PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose b/w Ultimate Crib Sheet or QuickZip

mdtweety
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi! This is my first pregnancy and so I am not sure of everything I need for the bedding.
I read about the Ultimate Crib Sheet and QuickZip in the Baby Bargains book and have been looking more online about them (kind of overwhelming so I am going crazy). Can anyone help guide me as to which one would be better to buy? Ultimate Crib Sheet has many more reviews (mostly positive) but some people have said their babies have been able to unsnap the snaps and somehow get underneath it. This scares me, though maybe they did not put the sheet on correctly or it just didn't fit their mattress well? The QuickZip doesn't have that many reviews but people seem to like it. Anyway, I'm still a little unclear about how each one works and what I need to buy with them.
-If I get the QuickZip, do I need to buy regular fitted sheets as well, or does the QuickZip serve as the sheet?
-What is everything I need to buy with either one to ensure I have everything I need in terms of bedding?
-Do I need a mattress pad too? (I am buying the Colgate Classica 1 Mattress).
Thanks in advance for any help!

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2009, 09:03 PM
We did put a mattress pad down, then the crib sheet. My DD did crawl under the UCS, but not until she was quite old, and obviously quite capable. It is more like a piece of bread on a sandwich - so not dangerous. We don't put any blankets in the crib. I think the thing that enabled her to get under it and suspend it high in the crib was that the ends of our crib are solid, so we have to remove the snaps on the short ends. We really, really like the ease of use.

I did just consider, tonight that the Quick Zip would make the transition better to a toddler bed a little better than the UCS, although i think the UCS will work. In DD's full-size bed, we've been using the UCS (we've collected several now at consignment sales) under her top sheet, which serves as another waterproof layer in case she removes her diaper and we don't know about it.

FWIW, we have a Colgate from a friend and found it to be really hard. Have you felt it in person?

zag95
05-20-2009, 12:51 AM
We have the UCS- we've had it in our crib since DD was born- she'll be 16 mos May 29th (OMG!!) We have a standard drop side crib and have never had an issue with her getting caught under the UCS- and she is ALL over her bed! I laugh when I come to check on her because she "travels"!

Why not buy one of each??

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Why not buy one of each??

I think the beauty of them is being able to pop another of the same right on, not having to wait for the soiled one to go through the wash. For us, having multiples is key.

maylips
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
We have the quick zip and you do not have to buy any other sheet than that. We love them, for what it's worth, but we've never used the UCS so have nothing to compare it to. They are still in good enough shape to use through DS's time in the crib coming up, so the quality is high.

DD is two and if she plays in her crib long enough after waking she'll sometimes start unzipping the sheet herself by playing. It's not dangerous either, though (and she never unzips the entire sheet), and actually quite funny - I'm glad it keeps her occupied! But wanted to let you know about that if it matters to you.

mdtweety
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your help and insight. Do you know which stores sell either of these or do I just need to order online? I know Amazon sells them but I would like to see them in person first if possible.

P.S. To the person who asked: No, I haven't felt the colgate mattress. I have been trying to find one in a store so I can feel that too. We bought the mattress b/c it had good reviews and if we decide to get a different one (I wanted to check into organic ones) we can leave this one with my in-laws b/c they will be buying another crib and will need a mattress. I'm OK if with a hard mattress though, since it's better because of SIDS.