PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera recommendations...for DS!

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
I had been thinking about getting DS one of those toddler cameras for his birthday next week, but I think he may actually be ready for something more advanced. While at my SIL's wedding last week, one of the bridesmaids showed DS how to aim and focus my digital camera and he ended up taking 150 (!!) pictures at the reception. And a lot of them were REALLY good! (side note...he showed everyone their picture after he took it; then he started taking pictures of inanimate objects--the waterfall, the cake--and showing THEM the picture!:ROTFLMAO:)

So, instead of a not-cheap toddler camera that has pretty crappy resolution, I think he may be ready for a "real" camera. It doesn't need to be anything fancy with lots of features, and I want to keep it under $200. I would like decent resolution, but it doesn't have to be 12 megapixels or anything crazy like that. Easy to use controls and at least semi-indestructability are a plus. And a pretty large LCD screen for framing the picture and showing it off afterward. :wink2:

Any ideas? TIA!

ellies mom
05-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Do you have an old digital camera lying around or know anyone who might? We gave our oldest an old 3 megapixal Olympus that had been replaced twice over. It is not super fancy so she can use it without help but still has features that she can grow into. The resolution is fine for printing snapshots if desired and it is pretty sturdy. And since they aren't worth much, you won't cringe every time it hits the floor.

o_mom
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Craigslist is your friend here! :) If you can find the same brand as your camera, it is helpful so you can share cables, etc.

ohiomom1121
05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
My kids both have the Vtech kidizoom, but have recently taken over my Nikon Coolpix every time I take it somewhere. I can't remember the model but it was around $129 a year or so ago. I think it's 10 MP and the LCD is huge. They both do a good job with it, and I think it's actually easier for them to focus and get a good shot because the LCD is so big. BUT, if they droppped it I'm not sure how well it would hold up. With the kidizooms that wouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

hillview
05-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I have no suggestions but I think your idea is GREAT. We got DS a kid one for Christmas. He never uses it and the quality is lousy.
/hillary

LBW
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
If you already have a point-and-shoot digital camera, I'd look into upgrading your own camera and giving your DS your old camera.

caleymama
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Do you have an old digital camera lying around or know anyone who might? We gave our oldest an old 3 megapixal Olympus that had been replaced twice over. It is not super fancy so she can use it without help but still has features that she can grow into. The resolution is fine for printing snapshots if desired and it is pretty sturdy. And since they aren't worth much, you won't cringe every time it hits the floor.

:yeahthat:

That's what we did. DD's grandparents gave her a kid camera a few years ago (a Crayola model, I think) but it's awful to use and the images are terrible. Also, if the batteries run out you lose any images that haven't been uploaded. Needless to say it only got used a few times. I have a dSLR now, but DDs use the Sony Cybershot DSC-P71 that we got almost 7 yrs ago when DD1 was born. We had replaced it with with a Sony DSC-H1 over 3 years ago. The old Cybershot is perfect for either DD and the image quality is great for snapshots.

KrisM
05-19-2009, 09:50 AM
We gave DS a 7MP Polaroid for his birthday. He loves it. I picked it because it was on clearance and had a rebate and was only $16 at Walgreen's (back in August). But, it has no view-finder, only a big LCD screen, which is nice for him. It's a bit slow on taking the picture, but not bad.

We did like that it takes an SD card, which is what our Canon uses. So, we bought ourselves a bigger 4GB card and gave DS the 2GB. We lowered the resolution at which he is taking pictures and he can now store about 10,000 on his camera card :).

We also like that it takes AA batteries. We already had the rechargeables for that.

tylersmama
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I do kind of like the idea of upgrading mine and giving him the old one, but I've had mine for less than a year so I don't know how well that would fly with STBX (who's still footing the bills at the moment). :p

I looked at Costco today and they had a couple of really good deals on cameras that looked like they would be good for DS. One was the Casio Exilim for $129.99 and I've completely forgotten the other one right now, but it was $119 (both had rebates). They both had nice big LCD screens, and fairly simple controls. I think I'll probably go with one of those.

Personally, I don't like the cameras that take AA batteries...I'd much rather have a dedicated battery that needs recharged. With my camera (a Canon powershot) I've never had the battery die on me, and I'm lucky if I remember to charge it every couple of months!

KrisM
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
My Canon Powershot takes AA batteries :). We do use rechargeables in it and I just keep a spare set of charged batteries in the case, in case they do die on me. If I forget to do that, I don't mind getting AA disposables somewhere.

kedss
05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
We got our son a Samsung L100 for his 'Big Brother' gift when his sister was born last June, and it has survived a bunch of 5 and 3 year olds using it. :) I think it was about a $100, the flash sucks, but its great for outside, and to charge it up you just plug in the camera, no batteries to keep buying. :)