PDA

View Full Version : How much to spend on registry gifts, and what do you usually like to buy?

AnnieW625
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Mom to be that I will be shopping for is registered at Babies R Us. She is registered for a Bugaboo, Britax Marathon, Pack N Play, $99 Avent gift set, and Baby Bjorn on the more expensive side, and about four or five more pages of cheaper stuff. I have no clue what to get her, we aren't close (she's DH's cousin), but since we are in a sense family I am honored to be invited. I usually tend to buy baby bottles and bibs for babies, but am not sure if I should do more. I also want to stick to the registry because I hated getting lots of non registry stuff or stuff without gift receipts.

ourbabygirl
05-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I totally agree! As a mom to a daughter, I made the mistake of divulging (if people asked) that we were having a girl, and hence got TONS of pink clothes-
:sulkoff: I wish I would have gotten more off the registry, because having a baby is obviously expensive (at least the gear is), and we ended up buying the rest of the registry stuff, anyhow. I would advocate getting her gender-neutral stuff, even if she's said what she's having, so she can use it with future kids.
Anyhow, I tend to spend between $25-50 on baby and wedding gifts (or $100 or so for a family member), and try to get something that they'll get a lot of use out of (diaper pail/ bathtub & accessories/ even diapers). It's great if you can use the coupons that come out from BRU (for instance, 15% off monitors if she's registered for one, etc.). You could do something cute and personal to make it more fun to open, too, like a personalized baby c.d. or burp cloth or bib or towel. Or decorate a couple of onesies with fabric markers or iron-on designs you can find at Joann's or Michael's... extra onesies are always good to have around, especially in a car 'emergency' kit!

Good luck and have fun at the shower!;)

kijip
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I usually spend between $20-50 depending on how close I am to the person. In the situation you described I would either:

Get a $25ish dollar gift

or

Get a few others together to chip in on something bigger on the registry.

I do spend more on certain people- like my brother's family and my closest friends (the ones close enough that we vacation together or whatnot- so basically 2 couples.) For my brother's most recent baby I got him four Goodmamas cloth diapers he really liked, 2 with matching t-shirts plus chip in on a stroller so I spent considerably more than $50.

hellokitty
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
You can always just give her a BRU GC... that way if she doesn't get bigger items, she can use the GC toward a bigger item.

lorinick
05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I uaually go in with my sister and my mom and we usually for a cousin spend 45.00 to 50.00 and go in a big ticket item.

SnuggleBuggles
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I like to put together gift sets. So, I would do something like buy a bathtub, washcloths, CA Baby soap, a bath toy and something else related to that. I tend to spend about $40-50 but willing to change that up based on how well I know the person.

I also really like giving board books as gifts.

I always get something for mom too- book, bubble bath, non perishable snacks...

Beth

nov04
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I would keep to your regular budget and choose items from her registry in that range.

I was grateful for the non-registry gifts we received, but we really did have too many dressy newborn outfits considering I barely left the house for 3 months with a near-term, colicky, etc etc baby!

specialp
05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Budget: $25 - $50. More if a very close family or friend.

I always buy from the registry and I do prefer to buy several of the smaller things. This sounds odd, but if I'm going to the shower, I make sure I buy something I can carry easily. Lesson learned after I bought a diaper genie (hard to carry when wrapped & your bundled in a winter coat & carrying your purse) and had to carry it across a large parking lot in the snow.

WatchingThemGrow
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
$20-45 depending on how close we are, what # child, how much $$ we have at the time.

I like to buy things *I* found really useful or things I really wanted but didn't get. I won't buy anything that can be found easily on CL or 2nd hand, but I'll often tell the mom2be how to score those items cheaper if she's of that mindset.

wellyes
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I think she'll be happy to receive a $20-$25 registry item from you. I know I would in her place!

traciann
05-18-2009, 04:03 PM
If there isn't something in your price range I would also do a gift card for the amount you would spend. I wouldn't hesitate getting a bunch of smaller items that added up to that amount. If its on her registry, she wants it.

jerseygirl07067
05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
It depends on how close I am with the person. Sometimes, I try to team up with 4 or 5 people to help get them one of the pricier things, like a carseat, since that's a necessity.

I probably spend $20-$30 depending.

What I try to do is buy the things that are more "essentials" from their registry, particularly things they will need right away. Towels, washcloths, receiving blankets, paci, bottles, thermometer, etc. Other than those things, a carseat, and a boppy (for BFing) to me are the initial essentials. Wipes and dipes are too of course, but that's a given. :)

Radosti
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
My favorite gifts for DS2 came from the wife of DH's friend. She sent us a pack of Trumpette socks, a luxurious hoodie towel (that's huge and I adore), and a Taggies dinosaur.

I like to find deals on stuff people are registered for. I scour the internet for BRU coupons and go in armed. Also, SIL wanted a convertible carseat. I found a Britax Marathon for $163 shipped, asked her if she was ok with it not being from BRU, then went in on the gift with MIL and younger SIL. So, she got a much more expensive gift, but for much less. Everyone was happy. Another friend wanted an Avent manual pump and Dr. Brown's bottles, I found the pump at a local supermarket for $15 (they were not going to be carrying them anymore), then I was able to get $20 off the bottle set with all my coupons to BRU. Total spent was $50, but valued as much more.

AnnieW625
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I wouldn't feel soo bad about buying three or four baby bottles and essentials for bottles, but now the Avent bottles (I love these, DD still uses them as sippies for her milk; won't use anything else) are $9 a piece (gone up at least 50% to 75% since the whole BPA scare, and if I was to just spend $25 I could get two bottles, and maybe a Bumkins bib (love these!). I guess I am just looking for the best deal that money can buy and what the mom will actually use. If I knew her better I'd have no issue buying her a Pack N Play because that's an essential in my book once the baby gets home; we learned the hard way when Elisa wasn't sleeping in her crib and we didn't have a bassinet.

firstbaby
05-18-2009, 07:25 PM
My vote would be a Miracle Blanket and / or Happiest Baby on the Block book or DVD. Those two things together got me through our first six months :)

I usually spend between $25-50 as well for a "regular" person's (non family or super close friend) shower gift.

hillview
05-19-2009, 08:30 AM
I like giving books -- board books usually. Also I like to give Happiest Baby on the Block book -- or DVD depending on the person (if they watch tv or are readers etc). I spend $50-100+ -- but I don't go to a bunch of showers -- have maybe been to 4 and they were all close friends etc.
/hillary

wendibird22
05-19-2009, 09:09 AM
I usually spend $35-50 and I like to put together a basket of little things. I'll usually do a fabric storage box (if registered for or pick a color that goes with the babies room) and fill it with a mixture of small items. I used to always get stuff that mom registered for (baby care kit, wash clothes, etc), but now that I'm a mom I actually enjoy putting together a bunch of our favorite things...mostly stuff that I didn't know to register for as a 1st time mom and now can't live without. I also like getting things for the toddler stage because mom's don't often think to register for that stuff. Some things DH and I discovered (either on our own or because they were gifts we didn't register for):
diaper duck (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-11310-Diaper-Duck-Dispenser/dp/B000HKWKFG)
disposable placemats (http://www.amazon.com/Neat-Solutions-Einstein-Biodegradable-Disposable/dp/B00193DY3C/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0) (adhesive that sticks them to restaurant tables or filthy high chairs...makes clean up a breeze!)
mini magna doodle (DD loves to play with this and it's small enough to keep in her diaper bag...great for long waits at dr's office, store, restaurant)
board book (something that we love to read to DD but isn't something common)
bjorn spoons (http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-bjorn-spoon-pink-and-black.html) (these are DDs faves and we tried ALOT of spoons)

AnnieW625
05-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I know she is having a boy, but I have no clue what the room colors are. The only clue I have to colors she likes is that she registered for the Graco Utopia pattern (greens/blues) for her swing, and Pack N Play. I forgot about the Miracle Blanket some friends of mine love it, that's a good idea too. I might still just do bottles, bib and throw in a pack of the 4 bowls from Gerber; we love those things. I also loved my food grinder.