PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Maclaren?

ourbabygirl
05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi!

Since I'm new to the whole stroller thing with a 7 month old, I don't know much about different brands, and I'm wondering why it's so hard to find a reasonably priced basic, basic umbrella stroller. I currently have the snap-n-go for our infant seat, but can't use it now that she's in a convertible seat. Also have a Graco travel system one, which I feel is too bulky for me now and barely fits in my small sedan's trunk, so I don't use it anymore. Also have a BOB, which I love, but I want something super-compactable to take into stores without carts instead of having to carry DD. It seems like Maclaren (sp?) is very popular, but why, when it's so pricey? Is there something I can get for around $40 or $50 that's gender-neutral & nicer than a cheapy $20 thing?
Just want to spend wisely :wink2:!

Thanks...

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I see spending wisely as something that will last through more than one child, will not make you curse when you use it, will not cause unnecessary strain on your back when you push it (no hunching over), is versatile enough for public transportation those few times suburbanites go into the city, and will hold kids weight-wise until they are done strollering- even those last few trips to Disney when they are 4.5 and still could enjoy a seat. With all that in mind, I feel like our Triumph (from AlbeeBaby for $140 or was it $114 in 2006?) was a bargain. I don't ever have to "shop" for another lightweight stroller again because this one is lasting really well!

codex57
05-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes, spending nicely doesn't mean buying the cheaper item all the time. My neighbors have discovered this with their double stroller. Sometimes, paying more for the quality item is the "wise" decision.

With a 7 month old, I'd seriously look into the $100-200 range. At least look into the Maclaren Volo which can be had for under $100. A good bit more than $40 though. I think someone said they saw it for $65. I'm not sure how great it'd be for a 7 month old though.

newg
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
chicco makes a pretty decent umbrella for around $60....a basic umbrella though....
Graco has an umbrella as well....around $80 I believe....
Uppa baby has a nice one too...not sure on the price...I know its over $100 though....
We bought a combi......I wanted a five point harness system, the one bar across the top for pushing, taller handles for dh, a stretchy basket for storage, and I like the bar across the front for dd to hang on to (also has a cup holder for dd)....weight limit goes up to 50lbs as well....

We were deciding between this one and the uppa baby.......if its possible take dc and go push some around......that may be the only way to make up your mind!

athompson
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Maclarens are so easy to push, even one handed and I haven't found that with any other compact type stroller. They are also tough as nails and have a very high weight limit. You'll be able to use it for years and then sell it on craigslist to make some of your money back. Can't say that about many stroller brands.

KrisM
05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't know the equivelant these days, but my Chicco Tuscany from 2004 is great. I paid about $70 for it then and have used it for most of 4.5 years. Pushes nicely, holds up, doesn't tip with a bag on it, etc. So, they are out there.

AnnieW625
05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I bought my Maclaren Triumph on ebay new and in box for around $120 (including shipping) so I saved about $20 to $40 on the price of the stroller new at a regular store. I bought the Maclaren when DD was three months old because I was fed up with a used Peg Perego P3 I had been using since DD was born. As soon as she could hold her head up she was in that Mac. We have used our Mac for everything under the sun! The mall, air travel, walks on the beach path (not good for walking on sand though!), public transportation, the mall, the drs; the list is endless! It's easy to stear, easy to collapse, folds down very small, is padded, and att 3 DD still sits in it today! She even sleeps on it when we are Disneyland or a museum if she is tired.

If I were to do it over again I wish I would've spent the extra $100 or so and bought the Techno XT model because it has a full recline, a little bit better padding, and nicer wheels. I would buy another MAC in a heart beat if something happened to my current Triumph.

If you do want a light regular non umbrella style regular stroller then you might also want to check out the Inglesina Zippy. I almost bought one of those, but thought it was too plasticky and preferred that the MAC had zero plastic in it!

lorinick
05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
If you like the Mac's you can get a good deal if you look around. We love our Quest steering is great, it folds easy and small and has weight limit of 55lb and weighs 12lb. For a seven month old I would look at the Quest or Triumph the Volo has no recline at all and at seven months I would still need and want that for my little ones. The Mac's are built well and will last you through more children. The 20-40.00 strollers will not.

arivecchi
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Macs are great because they are super lightweight, well built, stylish and reasonably priced. We use our Triumph a lot and we have 2 other strollers. It is awesome for travel and public transportation. We also use it a lot in the summer because the fabric is lightweight. My toddler also loves it because he can sit super straight in it and see everything. Finally, as pp have said, you can use them for kids up to 4-5 years old.

strollerqueen
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Great quality, terrific fabrics/patterns, lightweight, small fold, and marvelous one-handed steering.

ourbabygirl
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow- I think I'm sold!
Now what color(s) and model year would you suggest? I have a little girl, but I'd rather stay neutral (though I know the pinks are usually cheaper) in case we have a boy in the future. I like the idea of black (or coffee), but worry it'll get too hot with the sun beaming down on it/her in the summers. Valid concern?
Also, is it sufficient to get an '07 or '08, or do you think I should just suck it up and spend more for an '09? Any big differences/ downfalls I should look for in features (recline, buckle, handle height, etc.) between various years? For reference, I'm about 5'2", and my DH is about 6', and our DD is ~ 7.5 months, ~29/30", and ~21 lbs.
Website suggestions for best price? (Shipping time doesn't matter to me.)

Thanks so much!:yay:

arivecchi
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM
If you get a Triumph, get the 07. The canopy tilts all the way forward.

GraceH
05-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I hate to derail the Mac idea - but have you considered the PegPerego Si? It has many of the Mac features, but is slightly heavier - but it has adjustable handles, an awesome sunshade, and it is able to take bags on the handles without tipping...

ourbabygirl
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I have, but thought they might be too expensive and not light/ compact enough. But I'll take another look. It would be cool to see one and try it out in a store; do you know if Babies'R'Us would have one in stock? I guess I can call...

Thanks!

chozen
05-21-2009, 10:18 AM
someone on the board posted it and i checked it out. reviews are great and $140.00 for it is a real bargain. it should arrive in a couple of days so we will see. :D

AnnieW625
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I really love my Maclaren Triumph that we bought when DD was three months old and I was tired of a hand me down Peg Perego P3. Like others have said it is a little tippy, but if that's really the worst thing about the stroller I am still sold. It's light, compact, non plasticky, and does great on the plane and other modes of public transportation. DD at 3 still sleeps in her Triumph and also doesn't have a problem sitting in it. If I were to do it all over again I think I'd get the Techno XT or XLR because of the full recline. I also love the tilting sun shade on it, but if you end up with a newer 2009 model that doesn't tilt you can always get a sun shade extender.

ETA: Babies R Us stocks things based on demographics a lot so unless you live in a very upper crust area I doubt you'll be able to find a Si in stock. When I was looking at strollers in 2006 and earlier this year they had a few Peg Perego Arias in stock and an open box 2008 P3 for sale, but no other Peg strollers. This was in the upper middle class area of Irvine, CA too, that also stocks Bugaboo. I'd definitely call first, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are limited to what Peg strollers they keep in stock.

ourbabygirl
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks! I checked online and it looked like all the 'Si's at BRU were online only. There are some smaller baby shops around that I can try to find it in. One is USA Baby, which has nicer stuff. They do have Pegs and Chicco and others, but surprisingly no Maclaren! Since it's just up the road from one of our BRU, I'm going to stop in with DD and check out what they have (they list the Si online, but I'll call to see if they have one on the floor).

codex57
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
No Maclarens? My Target has a Maclaren.

Be careful. You have to research each specific model to see what the changes were each year. I really only pay attention to the Quest, and for that you want 2008 or newer if possible.

Snow mom
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
No Maclarens? My Target has a Maclaren.

Be careful. You have to research each specific model to see what the changes were each year. I really only pay attention to the Quest, and for that you want 2008 or newer if possible.

Why 2008 or newer? I thought the older models had the swivel sunshade. What changes make the newer ones better?

AnnieW625
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere here a few months back that someone had emailed Maclaren about the swivel sun shade and they said that it still came on the 2008 models, but there were issues with the side snaps (which aren't on my Triumph, but is on the Techno series) so they stopped putting them on it in 2009 and made the sunshade not swivel.

codex57
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I like the fabric a lot better and it came with a carrying strap.

Triumph had the strap earlier.

arivecchi
05-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I like the fabric a lot better and it came with a carrying strap.

Triumph had the strap earlier.
Yes. My 07 Triumph has the carrying strap and the swivel sunshade.

BabiMama
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshalls nearby, call or visit to see if they have any 2008 Maclarens in stock - I found a Volo for $99 and a Quest for $150 at my local store, and others have posted similar finds on here as well.

meme9300
05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
The 2008's quests don't have the swivel canopy. I was the one that called. The 2009's don't either. For the swivel canopy with snaps you'll have to get and 07...

MmeSunny
05-23-2009, 08:27 PM
The 2008's quests don't have the swivel canopy. I was the one that called. The 2009's don't either. For the swivel canopy with snaps you'll have to get and 07...

That may be Mac's official line, but I have an '08 Quest with a DOM of 2/08 and the canopy comes all the way forward/tilts to cover DD when napping. Mine is a Sport--black and lime FWIW.

I think it depends on the "line" Mod vs. Sport and the fabric or on the specific plant where the stroller was made.

reissgirl
05-23-2009, 10:20 PM
My '08 Triumph (Turkish Blue from Albee Baby) has the swivel canopy.

KBecks
05-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Yes, spending nicely doesn't mean buying the cheaper item all the time. My neighbors have discovered this with their double stroller. Sometimes, paying more for the quality item is the "wise" decision.

With a 7 month old, I'd seriously look into the $100-200 range. At least look into the Maclaren Volo which can be had for under $100. A good bit more than $40 though. I think someone said they saw it for $65. I'm not sure how great it'd be for a 7 month old though.

I've taken our babe in the Volo but only for short outings. It's not that comfortable looking, but he did fine for short trips.

mrsvt0
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Maclarens are so easy to push, even one handed and I haven't found that with any other compact type stroller. They are also tough as nails and have a very high weight limit. You'll be able to use it for years and then sell it on craigslist to make some of your money back. Can't say that about many stroller brands.

Agree Macs are tough in terms of fabric and frame but forget about the tires... at least for the Quest model (even my Snap and Go handled it better!)

AnnieW625
05-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Love the carrying strap on my Triumph (don't have to use it much for the long haul, but it's great for picking up and putting in the car)

mrsvt0
05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I had a 2008 Quest and the canopy didn't swivel. Check before buying because even a 2008 may not have the carrying strap or the one quick release button harness - which are some of the new features.

WatchingThemGrow
05-28-2009, 07:24 PM
The Quests at my BRU this week did not have a carrying strap - none of the 3 they had in stock. The Triumph did. I would really miss that strap- especially for collapsing the stroller!