PDA

View Full Version : Gradual weaning and when to pump?

tny915
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I want to stop pumping at work and encourage DD2 to drink more cow's milk at daycare. She nurses in the morning, at bedtime, and 1-2X at night. I'm planning on keeping all these nursing sessions. On weekends and the one weekday I'm off, I will also nurse before and sometimes after each nap. She never asks to nurse other than these times I've listed.

I'd like to just pump one bottle for daycare. Up until today I had been sending two. So my question is when is the best time to pump to still keep up my supply for these few times that DD nurses? First thing in the morning, last thing in the evening, or right when I get home from work?
I'm away from home from 8am-6pm. Will my supply be okay going that long with no pumping?

Clarity
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
If you want to keep pumping to send just one bottle in, why not try pumping in the a.m., after work, and at bedtime to see how much you can express then go with the one in which you are able to express the most. My guess would be for right after work but that's what would work for my body based on when I pump now and how much dd2 nurses.

wendibird22
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
When I pump weaned I kept the lunchtime session as my only session for a few months. I was able to pump 4oz at that time and that was enough for one bottle for DD. I totally pump weaned when DD was about 14mos and I continued to nurse her at night until we weaned at 21mos and had no problems maintaining my supply going the whole day w/out nursing/pumping.