PDA

View Full Version : BF ??? re: 8 mo.

lovebeingamom
05-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I know every child is different - however, how often should an 8 mo. nurse?

My DD nursed at least 8 times/day at 8 mo. She was still nursing 4 times/day at 12 mo (finally weaned at 15 mo). My DS is nursing like only 5-7 times/day - on the lower side of things recently. Is it my milk supply (I always wonder)? I never yield much when I pump, never really have with either DC.

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA.

Riley's mama
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
My DD was nursing about 4-5 times/day at 8 months. She is now a little over 10 months and still nurses about 4 times a day. Once we *really* started solids (almost 7 months by the time she was eating anything substantial), the nursing has gradually decreased. Hope that helps.

o_mom
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
It really varies widely. I know DS3 was an "all business" nurser and would tank up quickly and then was off to play at that age. He was probably down to 5-6 times a day at that point, but was taking quite a bit in during those sessions (I was able to weigh him before and after on a digital scale at one point and he took in more than 6 oz in less than 5 min :eek:).

Look at your baby to determine if he is getting enough. Is he happy? Not acting hungry all the time? Still growing? Plenty of wet and dirty diaper? If so, then you are probably just fine. :)

lovebeingamom
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Look at your baby to determine if he is getting enough. Is he happy? Not acting hungry all the time? Still growing? Plenty of wet and dirty diaper? If so, then you are probably just fine. :)

I know ... I always worry that my DC "aren't getting enough". DS is happy all the time (except for the occasional teething), sleeps 8 hrs at night before needing a nursing, seems very content after nursings - as for still growing, his last well-check at 6 mo. he was quite the healthy boy (18.8lbs., next visit at 9 mo.).

DS is also a down-to-business nurser, completing a nursing sometimes in 4 minutes and again seems content. He is very distractable though - is that good or bad?!?!? As soon as he hears anything of interest to him, especially his sister, that nursing session is over. Any suggestions for me in this area?

I really appreciate the feedback .... I was "reading" on a breastfeeding site that said at 8 mo. a baby should still be nursing a minimum of 7 times/day - I got a little nervous.

Beckylove
05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
At 8mo my DS was nursing 5 times a day with 2 solid meals. It sounds like you and son are doing well-- he's growing, sleeping well and happy. I wouldn't let another websites suggested times freak you out. Every nursing pair is different and you are the best judge about whether he is getting enough.

As far as being distracted-- I don't have too much advice. We nurse in DS's room with dim lighting. The same place usually so he doesn't see anything new or exciting to catch his interest. I think it is just a cute part of their development when everything around them is fascinating. I try to entice him back to nursing when he pops off-- sometimes he eats more, sometimes he doesn't. I assume he'll catch up next time.

LMPC
05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
FWIW, anytime I read an article/book that gives *one* number and not a range I get a little suspicious. How can anything about a baby be THAT precise??!! I agree with o_mom...happy and healthy? Then no worries!

lovebeingamom
05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions - I so greatly appreciate it all.

lovebeingamom
05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
At 8mo my DS was nursing 5 times a day with 2 solid meals.

When would you DS nurse, at what times?

Beckylove
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I nursed 8am
solids 9am
nursed 12pm
solids 1pm
nursed 4pm
nursed 6:30pm
nursed 8pm

These times are approximate-- the 12pm and 4pm nursing sessions especially- they are just whenever he woke up from his morning and afternoon nap.

lovebeingamom
05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Beckylove .... sounds like my DS schedule. Thanks again for the input!!!!!!!!