU a day since DD was born. As an aside, I also recently read in the WSJ that greater supplementation 1000-2000 IU's? could help reduce heart disease, so I may have DH start taking some too (family hx of HD).

jren
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to have liver levels checked if taking Vit D. I'm on an Rx for 50,000 IUs/ month and didn't even have a deficiency and my neuro doesn't do any additional bloodwork b/c of the vit D supplement.

The test for deficiency was a simple blood test and you should be able to ask your Dr for it. They are finding that even with proper sun exposure, many people are deficient. Wonder if this has to do with air pollution/smog, etc?

I think the RDA has been 400 but is now 800 and they are thinking should be 1,000-1,200 range. That's for non-PG, non-breastfeeding women, so I'd think it'd be more for those groups.

TwinFoxes
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you for your post. It's nice to hear from someone who has first hand experience, and is not just going by what they heard re: whether getting a little sunlight is enough. I'm not advocating anyone doing something they're not comfortable with, but for people still trying to make up their mind I think this was valuable.

lisams
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM

I have recently started seeing a naturopathic M.D. and she told me that about 70% of her patients aren't getting enough vitamin D. This is in sunny Arizona! She said she was surprised when she found out she was low, too. She recommends that all of her patients have a blood test to check for vitamin D levels, along with the other nutritional levels.

kijip
05-18-2009, 11:49 PM
My understanding is that if you don't EBF (and supplement with any formula), Vit. D is not necessary. I could be wrong on that.

My very savvy on the current research pediatrician recommends supplements if the baby is getting less than 12 ounces of formula a day. Since F gets maybe 16ish ounces a week, we supplement with a 1/2 dose.

kijip
05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Also, if your fair skinned Caucasian, you need more like 20 min a week, depending on your latitude, so it varies.

As an exceptionally fair skinned caucasian I would chime in that this is not always true. Some people just don't get enough...I was checked by my midwife regularly and even with direct sun exposure more than 20 minutes a day, my levels barely budged. The only thing that got them up at all was supplements+sun and even then, did not get me into the very good range. Seeing how low my own levels were/are is one thing that prompted me to use the drops for F.

strollerqueen
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
My pediatrician said the AAP now recommends it, but we live in FL and he said Brianna probably doesn't need it and kind of poopoo'd it saying ,"if I didn't tell you about it, I'd be a bad doctor" and then went on to joke that his wife probably misplaced the bottle they're supposed to be giving to their 5 month old.

I do live in FL, and I do take supplemental vit D for myself and have throughout my whole pregnancy. However, I can't say we've been out in the sun much lately since we've been home from the hospital. From what I've read, infants get vitamin D from the mother's BM (as long as the mother is not deficient - but many are without knowing), and from a combo of sun exposure.

So do you think Vit D is necessary? It seems weird that I have to give a supplemental vitamin when BFing, but I want to do the right thing, for the health of my baby. I figured I'd get good input here too.

My Ped said no one in sunny states needs to worry about supplementing, as long as you spend a little time outside each say. She said 10 minutes is sufficient, and even walking back and forth to the car from errands counts, lol!

strollerqueen
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
OK, now that I have read this thread, it looks like she might not have been correct. We do walk around outside a lot, year round. Just yesterday, for example, we spent a couple of hours at the beach. So D deficiency is not something I thought we should worry about, but maybe we should...

Sillygirl
05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I have heard "chatter" in the medical literature about aiming for 1000 units a day in kids, but haven't seen a formal recommendation yet. I think 2000/ day is reasonable for most adults. My deficient patients get 50,000 weekly for twelve weeks.

About 85-90% of my patients are low, so I wasn't surprised the nursing moms were low. I don't know that your stores are particularly depleted by pregnancy or nursing.

The blood test is easy and cheap - around $35. I don't know if it requires a venous stick for kids. My kids haven't been tested and I wouldn't put them through a blood test for that. They get supplements anyway.

New study out this week: 95,000 Chinese people. 95% were deficient in Vitamin D. Seems to be a link with the metabolic syndrome (central obesity, insulin resistance) and Vitamin D deficiency in that study. Also, in my specialty, making sure patients with chronic kidney disease have adequate Vitamin D seems to keep them off dialysis longer.

Ceepa
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I have heard "chatter" in the medical literature about aiming for 1000 units a day in kids, but haven't seen a formal recommendation yet. I think 2000/ day is reasonable for most adults. My deficient patients get 50,000 weekly for twelve weeks.

About 85-90% of my patients are low, so I wasn't surprised the nursing moms were low. I don't know that your stores are particularly depleted by pregnancy or nursing.

The blood test is easy and cheap - around $35. I don't know if it requires a venous stick for kids. My kids haven't been tested and I wouldn't put them through a blood test for that. They get supplements anyway.

New study out this week: 95,000 Chinese people. 95% were deficient in Vitamin D. Seems to be a link with the metabolic syndrome (central obesity, insulin resistance) and Vitamin D deficiency in that study. Also, in my specialty, making sure patients with chronic kidney disease have adequate Vitamin D seems to keep them off dialysis longer.

Do you like a certain brand? Or is there something else you look for in Vit. D supplements?

Sillygirl
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I like TriViSol because B vitamins taste and smell awful. I get 1000 unit pills from drugstore.com for myself and DH - I think the brand is Nature Made?

brittone2
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Piggy backing off Sillygirl's metabolic syndrome comments, there was a (eta: small scale) study I came across where anovulatory women w/ PCOS were ovulating more on high levels of vitamin D supplementation and calcium. PCOS is usually accompanied by insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

Obviously the really high doses should be done with supervision.

I didn't supplement D with either of my DC in infancy, however, i would strongly consider it if we had a third DC. My kids take the Rainbow Light vitamin D supplements. They taste like a sour, chewy gummy bear (they are shaped like a small gum drop). THey have 400IU in them. We also periodically use a lower A cod liver oil for extra D. Hero Nutritionals has a children's D supplement...I think the label says 600IU in 2 (and it had a lot more sugar than the Rainbow LIght if I remember right).

I take 2000-3000IU for myself and am going to get tested to see if I need to go higher. THe PCOS study has me intrigued.

We also eat a lot of vitamin D rich foods (pastured meat, pastured eggs, etc.).

eta: haven't read the whole thread but the other thing I've always read is D3 is much better than D2.

Ceepa
05-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I like TriViSol because B vitamins taste and smell awful. I get 1000 unit pills from drugstore.com for myself and DH - I think the brand is Nature Made?

Yup. We had Trivisol for the kids and was trying to find out what you like for adults. I wasn't clear, but you answered my question. Thanks!

Ceepa
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Piggy backing off Sillygirl's metabolic syndrome comments, there was a (eta: small scale) study I came across where anovulatory women w/ PCOS were ovulating more on high levels of vitamin D supplementation and calcium. PCOS is usually accompanied by insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

Obviously the really high doses should be done with supervision.

I didn't supplement D with either of my DC in infancy, however, i would strongly consider it if we had a third DC. My kids take the Rainbow Light vitamin D supplements. They taste like a sour, chewy gummy bear (they are shaped like a small gum drop). THey have 400IU in them. We also periodically use a lower A cod liver oil for extra D. Hero Nutritionals has a children's D supplement...I think the label says 600IU in 2 (and it had a lot more sugar than the Rainbow LIght if I remember right).

I take 2000-3000IU for myself and am going to get tested to see if I need to go higher. THe PCOS study has me intrigued.

We also eat a lot of vitamin D rich foods (pastured meat, pastured eggs, etc.).

eta: haven't read the whole thread but the other thing I've always read is D3 is much better than D2.

I'm also intrigued by the study.

maestramommy
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
ETA: Also, Silllymom, is there something about preg/nursing that depletes Vit D, or did these people you checked just happen to have very low levels?

Not Sillygirl, but I do remember when my first ped recommended it for Dora, he said that humans are the only mammal on the planet whose breastmilk is deficient in Vit. D. He didn't know why. Not sure where he found that out, or if it's verifiable, but I guess the bottom line would be even an EBF baby wouldn't get enough Vit D from breastmilk.

My current ped says that sunlight is the best source of Vit. D, but I do know a mom in my IRL group who has serious Vit D deficiency, related to thyroid disease. She is a very fair-skinned caucasian who also cannot get enough from the sun, so she has to take a pretty huge supplement. I'm sure not everyone falls into this category, and I second Brittone's rec that if you're going to start supplementing on a larger scale to talk with the doc first.

jerseygirl07067
05-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I went ahead and got the vitamin D drops today. They had the Poly Vi Sol, Tri Vi Sol, and D Vi Sol. It seems many here liked the Tri Vi Sol and a few the D Vi Sol.

I got the D Vi Sol. I tried it myself to see what it tasted like. A bit fruity, not too bad. We'll see how DD #3 likes it!

DrSally
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
My Ped said no one in sunny states needs to worry about supplementing, as long as you spend a little time outside each say. She said 10 minutes is sufficient, and even walking back and forth to the car from errands counts, lol!

I think that depends on whether you're using sunscreen and how dark your skin is.

wellyes
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't like a ped who completely dismisses a AAP recommendation for a somewhat controversial topic such as this one. I'm not saying they all have to adhere to party line. But when they do feel ambiguous about a recommendation, it should be presented more neutrally. For example, my ped said regarding co-sleeping: there are lots of good reasons to not do it, but thousands of families do co-sleep and it may be a reasonable solution to your family, and here's a pamphlet with guidelines if you do chose to go that route. I wouldn't want a ped who said "Only lousy parents co-sleep" or the opposite.

lisams
05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Not Sillygirl, but I do remember when my first ped recommended it for Dora, he said that humans are the only mammal on the planet whose breastmilk is deficient in Vit. D.

I'm guessing we'll never know why, but I personally think a lot of it is probably due to environmental reasons. Pollution, people working and spending more time inside, possibly chemicals getting into our bodies and interfering with the absorption of vitamin D, our consumption of processed food vs. raw food and so on. That's just my guess.

I have read that while breastmilk doesn't have a lot of vitamin D in it, that it is highly absorbed in the nursing child's body. Although, most infants don't spend that much time in the sun, so they wouldn't be getting enough to supplement the lower amount in their diet.

I did not supplement with either of mine (they started a multi around 18 months old) but if I were to do it over, I probably would give vitamin D.

Interesting thread, lots of good information.