PDA

View Full Version : Bday party - do we look like schmucks?

mom2binsd
05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
It birthday party season here....DD went to two last month, she's going to one on Sat- the invite said No gifts please- now we're doing DD's invitations, it's a stay at home "Tea Party" theme.

I mentioned the no gifts idea to DD almost 6 and she seemed a little disappointed. In light of the fact that our party is only a week after the no gifts party do we look greedy? All of the other parties this year we have brought gifts/and the bday child has opened the gifts at the party.

So do we just send out regular invites, do "no gifts" as well on the invites (both my IL's and DH think this isn't that fun), other ideas?

I once went to a preschool bday playdate and the host asked for no gifts (we didn't usually do gifts anyways) but said we could bring a book to be donated....I think asking for a guest to bring anything might not be great UNLESS maybe we said "instead of gift you may bring any used toy as M will be collecting some of her toys to donate to the local children's shelter".

Thanks for any ideas.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-18-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.echoage.com/index.html
It seems like a cool idea, and your daughter is at the age she can understand it....
I think no gifts, is usually said when the child has tons of stuff and the parents don't want to have to clean more toys! :hysterical:
By putting nothing on the invite, it is not as if you are asking for gifts. You would not look greedy at all.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I know I may not be the norm on this board but I am not a fan of the no-gift parties, especially when they are 5+yo. I can see it for a 2yo who won't know the difference. But a 6yo? They know. I don't think it looks greedy even if the party around her's is a no-gift one. But, every family is entitled to do what works for them. If she really wants to collect to donate to charity, that is great. I think I would let it be her choice though. Maybe she could use some of her b-day money to buy something to donate? That's how I like to handle that scenario.

Beth

Corie
05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I would just send out your regular invitations. I agree with your DH.
I don't think a birthday party is any fun without the child getting gifts! :)

kransden
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I would just send out your regular invitations. I agree with your DH.
I don't think a birthday party is any fun without the child getting gifts! :)

:yeahthat:

Who cares what other people do. It's your dd. My dd would be crushed if she didn't get gifts.

shawnandangel
05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I know I may not be the norm on this board but I am not a fan of the no-gift parties, especially when they are 5+yo. I can see it for a 2yo who won't know the difference. But a 6yo? They know. I don't think it looks greedy even if the party around her's is a no-gift one. But, every family is entitled to do what works for them. If she really wants to collect to donate to charity, that is great. I think I would let it be her choice though. Maybe she could use some of her b-day money to buy something to donate? That's how I like to handle that scenario.

Beth

:yeahthat: I am not a fan either and I don't think you are being greedy at all!

happymomma
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't think it would make you look greedy. Honestly, I don't think it would fly for my DS' birthday if we said no gifts. I think at this age, they understand and would love gifts.

egoldber
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
For younger children (less than 4) I personally prefer no gift parties. But after 4 or so, kids "know" that birthday parties = gifts. I would not do a no gift party for an older child unless they were on board with the idea.

This year my soon to be 8 year old DD wants to do a mommy/daughter excursion instead of a party. When I warned her this would mean no party and no gifts from friends her earnest response was, "That's OK, I've already had plenty of parties" LOL!! So I think after a certain age they can be OK with it again.

AnnieW625
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think you are schmucks, but kids do love presents! I prefer either no parties for 1 to 2 year olds, but after about 3 kids start getting it and know that a party equals a gift. DD figured this out this year!

ha98ed14
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
DD's party is in 2 weeks and I wrote on the invites "No gifts, please :)" I did it for 2 reasons.

1) We have a ton of stuff for her cramed into a 2 bedroom apartment. She is turning 2 and truely won't know the difference.

2) All the children who are coming also have birthday parties, many of which we will be invited as they are the children of our friends. I don't have the money to buy presents for all these children that are not complete junk, so why waste my money? If I could make something, I would be open to that. But $20 per kid per birthday would get really expensive as most of our friends have 3+ children. (We are the odd balls with only one.) So since I am not in a position to reciprocate, I just asked for no gifts.

Personally, I cannot shake the feeling that opening gifts at your party is tacky tacky tacky. We were just at my SIL's DD's 5th birthday party yesterday. It was a nice party at a park with 20 kids, a small craft and bbq burgers and cake. When it was time to open gifts, everyone was suposed to come over to the grassy area and gather round and watch DN open all her gifts. My DD is too young to care, but I really, really could not wrap my head around why all these other small DC are expected to watch while some other child opens gift after gift. Why not let her open them at home and spend the time at the party focused on spending time with your friends/ guests. To me, it screams tacky. Common courtesy says to me, you open gifts in private unless it is a baby or wedding shower where the purpose of the party is to open gifts. JM not so humble O.

To answer OP's question: I don't think you look greedy if you say nothing about gifts on the invite and people bring them. That is customary in our culture. I do think you look tacky if you make opening the gifts at the party one of the activities/ features of the party the same as a craft and singing HB and cutting the cake.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Personally, I cannot shake the feeling that opening gifts at your party is tacky tacky tacky. We were just at my SIL's DD's 5th birthday party yesterday. It was a nice party at a park with 20 kids, a small craft and bbq burgers and cake. When it was time to open gifts, everyone was suposed to come over to the grassy area and gather round and watch DN open all her gifts. My DD is too young to care, but I really, really could not wrap my head around why all these other small DC are expected to watch while some other child opens gift after gift. Why not let her open them at home and spend the time at the party focused on spending time with your friends/ guests. To me, it screams tacky. Common courtesy says to me, you open gifts in private unless it is a baby or wedding shower where the purpose of the party is to open gifts. JM not so humble O.

I have completely the opposite opinion, as does ds. I love seeing the gifts be open because I want to see their reaction an see my gift acknowledged. When they take the gifts home you miss out on seeing your gift be appreciated. (That made me sound kind of needy, huh?). Ds1 puts a lot of thought into picking out b-day gifts and is so excited to give the- and see the child open the gift. He is majorly let down when we leave parties and they don't open gifts. It feels like an incomplete b-day party.

I don't know, I love giving gifts. Christmas morning is one of my favorite times because I like to see people opening their gifts.

I also get great gift ideas watching gift opening. :)

Beth

KrisM
05-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about what others think. I don't like no-gift parties. At 5, DS likes to help pick the gift for his friend and loved opening his gifts.

We also always open the gifts during the party. I've never thought that to be tacky. My reasons:

- the birthday child is excited!
- the other kids are nearly as excited to see the birthday child's reaction to their gift.
- for the family party, I don't make DS write thank you's since he does a good job thanking them there. much easier on both of us!

One thing, we don't have big parties, so the gift opening is 5-10 minutes tops. He had 5 friends for his friend party and DD will have 3. Family parties are 5-6 gifts total as well.

egoldber
05-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm also not a fan of opening gifts at parties. I have seen one too many kids disappointed when the birthday child was not excited by what they thought was a fabulous gift. I just think opening presents at the party is dull.

ETA: And I NEVER spend $20 on a gift. Usually $8-$12.

ha98ed14
05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I have completely the opposite opinion, as does ds. I love seeing the gifts be open because I want to see their reaction an see my gift acknowledged. When they take the gifts home you miss out on seeing your gift be appreciated. (That made me sound kind of needy, huh?). Ds1 puts a lot of thought into picking out b-day gifts and is so excited to give the- and see the child open the gift. He is majorly let down when we leave parties and they don't open gifts. It feels like an incomplete b-day party.

I don't know, I love giving gifts. Christmas morning is one of my favorite times because I like to see people opening their gifts.

Beth

In my realm, you acknowledge the gift in a thank you note. But I can see and really do respect your position. If this makes any sense, I have learned so much from your posts that I know you think things through, so I know you have a thought through opinion and are an insightful and caring person. I try to be too. Proof I guess that two different thoughtful people can come to two different conclusions. :)

wellyes
05-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I think no-gift parties are nice, but they should only be held if the parent & child agree (if the kid is old enough to even care). No-gift is a special thing, not a new norm.

And it is sad that parents who try to do a nice thing - no-gift parties or donation parties - end up making other parents just feel inadequate or like they're not just as wonderful. For everything party-related, IMO, you should respect what other families do, but don't let it influence what you want and don't feel obligated to have a party just as big & fancy OR just as selfless as the other kid.

I agree with PPs who think presents are grand but should be opened after the party is over. I strongly feel that the ** only ** occasions where "everyone sits around and watches gifts being opened" is appropriate are showers (bridal or baby) or gift exchanges where everyone gets to open something.

Kungjo
05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Birthday parties for kids are no fun without presents. What's the fun in celebrating if you don't get to open presents. I think it would be different if the child is younger or if the party is for an adult.

Let your DC enjoy the presents. That's what birthday parties are for. Don't worry about looking greedy. I think anyone with kids will understand.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
In my realm, you acknowledge the gift in a thank you note. But I can see and really do respect your position. If this makes any sense, I have learned so much from your posts that I know you think things through, so I know you have a thought through opinion and are an insightful and caring person. I try to be too. Proof I guess that two different thoughtful people can come to two different conclusions. :)

Very wise, true words. :) :jammin:

Beth

o_mom
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Beth

I agree with this. I have a hard enough time getting DSs to pick out something that their friend would like (not what DSs want) and thinking about what might make that friend happy. To have the gift tossed in a pile and never seen again completely detaches it for them... may as well give cash. A thank you note just doesn't compare to someone saying thank you personally for a 5 yo, IMO. I guess we have also been lucky that the kids are all excited about gifts in general or at least coached well to be happy with what they get, so dissapointments are rare.

Ceepa
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
We request no gifts for parties and we also write thank-you notes. I understand kids see a lot of their friends having different types of parties but that doesn't affect our family's way of doing things. And I personally have never understood bringing into the argument that other parents may feel inadequate when attending a no-gift party.

ha98ed14
05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I think no-gift parties are nice, but they should only be held if the parent & child agree (if the kid is old enough to even care). No-gift is a special thing, not a new norm.

I agree with PPs who think presents are grand but should be opened after the party is over. I strongly feel that the ** only ** occasions where "everyone sits around and watches gifts being opened" is appropriate are showers (bridal or baby) or gift exchanges where everyone gets to open something.

ITA. This is what I was trying to say. No problem with people bringing a gift if that is what the family decides to do, but open them after the party unless it is a book exchange type of gift where all DC open one.

EDITED: I realized after writing this that, in all honesty, I would not come to a party without a gift unless it was a no gift party. My reason for going to SIL's kids' parties sans gift has more to do with my issues with SIL & family and less to do with my opinion of gifts at birthday parties. Clearly my feelings have muddied the waters on this issue for me. I see that more clearly now.

Melaine
05-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Beth

I agree Beth. I actually think it is kind of important to acknowledge that it is the birthday child's time and their day. In other words, I want my children to be polite and watch quietly while they open gifts and basically be happy for them!
OP, I have no problem with no-gift parties, but I don't at all think you should feel obligated just because some of your friends have done them.

Melaine
05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
So what do you think of people who bring no gift to a regular gift-giving party?

Unless there is a financial reason, I honestly think it is rude not to give something, even if it is small.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
ITA. This is what I was trying to say. No problem with people bringing a gift if that is what the family decides to do, but open them after the party unless it is a book exchange type of gift where all DC open one.

What do you think of people like me:

SIL has 4 kids all with spring birthdays. We go to all their birthday parties, but this year, I did not do gifts. We did do nice gifts at Christmas for them. SIL places a heavy emphasis on presents and her kids expect them. In fact, at her party yesterday, DN was asking to open her gifts before people had been served their food. SIL did not let her, but she was yelling to her mom over the crowd, so everyone heard her. When it was time to open gifts, I hung back with DD at the picnic tables. While I felt awkward because we did not bring a gift, I was also confident I made the right choice for me.

So what do you think of people who bring no gift to a regular gift-giving party?

I don't think it is really your battle to fight (trying to get the b-day child to be a bit less grabby about gifts). It's your DN and I think celebrating her birthday with a gift is the choice I would make regardless of how she handles it. She's little. It's normal to be excited by that stuff at that age but I don't think it is the right time to make your statement known about not liking the way their family does gifts. I wouldn't show up empty handed. If you really think she is too focused on the material things and the b-day child would be old enough to get this (like 4+yo), you could make a donation to a charity in her name- adopt an animal at the zoo or something.

Beth

egoldber
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think I could go to a party where gifts were expected and not give one. I would give something small personally. A board game like Candyland or Checkers only costs about $5 or $6 full retail and is always appropriate. Or a board book or paper back chapter book is only about $5.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree with this. I have a hard enough time getting DSs to pick out something that their friend would like (not what DSs want) and thinking about what might make that friend happy. To have the gift tossed in a pile and never seen again completely detaches it for them... may as well give cash. A thank you note just doesn't compare to someone saying thank you personally for a 5 yo, IMO. I guess we have also been lucky that the kids are all excited about gifts in general or at least coached well to be happy with what they get, so dissapointments are rare.

Detached- that is a good word to describe how it feels to me and, it seems, ds. The gift just disappears. A thank you note is nice but not the same as a face to face thank you in addition to just getting to witness the gift being opened.

Plus, you know that the gift really is being received and acknowledged. I hate getting those generic thank you notes that make me question if they even knew what gift ds brought them.

Beth

fivi2
05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I am very much against no gift parties for children. I am also not in favor of opening gifts at parties, but don't feel too strongly about it. My kids are still young, so they really don't get watching someone else open gifts. Add that to the birthday child wanting to stop and play with the first gift opened, and... just doesn't work for me. Maybe once they are older I will feel differently.

As far as not bringing a gift to a regular party. I would feel awkward. I think some token should be given. It can be inexpensive, but I would feel odd showing up empty-handed. However, I often don't take gifts to my nephews parties, because we do a special shopping trip on our own later. So they get a gift, just not at the party.

ha98ed14
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't think it is really your battle to fight (trying to get the b-day child to be a bit less grabby about gifts). It's your DN and I think celebrating her birthday with a gift is the choice I would make regardless of how she handles it. She's little. It's normal to be excited by that stuff at that age but I don't think it is the right time to make your statement known about not liking the way their family does gifts. I wouldn't show up empty handed. If you really think she is too focused on the material things and the b-day child would be old enough to get this (like 4+yo), you could make a donation to a charity in her name- adopt an animal at the zoo or something.

Beth

I agree. It's not my battle. It may sound petty, and perhaps I am WRT this family, but the kids in general lack manners and there are four of them to buy for. We bought her 4 kids really nice Christmas gifts that were expensive and tailored very much to their current interests. And she got my one DD a single generic board book. I think that is why I am not doing gifts for her kids and asking for none in return.

ha98ed14
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think I could go to a party where gifts were expected and not give one. I would give something small personally. A board game like Candyland or Checkers only costs about $5 or $6 full retail and is always appropriate. Or a board book or paper back chapter book is only about $5.

I understand this. And yes, I could have/ should have done more. In your opinion, is it better to not go than to show up empty handed? Does it matter if it is family v friend party? DN isn't getting a gift from us later.

gatorsmom
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Detached- that is a good word to describe how it feels to me and, it seems, ds. The gift just disappears. A thank you note is nice but not the same as a face to face thank you in addition to just getting to witness the gift being opened.

Plus, you know that the gift really is being received and acknowledged. I hate getting those generic thank you notes that make me question if they even knew what gift ds brought them.

Beth

I agree. I LOVE to see the look on their faces when they get a gift! And I think it's importnat for my kids when they go to someone else's party to understand the world doesn't always revolve around THEM. And I really like for my children to open their birthday presents in front of the person who gave the gift because i want them to learn to look at the person and properly thank them personally.

I can see how some would think it's tacky to open the gifts in front of others, but I assume that if the other guests are like me, they are looking forward to seeing all the fun stuff the child receives. Especially if something was specially handmade, handed down, searched for, has a story behind it, or the giver was just excited about it themselves. Besides eating the cake, seeing the gifts opened is one of my favorite parts of a birthday party!

And to the OP, I agree that if your child wants gifts, he should have them. Don't put "no gifts" on the invite and I think everyone will just refer to the default setting of "that means a gift."

egoldber
05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I will say I do think there is a difference between gifts at smaller, family oriented parties vs larger, more school-friendish parties. At the former we open gifts at the party and at the latter we do not. I think if you only do small parties vs larger parties, that probably affects your perception. The times I have seen presents open at large parties it has basically been a disaster with kids melting down and getting upset left and right.

In your opinion, is it better to not go than to show up empty handed? Does it matter if it is family v friend party? DN isn't getting a gift from us later

I don't know what to say. If your SIL tends to give small, token presents to your DD then I would only do a small token present for her child. I see no harm in that.

ilfaith
05-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I can't remember the last birthday party I went to where gifts were opened during the party. When I was growing up we always opened presents in front of everyone. But most of the parties we've been to lately have been at places like My Gym or Chuck E Cheese where there is a limited time frame and amount of space, so it's usually an hour and a half of playtime, half an hour to gobble down pizza and cake, than everyone get's herded out the door ao the next group can come in.

Two years ago for my son's third birthday I requested "no gifts" on the invitation and most everyone brought something. Which, aside from the fact that we ended up with more stuff we didn't want or need to take up space in our home, probably made the people who did follow the direction not to bring anything feel bad for showing up empty handed.

MamaMolly
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm also not a big fan on no gift parties for the 3+ crowd. DD couldn't have cared less at 1 or 2 years old but now she 'gets' it that birthday=presents. Which is fine, IMO. Isn't that part of the fun of a birthday? I'm creeping closer to 40 than I'd care to admit and I still look forward to presents on my birthday ;)

I hadn't planned on opening DD's presents at her party but the other moms in our group expected it so it is now part of our tradition (with this group). And I have to admit, it is really fun to watch the kiddos open their gifts. I also like to see what they get. I get really good gift ideas, too!

IMO, unless 'no gifts' is specified, you should bring a card or gift. It doesn't have to be expensive to be thoughtful. One of the most charming gifts DD ever got was a small stuffed puppy in a cute pink gift box. The box was stuffed with shredded blue paper and the box was tied with a ribbon (no paper, so DD could open it herself!). It was so adorable and couldn't have cost more than $5-$10. Even a sweet card made from paper scribbled on by your DC would be better than showing up empty handed.

traciann
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Well call me tacky because I don't see a problem with receiving and opening gifts at a birthday party. That is what they are for...to celebrate the birthday child.I can't even think of one party that I have been to where they didn't open presents! I agree with PP that you can get away with no gift parties for younger kids, but by age three my dd knew what parties were and was thrilled to be able to open her own gifts. I also think when you take your child to buy a gift for a friend, they want to see them open the present and see their reaction. I agree with Molly in that you get great gift ideas as well.

C99
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think doing a gift party on the heels of a no-gift party makes you look like a schmuck. I also can't imagine a 6-y/o being OK w/o gifts, especially for a small party, if it it's the first time she's heard of the idea. A mom I know (also in Chicago) w/ kids older than mine told me that her rule is that if it's a large, invite-the-whole-class party, they don't do gifts. If it's an intimate, at-home party, they don't omit gifts. We both live in tiny Chicago houses and have more stuff than we can keep up with (seriously, DD's b-day party was 3 weeks ago, we invited 8 people and we still have stuff NIB). When I plan parties for my kids, I set the expectation -- gifts or no gifts -- from the get-go. I don't think you can change it on your kids right before the invites go out just because other people in your circle have omitted gifts from the party.

mom2binsd
05-18-2009, 06:02 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!

Wow, I went to work and came back to see all these replies and they've confirmed what I was feeling, to not worry about the other child's part, but you know sometimes we overthink things!!!

We'll just write a regular invitation. The norm around here is to open the presents at the party, but usually while they're eating....at the gymnastics place in town and other party places they seem to even have the staff with a clipboard writing down the gifts/who they're from.

I'm very excited about the party as we've found lots of fun tea party themed activities, I got really cute straw purses at Dollar Tree (they're lined with colored fabric so cute) that will be the goody bag, a cute necklace/bead activity from Michaels for each girl and a Tea Party game too...our baker at Meijers offered to make a custom cake with this tiny porcelain tea set and I found real tea cups at goodwill so we'll have our tea (really lemonade) in the cups and the girls will take the cups home in the purses with their necklaces and maybe a few candies.

KrisM
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM
You know, I was thinking about this today. We've been to one party where gifts were not opened there and I still haven't received a thank you note for it. It was in September of last year. Did she like it? Did she even get it? I'll never know.

To get my DS to write his 5 thank you notes for his party was hard enough and he just wrote something like "Thank you, Will. Love, DS". If he had to also specify the gift and say something nice, it would take hours to write the 5 notes.

infocrazy
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Well call me tacky because I don't see a problem with receiving and opening gifts at a birthday party. That is what they are for...to celebrate the birthday child.I can't even think of one party that I have been to where they didn't open presents! I agree with PP that you can get away with no gift parties for younger kids, but by age three my dd knew what parties were and was thrilled to be able to open her own gifts. I also think when you take your child to buy a gift for a friend, they want to see them open the present and see their reaction. I agree with Molly in that you get great gift ideas as well.

:yeahthat:
At the parties we have had/gone to, most people seem to be waiting for the present opening before they leave. I assume, like me and some pp, they are waiting to see the reaction.

We have only been invited to one no gifts party. Every other party has not specified and we have taken gifts that were opened at the party.

jellibeans
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Who has a bday party and puts "no gifts"? I can see that for adults, but for kids? If someone doesn't want to bring a gift, they can just choose not to go to the party. I am all about teaching my kids lessons, but this is a little extreme.

egoldber
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Who has a bday party and puts "no gifts"?

Well, in many places it is very common. And a one or two year old (and many three year olds) don't know any different and don't care. As someone who has been trying to purge my house of excess stuff, I can assure you my kids are not suffering in any way by having had no gift parties in their early childhood. :)

As I said previously, I do think it's different when they are older. But even then, some kids are actually OK with it. Also, it is usually done for large parties that include school/preschool friends, not for small parties. So there may be a LOT of kids and potentially a LOT of gifts. I know I have said it so that people don't think we're just inviting a lot of people to get more presents!

JamiMac
05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I would just not reference gifts at all on the invitations. I personally do not like no gift parties for children, especially older than 4, because I think they come across as "there's no way you'll pick something good enough for my child, so don't bother". I feel that way more now, since it was pretty clear that is how some people think from a former thread on this subject. I just think it comes off as rude. I hope your DD has fun at her party! :)

Fairy
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
To the OP, you are totally not a schmuck. You do what YOU want to do and what works for you and DC. You just go for it, and forget what the previous part during party season (we've all got one :-)) is. These things go in one ear and out the other, and are often not even remembered one week to the next.

To the PP who says the no gift parties make them feel inadequate and less "wonderful" and gracious, I understand that. I agree, it can be like, "you're fabulous, you're gracious, we're greedy." Not saying people feel that way! Just that I understand how a no-gift party can make other people feel that way.

I don't do the no gift thing. We won't be having one. I want DS to enjoy his party and have his one day a year that is all about him, and for us, that means he gets presents. However, on the other hand, there is no present that isn't appreciated. A $6 candyland is wonderful and costs less than lunch. So what? We teach that it's the thought that counts, and we really mean it. I can't imagine there'd be too many folks on the BBB that would disagree with that :-)

I would never ever come to a regular party without a gift. If there are four kids, they all get cheap stuff that are age appropriate and that they will like. And I don't know a parent among 'em that would fault me for an inexpensive gift. Not one. Who would be tacky enough to not be understanding about that and say that gift isn't good enough?

We don't open kids party gifts at the party, we do it at home. The family party, he opens them at the party. The g'parents and cousins have a BLAST watching him love all his stuff and beign acknowledgted.

So, those are my thoughts.

Corie
05-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Beth

Yes, I totally agree with you, Beth! (It seems that we have the same
birthday party philosophy.)

My daughter puts ALOT of thought into each gift. She desperately wants
to see her gift being opened and she wants to see if her friend likes it.

I also like seeing all the gifts. It gives me some good ideas. :)

It is a huge let-down when the gifts are packed up and opened at home.