PDA

View Full Version : Mud Race, Anyone?

MMEand1
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
We participated in the 2009 Mini Muddy Buddy race to benefit Challenged Athletes. Mark and I were unable to participate in the adult race because we had no one to watch the kids, but we were able to participate in the kids race (hence the name "Mini") with them.

The mini consisted of a short obstacle course followed by a swim in the giant mud pit after which a short run completed the course. The kids were divided up in age groups starting with 4 year olds and on up to 13 year olds. Participants between the ages of 4-6 were required to have a parent complete the course with them. That is why Mark and I were able to participate without doing so in the adult race.

Zsa Zsa wanted me to run with her and Eli wanted his Dad. We lined up according to age (which was SUPER smart) and started off with the youngest ones going first (very fun because it's usually the other way around).

As we started, Zsa Zsa was very excited and did really well in the tires. She did the 2x4 balance beam by herself, too. We had a little bit of a melt-down when we got to the wall. She just stood there and said "I can't do it. I can't do it." I pushed her up the wall and after that little push, she hoisted herself up like a little Recon Ranger!! THEN we had problems. The mud pit must have scared the daylights out of her because she really was not thrilled about getting in the mud. She did, however, conquer the mud pit and race to the finish!

Eli was excited about the race from the first minute we talked about doing it. He loved the idea of getting to go in a giant mud pit and jump over things and then run! He is a runner, so this was the race for him! He was all smiles when he saw the course and couldn't wait to jump in. He has little patience and all the waiting did not help any! As soon as I finished with Zsa Zsa's race, I ran back down to see if Mark and Eli had started. They were just about to send the 6 year olds on their way when I asked Mark if he wanted me to go with Eli since I was already very dirty. Both Mark and Eli agreed and I was off for a second time. Eli had no problems making it through the tires and he practically ran across the 2x4's and almost jumped over the wall, HOWEVER, everything came to a halt once he came face to face with the ever-looming mud pit!!!

Eli hesitantly got into the muddy water and started going. He got behind a little girl that had stopped in the mud and he was trying to get around her. His problem came when he started loosing his balance and was pulling me down with him. He was able to grab onto one of the banners, but mistakenly put all of his weight on it thinking it would hold him up. When he grabbed it, he went flying face first into the mud, complete with a big mouthful of muddy water. Instead of letting go of the banner, he held on and since it was swaying from his going forward, it yanked him backwards. The poor boy was covered in mud! The crowd LOVED it and cheered and clapped for him! He was not impressed. We made it up on shore and continued on to the finish. The first part was really muddy, so it was slow going. After a little bit, there was more dirt than mud and he was able to get some traction and take off. He really liked the end because he was able to RUN!

We made our way over to the hoses to clean up a bit and decided it was a good thing that at least one of us (Mark) was clean and able to help the others de-mud! We stopped and ate (muddy hair and all) and met up with Scott, a guy I went to college with. We then made the trek back home where everyone received a shower and all the clothes were taken outside and hosed off again before being thrown in the wash.

The kids had a great time (more so after the fact) and said that they want to do it again. We'll see about that, but I can see Mark and I doing the adult race!!

alleycat
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
My company is one of the sponsors of Muddy Buddy. Great to hear someone participating and familiar with the race outside of work. Always good to know that people (adults and kids) enjoyed themselves. You should definitely participate in the adult race next year. I've never participated but I hear it's an awesome race. Nothing like crawling through the mud pit at the end.

For those who are interested, check out www.muddybuddy.com. 13 markets this year (10 left) throughout the U.S.

caleymama
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Sounds great! Love the pic!! Priceless! :D

I wish we had a Muddy Buddy race around here. The past couple of years DH has run a local race at the end of March that's similar, just minus the obstacle course and the actual mud pit. It's a 5 mile trail run at a nearby state park and the course organizers send the runners through the wettest, muddiest stuff they can find. This past year it rained a lot prior to and during the race, so it was reallllly muddy. It's cool b/c many of the runners are in all sorts of costumes - everything from speedos to wedding veils. Quite a funny sight at the finish. My DD1 (6) would LOVE to run it with DH, but she's young for it. She'd go nuts for a Mini Muddy Buddy race. She ran her first 5K (road, not trail) a few weeks ago and definitely has been bit by the running bug!

zoestargrove
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
that is SOOO awesome! I just know my kids would love that!

The closest one to us is a 10 hour drive...which we almost made last year anyways, but it just didn't work out.

MMEand1
05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks mama's! It was a TON of fun. There is another one later this year about 3 or so hours from here that I am thinking about doing! We had a blast and I thought it was great to do an event for a group that does not get the funding like some of the other charities that are out there (even though all of them are important).