PDA

View Full Version : Is this crazy to consider? (re:going back to school)

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
So, in a nutshell, I need to either go back to work or go back to school, due to the divorce which will be final next month. After much despair and gut-wrenching, I think I've decided to go to nursing school. Admissions are very selective, but I have ten years of experience in health care and very good grades from undergrad and grad school so I think I have a better than good chance at getting in.

The problem is that the school I'm looking at requires that pre-requisites be from within the last 10 years, and wouldn't you know it, I graduated 11 years ago. :rolleyes: So, I have to re-take four classes: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, and Statistics. A&P don't scare me at all, since they would pretty much just be a review for me; micro doesn't worry me much, either. Statistics does a bit, since math isn't my strongest suit and it's been so long since I've had to do ANY kind of classwork, let alone math.

The nursing school has two deadlines for application, a priority deadline in August, and a final deadline in November. If you have all of your pre-reqs completed, you can apply in August and they notify a select few in November that they got in. Everyone else gets notified in March (to start the program in June).

Is it completely insane to take all four classes at the same time this summer in order to be eligible for the priority deadline? I was always a good student, but I haven't had to have that mindset in 10 years! If possible, I would take all of them online so that I wouldn't have to worry about childcare for DS and could do most of the work while he's napping or after he's in bed. Grades are important, as they are a major consideration for admission, but (not to brag) I've never gotten less than a B in a class in my life, and not very many of those. I think I could do it, but it would be tough. On the other hand, it would be awesome to know in November that I got in (and if I didn't make the cut, it would roll over to the March admissions).

If I don't take all four at the same time, I would probably space them out to take two now and two in the fall. I don't know yet whether I will have to get a job until school would start, but there's a good chance, so that's a factor as well.

Anyway, that's a way long story to ask if you think I'm nuts to consider it? Am I asking for trouble, or is it do-able? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Classes start June 1, so I need to get this figured out fast!

kijip
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Is summer a shorter term where you are? Here summer term starts and is over in a BLINK. 4 harder classes at once in a compressed term, with a child, would be a lot. Since exceptional grades are critical for admission, I would tend to say 2 and 2 is more practical.

Also, online classes can be hard to get used too if you are not in student mode and there is usually less time to study around your child's habits than you might think. Even if it was all-online, I would try to arrange some child free time...visits with dad (if your situation allows that), babysitter, family help or something. This is double-triple important if you do 4 at once.

I do think you can do it, whichever way you decide. Good luck and congrats on making a career choice.

caheinz
05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
It depends on the class schedule.

If A&P and Micro are all with labs, then each of those will pretty much be full-time alone while it's offered.

I usually advise kids not to take more than 2 courses over the summer (not counting associated labs). Most of our summer courses condense 16 weeks into 5, so one 4 hour summer course takes the same amount of time per week as a 12+ hour schedule during the school year. (And those aren't online.)

Online doesn't necessarily mean on your own schedule. The instructor can still require you to be in a chat room at a particular time.

MontrealMum
05-19-2009, 01:07 AM
This may sound a bit harsh (and I don't mean it to) but as someone who has just completed schooling with a child WITH childcare - I think you're probably pushing it a bit. And I think it's better for you to know that now, than part way through.

I know that some of the courses would be review for you, but you still have to find the time to get the work done whether you know the material or not. And if any of those courses have group work it's going to be a huge PITA to schedule.

Of course, your DS is older than mine and I don't know what his personality is like, but it became impossible for me to work w/ DS at home (and me alone) from about 9 mos. onwards. I did all my work on the day that DH took off, the weekend, or very late at night - really, mostly late at night. It sucked...and that was only one class (last year). This year I have done 3 one semester and 4 the other (one "class" actually being a job) - with DS in childcare. If you're willing to consider some sort of childcare option I *might* consider doing all 4 - but w/o - I think you're looking at absolutely no sleep, a cranky and upset child (from not getting enough quality mommy time), and not so great grades from the sheer impossibility of trying to do too much at once.

PP also brings up the question of labs, since these are science classes - more time commitment outside of the "lecture". Also, I am not very familiar w/ current online offereings, but I will throw out there that sometimes the online equivalent of a course is actually more work than the in-class version.

What I would recommend would be to do 2 at a time, and if possible get some sort of part-time daycare/nanny situation in place for your DS so you can get some quality time in to study a few days a week.

ETA: also, the condensed nature of summer courses can make them much harder (workwise, and time commitment due to a steep learning curve) than those taught during the regular academic year. I took one last summer to make up for my nearly non-existent year last year and thought I was going to die. It was horrific - and I had DH at home on full-time parental leave to do all the childcare.

kijip
05-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Online doesn't necessarily mean on your own schedule. The instructor can still require you to be in a chat room at a particular time.

True, and even if it was all on your own schedule, trying to do most of it while your child sleeps means no time for you to sleep. You need to sleep.

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the input so far. In response to a couple of things: it's a close-to-normal length session for the summer, starting June 1 and ending August 9. DS is a really mellow kid who is pretty happy to play on his own, and naps (or at least plays in his crib) usually 3 hours each afternoon, and is in bed by 8. I'm a night owl, so usually don't go to bed until at least midnight anyway.

I *am* worried about not being in "school" mode, and I know it would be challenging. If I can't do online classes for at least some of them, I really doubt that it's even feasible to do all four at once.

I've been trying to get ahold of an academic advisor at the local community college to get some of my questions answered, but they never seem to answer their phones and haven't called me back yet. :irked:

caheinz
05-19-2009, 02:31 AM
That's only 10 weeks. A normal semester is 16. That's still 2/3rds the time -- which would mean taking all 4 at once would be like taking 6 normal courses at once during the school year. (Close to, if not actually, an overload.)

Also, are you looking at the specific courses? And do they all meet that entire time frame? A lot of places have a long summer session and two short sessions -- where the short sessions overlay the long session. You need to make sure there's no overlap in the four. (You could still have to meet on campus once or twice.)

How are exams done? You might need to go somewhere to be officially proctored. And with only a 10 week session, the chances of the courses "ganging up" on you with exams is increased.

Honestly, with the courses you're listing, I would tell an advisee (I'm a biology prof with 60-some advisees) who really wanted to take them all at once *during the regular semester* to only take one other non-related (outside of the major or elective) class at most. But, our versions of those courses all have labs with the exception of stats, so that's 15h of coursework. (In a 16-week semester, 12h is full time, 18h is the max before overload. 15h is the average.)

Have you considered doing an LPN as a stepping stone? It'd get you into the workplace faster, and leave open the possibility of finishing an RN or BSN in less time later on. (Not sure about pre-reqs, though.)

baileygirl
05-19-2009, 02:38 AM
You mentioned that you are re-taking the classes and you got at least a B in each of the classes? Unless you think that it would be too hard, I would probably try to get all of the classes done in the summer...unless you don't think you will have to work in the fall and then I would be more likely to spread them out. My concern would be having to work in the fall and then having to juggle taking 2 classes, working and being a mom. I have only taken stats, so I don't know how hard/difficult the other classes are.

Is it possible to get this requirement waived, since you are just a year shy and have subsequent healthcare experience? I have no experience with this, so it is just a thought.

ellies mom
05-19-2009, 02:41 AM
There is no way in heck I'd recommend that course load if you want to actually get accepted into nursing school, especially not over the summer with a child. I took Micro and my last A&P course over the summer but thankfully not the same summer. I'd hate to take them together in a compressed term.

I know it seems like your child is mostly self-entertaining now but there is something about a huge test to study for that turns a child into a needy mess. It is uncanny. I have yet to figure out how my youngest can tell when I stop wasting time on the computer and start studying on the computor. But the moment I do, she comes running over. If I'm on the BBB, she plays safely with age appropriate toys. If I log on to the on-line portion of my class or fire up MS Word, she either starts crying to get up on my lap or running around the house with choking hazards in her mouth trying to stick things in outlets.

Anyhow, I think applying to nursing school is a great idea but it would be better to take two terms and get better grades than taking them all at once and risk getting bad grades. Good luck though with whatever you decide.

ha98ed14
05-19-2009, 05:26 AM
I think going back to school is a great idea. I think nursing is fabulous. I think you are kidding yourself if you think you can take all 4 courses in a 10 week term with no daycare and no other care giver for DS living with you. Even with daycare, it would be impossible to actually learn what you need to in that space of time. I'm not talking out of my backside, either. Believe it or not, I took all the pre-reqs for nursing school and applied to a second degree BSN program and was accepted before I decided I probably would not make a very good nurse. But having taken all the courses you are listing plus organic chemistry, (THAT was fun! Not!) I can tell you you are setting yourself up for a very difficult experience if your try to do it all at once. Don't A&P and Micro Bio have lab components? Mine did and you had to be there in the lab, even if the course was online.

Secondly, are you sure you can actually get into the pre-req classes you need? When I was looking to take them all the community college classes were filled. The programs are beseiged with people wanting to go into nursing. If you have not already been enrolled there, you will be among the last to register. Honestly, I would be surprised if the counselor calls you back, that is how swamped they are.

IIWY, I would take A&P this summer because they will probably be easiest for you to do in a short period of time and save Stats and Micro for the fall. I have been going part time since DD was 6 mo old. She's 2 now. Yes, it is taking me forever to get where I want to be, but I am relatively sane. The 2nd degree BSN is going to be really intense. You will have to get some time of full time care for DS just to do your clinicals. Take your time. Enjoy going back to school and give yourself time to get back into the groove. Also consider putting DS is some type of PT care that he can trasition to FT when you have to go to school FT. If the nursing program is really selective, you will have just as good of a chance a year from now as your do now and you will probably have better grades and a happier DS because the transition happened slowly.

LBW
05-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I would try to do them all in the summer if the scheduling works out, but I would only do so if I could have p/t childcare of some sort during the day. You really need to be able to focus on yourself and your coursework and you will not be able to do that if you are also caring for your DS, no matter how mellow he is. Also, what if he gets sick?

I'd look into a college-age babysitter who is looking for summer work. I've had good luck finding people on craigslist and sittercity.

lowrioh
05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I would also recommend contacting the head of the nursing program and see if you can get an exception to the 10 year rule. They often make exceptions in cases when you have significant experience in the field.

mommylamb
05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Don't worry too much about statistics. I'm not a math person either, but I think stats is something that is so applicable to life that it's easier to understand (at least for me it is). I took it actually twice, once in under grad and once in grad school, and I will say that my undergrad class made you actually write out the equations, and while it was a pain in the a$$, it helped you understand why you use a chi squared for one thing and an ANOVA for another. My grad school class just used SPSS (the software) and I found it much more confusing.

Laurel
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Two thoughts-

Do you have to have the prereqs done by the time you apply or by the time your program begins?

Is your Nursing school at a public university? If yes, I would try to apply as close to the August application period as possible. With the economy, it seems like all these programs have fewer spots than before, and are first come, first served.

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 10:38 AM
See, the problem is that I don't have the time to wait and take my time. I'm on a very limited schedule as to being able to support myself financially, and that means I need to get into school ASAP, or find a job that can support me, which honestly is not very likely in this economy and with my background/experience. As it is, I wouldn't be able to start until next June, so waiting until June 2011 is really not an option.

I'm going to try to get more aggressive and persistent about getting ahold of people today and tomorrow. It's really frustrating not getting return calls. I need to have some good information before Thursday when we go back to mediation to try to finish out our divorce agreement. I don't have answers to the questions about the community college courses being full/having labs/online courses requiring in-person labs/etc.

eta (x-posted with Laurel): Yes, it's a public university, but it's not first come, it's selective admissions. All but one of the pre-reqs have to be complete at the time of application.

jenmcadams
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I would also recommend contacting the head of the nursing program and see if you can get an exception to the 10 year rule. They often make exceptions in cases when you have significant experience in the field.

I would definitely try to pursue some sort of waiver and at the same time see if it's even possible to take them all now. I'm one of those people who double-majored in science (Bio) and math and rarely got a B like you. So, while I think taking all of the courses at once could be tough -- you have already taken 3 of the 4 in the past and I think it's completely doable. It's just a matter of brushing up. Also, if you took the classes at a 4 year institution as part of your BS/MS, those classes might have been more rigorous and might have been great prep for the classes you'll be retaking.

I think the toughest thing is going to be finding all four classes online and getting space. Also, coordinating the labs might be tough and it seems like at least 2 of those options should/would have lab time.

Clarity
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I was going to say what many of the pp's have already. I work at a U and we have a nursing program but we get students from several hospital related nursing programs with similar requirements - i.e. most students need to refresh 3 or 4 courses before applying to nursing school.
I think it could be done. I've taken four classes in the summer before, two the first term, two the second. Trying to take all four in a compressed term would be too much though.

Something to think about - can you test out of any of the courses that you need? By departmental exam, CLEP, etc? I'd look into it. Can't hurt!

ha98ed14
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
If you are a FT student and are a single parent, there ARE resources that will help you. You essentially will have no income other than child support, so you will probably qualify for Title 20 (subsidized daycare) maybe food stamps and grants and loans. Community colleges especially have resources to help single parents and people who are returning to work. I know you think you do not have time. But maybe the answer to the mediation questions are: Nursing is what I want to do. I am doing my best to get into the classes asap, but they are wait listed (which is mostl likely TRUE). Maybe they can make exH might need to pony up more for longer in order for you to get back on your feet. While it may be humbling to do, if you need to, go down and apply for cash welfare benefits. That is why it is there. If you are a FT student with a child in tow, you will qualify for something. I still think your best bet is to take this next school year to do the pre-reqs and also take any of the classes you would otherwise have to take during the nursing program, but can complete early. At my school, there were a couple you could complete prior to enrolling in the nursing program and then you did not have to take them during clinicals. Really, why can't you be a FT student for this summer and the 09-10 school year? Take some filler classes if you need to to make yourself FT to get the aid you need.

Also, I still think you are going to have a really hard time getting into the classes you need this summer. You will have a much better shot if you can be at the school for a semester because then you will have completed some units and your registration number will improve. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just know you should be prepared for that reality.

Right now you feel desperate to find SOMETHING to do. But slow down. There government doesn't care if you are taking nursing pre-reqs or basket weaving: you will get the same aid. Please, take advantage of whatever you can. There are resources out there, you just need to whack the bushes to make them appear. I'm keeping you in my P&PTs.

brittone2
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I think it depends on how compressed your schedule would be w/ 4 classes. As a PP said if there are 2 summer terms it might be doable since you've had several of the classes before. If each class would be several hours per day 4 days a week, 4 classes would be too much, IMO.

Stats is pretty easy (eta: well, a first year course anyway!), and A&P should be easy if you've had it before.

sste
05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Only had time to read quickly, so forgive me if you explained this.

Is it an option to call the school and find out if you can apply "priority" with 1-2 courses outstanding? And whether this would disadvantage you? Sometimes schools will accept you but make your attendance conditional on your completing the remaining pre-reqs. I would explain your situation and see if they can help you out.

If that is not possible, I think you have way more to lose from mediocre performance on the classes and/or driving yourself crazy than from finding out about your acceptance some months later than "priority."

MontrealMum
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I still think that trying to do 4 courses - in any subject - as a single parent in a summer term is not the best idea. So I'm going to say that first off. But in any case you've got some in-person research to do. If you can't get people on the phone your best solution is to go there in person - I know, not easy with a small child.

Find out which courses are offered at which schools and their timeframes - luckily you live in a major metro area w/lots of options. Then find out if they transfer or are acceptable to the nursing program you want to do. If some of these are at community colleges this might be an issue. You need to know when the courses are offered, their lab times, and if they conflict with one another. If there is an in-person mid-term and final. Classes like that often also have mid-terms. Specific online "chat" times, or journals to be completed. Group work.

As Elliesmom mentioned, I found more often than not that when I had a big deadline this would invariably be the time that DS would get sick, or have horrible teething pains, and I've be up to 5 am because of having to calm him first, before finishing my work. I am graduating from this program with a 3.9 only because of incredible determination and very little sleep. VERY very little sleep. I know you have incredible determination too - look at all the athletic things you do! :) - and you are also very motivated - but in the end, if you don't have enough hours in the day, you don't have enough hours in the day.

The issue of getting into these classes is a big one also. There are lots of nursing students, premed students and other "traditional" undergrads that will be taking these courses over the summer to get ahead. Just as a frame of reference, our summer classes here have been open for admission for over 2 months. I would not be surprised to find that many of these courses you're considering are already full.

If I had to prioritize, first I would call the advisor of the nursing school where you want to eventually go. Set up a meeting. Or figure out their office hours and go there in person. Tell them your story - why you want to go back to school, how you have some of these courses but have *just* missed the 10 yr. deadline, show them your great transcripts, and maybe letters of ref. from your health-related jobs. They might bend the rules for you - it can't hurt to ask.

As another non-traditional student (read: older) I know that we are perceived very differently and there may be some discretionary wiggle room. Older students always perform much better than traditional-age students because they are more motivated, more mature, and even if they also have jobs or kids they seem to be more focused with fewer distractions - so you have a good chance of doing very well in this program, and they know that.

This is getting long...another question since I get that you are up against an awful time constraint here and that really sucks :hug: : are you absolutely certain that nursing is the one thing you want to do, or did you chose it because it seemed like the fastest way to get into the job market? No judgement at all, just wondering. Depending on where you graduated from originally there might be career counselling services that you still qualify for as an alum (things have changed in the age of the internet!) If you're on the fence about nursing or willing to consider something else I'd check that out and see if someone can come up with a few more "quick" options that make the best use of your current education and credentials.

You know you have a really good Physician's Assistant program there locally too, right? I have a friend that just finished it.

Moneypenny
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I'm understanding that you want to attend nursing school at a public university. The university should have an office to help adult students and that office will have an advisor who can help you with all of this, even before you apply for admission to the nursing school. It may be called the non-traditional student office, special student office, office of adult and returning students, etc.

the university I work at has lots of options for special students, so it's possible you could be admitted for Fall 2009 as a special student to take your prereqs, and then get into the nursing program for Fall 2010.

Clarity
05-19-2009, 02:15 PM
You know you have a really good Physician's Assistant program there locally too, right? I have a friend that just finished it.

This is a great idea too. We have a few people who have left positions where I work to pursue this option. Apparently they are well compensated. I just found this: "The median expected salary for a typical Physician Assistant - Medical (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_HC07000009.html#bottom) in the United States is $82,319."

niccig
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I think 4 classes all at once without childcare will be too much. I agree with the others about children knowing when yore attention is elsewhere. I've done part-time study for the last 3 years, one subject at a time. DS is easy going, would nap 2-3 hours EXCEPT when I had an exam or an essay due. The day before things were due, he would start acting up and wouldn't nap. I really needed that study time, so I would drive him in the car to get him asleep, then pull into a parking lot of the supermarket or something like that, and sit in the car reading over my notes. He would start to wake, and I would drive for another 10-15 mins until he went back to sleep, pull over and start reading.

I think some of the summer classes will already be full - they have limited enrolment. I would be looking at going full-time in Sept. for a year and get the pre-reqs done, and do some other classes to get full-time status - then you can also get assistance and aid. You'll need to find child care, you can't study full-time and be a full-time parent. I had 2 women from the YMCS babysitting come ot my house so I could go to classes. But as full-time student and single mum, you might be first on list for the campus childcare.

I have a friend that is a RN. She started out as receptionist in ER, got her GED, became a LPN all while her son was young. It took her some time to get her RN by doing night classes. She would work during the day then do one class at a time. I think getting your RN now would be ideal, but only if you can swing it. Can you have meditation include a time period of support to get your studies done???

You'll find a way to get it all done.

egoldber
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Since you're not finished with mediation, can you try to get him to agree to pay for full time child care if you take all 4 classes this summer?

While it would be hard, I think if you had reliable full time child care it would be doable and preferable to stretching it out in your situation. Sicne you've already taken 2-3 of the classes, that makes it much different IMO than taking them cold. But I would first petition to get your other classes counted.

Look for a stats tutor if that is the stumbling block. I have taught basic stats/intro to stats many times. There are always tutors, typically grad students who have taught the class or know who is.

niccig
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to add something positive, as I was negative about trying to do all the study at once.

Whatever you choose, you will get through it. I watched my mother get back her teaching career after she left my father. It was a difficult few years for us financially, but she did it. And you have the determination, so I know you'll get done what you need to do, for your and Tyler's future.

s_gosney
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I think that PPs have made a lot of good points. 4 classes over a summer would be really tough (especially with no child care), but sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done. I would definitely explore the other options though. I will say though that ds just turned one and I just finished another semester of having him with me FT (I'm a PhD student). It was really hard, but we made it through.

Do you have a support network at all? That would be a big help and could help absorb some of the impact if your ds did get sick or just at crunch times. Another thing to consider is that in the summer you might have more luck finding some informal type of child care help. If you know someone who has a kid around 10 or so who might be too big to want to go to daycare type things but is too young to stay home, they could play with your ds and your only added work would be making a little more food for lunch/snack.

dogmom
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I teach a 10 week compressed Anatomy and Physiology course online for pre-req for a nursing program. Most of the students have already been accepted or on the wait list for September. There is no lab component. Some of the students also take a nutrition, chem & micro course at the same time as pre-req. It sucks, but they get through it. It is not ideal, it is not the best way to learn the material. However, since they are going right into a program after the compressed term they start using the knowledge they really need for their education right away. For example, they take Pathophys right after they take A&P.

I would make several suggestions:
-Talk to the nursing school to get an idea how tough the admissions process is. You should have a realistic idea of how likely you are to get in. Let them know you are a soon to be single parent, but be professional about it.
-Ask them if you can get the pre-req you haven't taken out of way this summer and take the A&P in the fall, that might help.
-Talk to the people that will be teaching the 4 courses you have to take, they will have a good idea how doable it is. You will also get a sense if they are flexible or not, which will help you decide.
-What is your custody agreement going to be like? Will dad take you child for a whole weekend? You can get a lot done in 48 hours with no kid!
-

Feel free to email me if you want.

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I do appreciate them, even the ones who think I'm nuts. :wink2:

A few thoughts based on comments I read:

Unfortunately, it looks like the nursing school is pretty strict with their ten years requirement on the pre-reqs. Which sucks since I've taken all of them. But one reason I decided to really pursue this particular school is because it's *only* four classes. Another school would accept all of my pre-reqs, but looks like I would have to take a LOT more that I didn't have in undergrad/grad school, and another one only accepts pre-reqs within 5-7 years and doesn't allow online courses for the sciences. The school that I'm looking at is the cheapest of the bunch, and allows online classes. A lab is recommended for A&P and micro, but not required. I had a lab when I took all of them in undergrad, so I'm not worried about not taking one now. I have a list from the school with acceptable courses from all of the in-state schools.

You can't apply priority with courses outstanding. If you haven't taken all of the pre-requisites, you have to wait for the November deadline.

A lot of people (not just here, IRL as well) have asked me why not PT or a PA program? Well, for one thing, that's just not what I want to do. PT, anyway. I spent several years working in physical therapy clinics, and I know all the ins and outs, and while it's not necessarily bad, it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. As for PA...well, I could kind of see that, maybe. BUT...both PT and PA would require me to re-take the GRE as well as a LOT more pre-requisites. They have the same 10 or even 5 year guidelines, but a lot more classes...chemistry, physics, 14 hours of biological sciences, etc. And the PA programs out here (which ARE great) are even more competitive to get into than nursing school!

I did finally talk to someone at the community college. She was actually pretty encouraging. She said that it would be tough, especially if I need to get good grades rather than just pass, but it's doable if there are classes open that I can get into. I need to go in and talk to someone with my transcripts and they can waive pre-requisite requirements (like needing A&P I in order to take A&P II). I went ahead and registered with the college so I could see the course availability, and it's there. Some of the sections are almost full, but it looks like all four have openings for the online section.

While I would love to not need childcare, I'm definitely not opposed to getting it if I need to. I do have a drop-in daycare that I use occasionally, and a few neighborhood high-schoolers who might be available as well.

As to whoever asked if this is what I really want to do (sorry, can't remember, there are a lot of comments here! :))...I think it is. It's funny, it's not something that had even occurred to me until about two weeks ago (hence the mad rush to get this all figured out). I had looked into things like massage therapy a while back, but really wasn't very excited about it. Nursing is something that I feel like I could get excited about. There are just so many opportunities out there. You can change careers without needing any real re-education as long as you have that RN. The earning potential to support myself and DS is there, right off the bat. And I could potentially even work a shift schedule out (assuming working in a hospital) that would still allow me to basically be a full-time mom. I'm a caretaker by nature...I think this might be perfect for me!

ellies mom
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Look into childcare on campus if possible. It can be a really good option. I used it when I was taking my pre-reqs for my oldest. It was very affordable, with flexable hours that I could change every quarter as my schedule changed. And our program offered reduced rates for those that qualified. Having child-free study time built into your schedule is a huge help even if you spend part of it just sipping coffee at the local coffee shop.

vludmilla
05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I just want to write a note of encouragement. I am in the dissertation writing stage of my PhD and I have an almost three year old and I work full time. More than a few people have suggested that I am crazy to be doing this degree and many people have said that they "could never do it". I guess what I am saying is that if you are determined and hard-working (and I think you are), many things are possible. If you can get the child care worked out, I totally think you can do the four classes this summer. It may be very difficult and you may not sleep much or enjoy the summer in the usual ways but that will just make the success at the end that much sweeter. You can do it!

MontrealMum
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Gaye, I don't think you're nuts. I just wanted to try and let you know how difficult this will be, and what some of the pitfalls are that you might face - as someone who's sort of been there, and who probably is nuts :p But I am very much behind you in whatever you choose to do, and I just want you to know that I'm totally pulling for you :)

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh, I get that, Molly. I know that you all are just trying to warn me. I don't take offense to it, I promise! :loveeyes:

I guess I could be deluding myself, but I really don't think the classes will be that difficult for me. I've already learned all the material, and did very well in them the first time around. And besides...they're 100 level courses at a community college...how hard could they really be?? :-p I'm more concerned that there will be a lot of busy work that will make it harder than the actual learning of the material!

jenmcadams
05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Gaye -

If you get a chance and want to PM me and tell me where you're looking at doing the classes, I might be able to give you some advice childcare-wise. My kids have done several years of preschool at a lab school at one of the Denver Metro CCs and they typically have a ton of space in the summer.

May not be something you need, but just in case...I could pass along the info,

Jen

carolinamama
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I have been following this thread because I did a second degree BSN program before I had kids (I've been working almost 6 years, so it has been awhile). I did my prereqs at a community college, and while some of it was a review, I found that I learned more there than I did in my first degree at a large university in similar classes- not busy work. I really enjoyed the classes much more than I thought and put alot of effort into them. When I started the actual nursing program, I was better prepared for some classes such as patho than the people who took the classes at the university.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I think you can probably do it - sacrificing sleep and leisure time. But I would probably encourage you to find regular childcare to ensure that you can study and make sure your grades are what you need them to be.

DrSally
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM

I agree with this. It doesn't hurt to ask. Explain your situation. I think it's great that your pursuing this so actively and think you can be very successful given your past school performance. I wouldn't worry too much about stats. Basic stats is actually not a lot of "math". Theoretical statistics, on the other hand, was one of the hardest courses I had in grad school (for a non-math person).

I'm sorry I missed your posts about your impending divorce. I've read in the past that you were considering it, but didn't realize it's in the works. I think your active approach toward reshaping your life are very healthy! GL and keep us posted. There's such a shortage of nurses, you will be a very welcome addition to the field, I'm sure.

carolinamama
05-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Just wanted to add another note of encouragement. Nursing has been a great career for me and having kids. I work my schedule around my family's needs. Right now I work part-time but I have gone full-time here and there since having DS1. Very flexible and you get more days with your kid(s) than most other jobs. It is tiring many days and I work in a higher-stress area, but I don't regret going into nursing one bit. Always lots of options if you get tired of working at the bedside etc.

Best of luck to you.

ha98ed14
05-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Gaye, I don't think you're nuts. I just wanted to try and let you know how difficult this will be, and what some of the pitfalls are that you might face - as someone who's sort of been there, and who probably is nuts :p But I am very much behind you in whatever you choose to do, and I just want you to know that I'm totally pulling for you :)

Me too. Sorry if I was all gloom and doom. I too felt like I'd BTDT. If you can get the classes, that is great! Best of Luck :)

gatorsmom
05-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Gaye, I just wanted to say I think it's awesome that you are doing this and I'll be saying some prayers that you don't run up against too many stumbling stones. I think you'll do great, too. I remember in college that the best students in my classes were always the older ones- you know, the people who were not straight out of high school. They nearly ALWAYS got the best grades.

I don't have a doubt that you can do this. Make sure you give us progress reports!

mommy111
05-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Gaye, I have no useful advice and can type only limited lines b/c our internet connection has been broken for weeks and all I have is my old blackberry, but.....I just have to say that I think you are absolutely FANTASTIC and your courage is inspirational!!! Nursing is a fabulous career choice financially and esp for working moms because of the flexibility and the good pay. As far as the courses go, 3 of them are just repeats, quite frankly I have been thinking from the start of this thread that this is totally doable with some childcare close to exams. It just means housework and Grey's anatomy after Tyler sleeps will have to fall by the wayside a little, but with a regular 2hrs study a day, you will fly. Besides, your son is older and probably pretty able to cooperate to give you the quiet time that you may need.
Good luck mama! But a lady with your pluck will do it without even needing luck.

rachelh
05-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I did not have time to read thru all the answers but I am back in school going for nursing and working as well. I would be extremely surprised if the college would even let you take all those courses over the summer. Here A&P is in one class so not sure how it is split there but Micro and A&P both have lab and lecture components and each class probably meets Monday thru Thursday and are 4 credits. Statistics I would imagine is 4 credits as well. I am not sure what the cap is but in the community colleges here I think a full credit load for the summer is 8 credits. And A&P and Micro require a lot of studying!!

Maybe you should speak with an advisement counselor.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck!

tylersmama
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
All right, so after sleeping on it and thinking a bit more, I'm thinking that I may just do two this summer and two this fall and just forget about the priority application deadline. I talked with my babysitter this morning (she's actually looking at doing the same thing) and we decided that maybe the priority deadline isn't actually that big a deal. It basically would just give me the chance to know that I got accepted five months earlier than the regular deadline. You still start school at the same time, either way.

I also thought a little bit about the whole spousal support/job thing. If I'm taking classes over the summer and through the fall, I have a pretty good case not to have to get a job before I would potentially start nursing school next summer whereas if I took all the classes this summer, I would most likely have to look for a job in September. Something to discuss with STBX at mediation tomorrow, anyway.

We'll see, I haven't totally made up my mind yet, but that's the way I'm leaning at the moment anyway. Depending on how things go at mediation, I'll probably go get registered for classes afterwards. Eek. I'm probably going to be a student in less than two weeks! :eek:

ha98ed14
05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
All right, so after sleeping on it and thinking a bit more, I'm thinking that I may just do two this summer and two this fall and just forget about the priority application deadline. I talked with my babysitter this morning (she's actually looking at doing the same thing) and we decided that maybe the priority deadline isn't actually that big a deal. It basically would just give me the chance to know that I got accepted five months earlier than the regular deadline. You still start school at the same time, either way.

I also thought a little bit about the whole spousal support/job thing. If I'm taking classes over the summer and through the fall, I have a pretty good case not to have to get a job before I would potentially start nursing school next summer whereas if I took all the classes this summer, I would most likely have to look for a job in September. Something to discuss with STBX at mediation tomorrow, anyway.

We'll see, I haven't totally made up my mind yet, but that's the way I'm leaning at the moment anyway. Depending on how things go at mediation, I'll probably go get registered for classes afterwards. Eek. I'm probably going to be a student in less than two weeks! :eek:

This sounds very manageable. I hope it all works out exactly as you need!

strollerqueen
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I wish you all the best. It's tough, but you can do it! I have two friends who went back to school. I watch their kids a lot, but hey, whatever I can do to help....Try and set up a good support system, with lots of back-ups in case someone falls through.