PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what camera you have that is great for pictures of kids

left210
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I am looking to get a new camera. I want something that is simple and does a good job of capturing kids pictures. My current camera always makes the background dark and their faces too white with flash. I want something that does well indoors trying to capture everyday things but also will use it to take pictures at my oldest sons baseball games, etc. It would be nice to have a long zoom too. I am not ready for a DSLR as they are too big and I dont think I would know what to do with it. It doesnt have to be pocket sized but what I would call a small to medium size would be fine. Does anyone have a camera they just love and would share which one it is?

ormc
05-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but am hoping someone will reply because I have the same question! I use an Elixim pocket point and shoot and its terrible when the kids are moving - the pictures always come out blurry. I'm ready to get something nicer but would be overwhelmed but one of those big ones with all the lenses and other gear...

Neatfreak
05-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Maybe you don't need a new camera. From what you've said about the background being too dark and the flash making faces too white, it just sounds like you need to change some of the manual settings (if you have them) on your camera.

Too dark = increase the exposure compensation (usually denoted as +/-)
Faces too white = skip the flash, find some natural light, use the exposure compensation again, adjust to faster (bigger) ISO ...

onree
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I've heard good things about the Fuji F200EXR -- mostly because Fujis have a reputation for being good at indoor/low light photography without a flash (natural light). The other suggestion I would have is to get a camera that allows attachment of an external flash, like the Canon G9 -- external flash that you can point up at the ceiling and have the light bounce back down really makes a world of difference for indoor pictures. The only drawback there is cost (a good external flash is another $200) and bulkiness/weight.

firsttimemama
06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
This doesn't really answer your question because you said you didn't want a DSLR - but in my opinion they are the best cameras to have when you have kids because of how fast they shoot - you don't miss the moments

We have the Nikon D40

We also have a sony smaller digital camera .. I don't know the model #.. it's OK, for when I don't want to haul the Nikon - but honestly? The pictures with the Nikon are so much better. And I've had a ton of trouble sharing (email/blogging) the video I get off the sony. All kinds of errors. etc.

Melbel
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a Sony H series camera (H5) in addition to my Nikon 40x SLR. I have been very happy with the Sony and think it is a great camera due to minimal shutter lag, great pop up flash, speed burst function and great zoom. There are newer versions of this camera available. I would also search www.dpreview.com for comprensive, helpful reviews.

ahrimie
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe you don't need a new camera. From what you've said about the background being too dark and the flash making faces too white, it just sounds like you need to change some of the manual settings (if you have them) on your camera.

Too dark = increase the exposure compensation (usually denoted as +/-)
Faces too white = skip the flash, find some natural light, use the exposure compensation again, adjust to faster (bigger) ISO ...

:yeahthat:

You don't need an SLR. Most small cameras have manual settings too (we just usually don't use them). Even with my SLR, I am constantly adjusting the settings to capture the best "light". I almost never use flash; it doesn't produce the best pictures, though it captures actions better indoors. Indoors, try setting your ISO higher (.7, 1.0, 1.3) and see what you like.

Babymakes3
07-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Definitely get a Canon! Mine is the Powershot SD600 and I love it but its from a few years ago so they've for sure done tons of updates to it by now!

I also have the Canon Rebel DSLR camera that is beyond fabulous but if you want simple just get a Canon Powershot!

Claki
07-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I recommend the Canon PowerShot SX10IS. More full-featured than a point and shoot, less featured and bulky than a DSLR. The zoom is great.