PDA

View Full Version : What age for Harry Potter?

KrisM
05-20-2009, 08:47 AM
I've read the books and I saw them on CD at the library the other day. It made me wonder if he was old enough for them. He just turned 5 and is really enjoying the longer books as read alouds. He's done My Father's Dragon, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, and similar books.

If he's old enough, I'm thinking it should be a read aloud, rather than on CD, so there can be discussion if needed.

What do you think?

fivi2
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
well, my girls aren't 5 yet, so I could be wrong, but I would hold off a year or two personally. The first book is fairly tame (although I do think there are things that could bother some kids in it) but they get pretty dark pretty quickly, imo. I don't think you'd want a 6 or 7 year old reading about the dementors and such... But I could be way off since my girls are only 3 and terrified of everything!

SnuggleBuggles
05-20-2009, 02:41 PM
We tried when he was 5 but never got past the 1st chapter of book one because there was a lot of description and very little action. He was bored. Content wise, I think 5 would be fine. You can pace yourself when it gets to the later books in the series.

Beth

brittone2
05-20-2009, 06:28 PM
My DS loves chapter books and is 5 as well, but I'm holding off on H.P. for now. He can handle some pretty complex language while still paying attention (like Wind in the Willows) but I think he'll enjoy it a lot more down the road.

I know the first one is more tame, and I haven't read them myself (I want to read them with DS for the first time), but I still think it might be a little intense for him just yet.

I have been picking up the books 2nd hand as I find them, and he has begged me to read them more than once now. I keep stalling :)

Eta: I'll be anxious to read other responses to your post, so thanks for starting it.

egoldber
05-20-2009, 06:43 PM
The first book is very tame. But I think the average 5 year old may find it too long to really get into on tape/CD. I think it would be OK as a read aloud. Also many of the "jokes" are visual language oriented and would be missed by a non-reader.

codex57
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
yeah, I'd hold off too for now.

sadie427
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
My 5 year old (5 1/2, August Bday) is loving HP, we have been reading them aloud and are almost done w/ the second book. He probably misses some, but gets most of it and loves doing it. We just do a few pages a night.

Melbel
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
DH started reading HP to DS when he was 7. Although DS was advanced enough in reading to do so on his own, we thought that it would be better to have DH available for discussion. Both DS and DD1 really enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a read aloud.

KrisM
05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks. I think we'll wait until at least later this year.

He's not scared by much, so it should be okay for him.

mommylamb
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I think it totally depends on the kid and whether he has the attention span for a book like that. By the time I was 5 my father had read me Watership Down, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit...

sste
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Avoid the last book. I am not old enough for the last book!! She created a lovely magical world and then slaughtered 1/2 of these beloved characters off in the last book.

MamaMolly
05-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Just chiming in to mention that (as a teacher) I had a first grader that could read/comprehend HP but even the first book was WAY too scary for her. What about some EB White like The Trumpet of the Swan. The first few chapters are a bit slow but it gets really good as you go along. It was one of the read alouds I always did. I also loved Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. They are silly and not as scary as Matilda, for example. And the language and imagery in them are really fun.

I also loved to have the boys in my class read My Side of the Mountain. IIWY I'd read it furst to just check for content.

It seemed like there was all kinds of rich literature geared to girls and Captain Underpants for boys. Grrrrr!

SnuggleBuggles
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
One of the 7yos in ds1's 1st grade class today was reading the 5th HP today. I think it totally depends on the kid.

Beth

hilladub
05-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree that the issue is less about the language comprehension/development of the child and more about their emotional maturity to handle the themes, intensity, and violence. I absolutely love this series, but even I found myself frightened at times (particularly with the later books) as my overactive imagination re-visited specific scenes well after I stopped reading.

If you think your child is ready, then perhaps you could do a test-run with something like Roald Dahl's "The Witches", which includes the themes of witchcraft and children in danger, etc. Or if they're really interested/asking for Harry Potter in particular you could also have fun with the characters of the series through sticker books/other HP merchandising without actually reading the books until they're older.

egoldber
05-22-2009, 06:57 AM
What about some EB White like The Trumpet of the Swan.

This is why it is so kid dependent. My older DD handles "fantasy violence" like HP just fine. But the emotional intensity of things by EB White, Roald Dahl, heck even some American Girl books (!!!) leaves her sobbing.

The violence in HP wouldn't bother her, but the pain of Harry being left an orphan would be hard for her I think.

Melaine
05-22-2009, 07:13 AM
I also loved to have the boys in my class read My Side of the Mountain. IIWY I'd read it furst to just check for content.

That was a great book!!!