PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro withdrawal - how long will it last?

LBW
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I started taking 10 mg of Lexapro daily about two months ago to deal with depression and anxiety. It was prescribed by my family doc. I would have preferred to deal with a psychiatrist, but that would not have been covered by our insurance. The first 3 days were absolutely horrible. I was so nauseous I actually threw up, I couldn't sleep, and I was exhausted all the time. My brain felt all hazy, and I was really out of it. It got better after that, and in about a week I felt okay.

I stuck with it for two months in hopes that it would "work." I wanted to make sure I gave it a shot after dealing with the horrendous first week. I gained about five pounds, but never noticed much of a difference with my anxiety or depression. I also just didn't feel right, so I stopped taking it. I was on the lowest dose, so I weaned myself off it fairly quickly. This was s.t.u.p.i.d.

I felt okay for about a week after taking the last pill, but now I'm dealing with withdrawal. In a big way. I'm dizzy most of the time. I can't remember anything. It really, really sucks. I wish I had never taken this $%^%$ drug to begin with. I guess that's what I get for trying to help myself.

Sigh.

For those of you who have gone through this, please tell me it will be over soon.

Melaine
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I took Lexapro for a couple weeks and quit because of the severe stomach issues I had. I didn't stick with it long enough to have withdrawal I guess but I am currently getting off Prozac and it's rough. I am semi-doubting my decision because it was really helping my anxiety, but I just wasn't happy taking the meds all the time. I really want to try to deal with my anxiety in other ways.
On the other hand, if Lexapro didn't work for you, you might still consider trying another option. The right drug really can do wonders, and I am definitely glad I took Prozac to help me through the stressful time I was going through. GL!

lisams
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry, that must be rough. I was given a prescription for Lexapro, but haven't started it (and don't think I will) but my dr. told me that usually most people need more than 10 mg, and that they start you out for a month on 10 mg to get your body used to it and then up the dose. I think she said that most of her patients take 20 mg.

I'm currently weaning off of an acid reducing med, which is a completely different kind of medication, but the weaning process and withdrawal totally sucks, so I totally feel for you.

Hoping you feel better soon.

jse107
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I went off it when we were trying for DD. It took about 2 weeks to get out of the drunken, hazy phase.

I'm back on it now to deal with my anxiety--and I never let my prescription run out for that very reason!

purpleeyes
05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
My withdrawl was exactly like yours and lasted about a week. It may have lasted longer, but I went on Wellbutrin at that point, which I promptly had an awful skin reaction to.
GREAT!
Honestly, now I am on nothing and I feel great. How long that will last, I don't know?!?! My shrink would not approve, lol.

Would it be possible to find a clinic/women's counseling center-type place that has a sliding scale for fees? That way you could get the benefit of a psychiatrist? Maybe your OB might have some referrals?

Anyway...good luck! I hope you find something that works for you!!!

Tondi G
05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
When I weaned off of Lexapro I went REALLY slow. My psychiatrist told me to do so... and I followed his advise. I started by dropping my pill by 1/4 for 2 weeks... then I was at half a pill for 2 weeks.... then 1/4 of a pill till I was out. I didn't have any withdrawl issues that made me feel hazy but I did find that I had quite a short fuse for about a month or 2 until my chemistry worked itself out! I loved Lexapro and thank god it was available when I needed it. It took a good 6 to 8 weeks for it to mellow out in my system. I was sleepy and funky for a bit and then all was well and things were great. I took my pill before I went to bed and that worked great for me!

Hope you are feeling better soon

LBW
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel a little better today. I really hope that I'm feeling a lot better by this weekend b/c I'm going to visit my best friend in Charlottesville. I know that visit will do so much more for my mental health than anything else I've done in months.

I'm sure I could probably find the right meds if I kept trying, but after what I've gone through with the Lexapro, I'm not interested in trying. We just started new health insurance, and it looks like I get a certain number of therapy sessions a year. So, I'm planning on making an appt with a psychiatrist recommended by a good friend.

veronica
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
it was absolutely horrible for me. Crazy headaches and nausea. I had to wean so slow that I shaved pills, one extra shave per day. The worst part was, i was on for over 4 months (I missed a dose once and thought I was going to die so I waited to start the withdrawal because I was afraid!).

go as slow as possible and it should be much better. Good luck with it.