PDA

View Full Version : How did you stay comfortable later in your twin pg?

Momof3Labs
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Looking for any suggestions here! I feel like someone is sitting on my chest all the time - I get winded so easily. Laying down is the worst, that's when I really get winded (go figure). I've been able to keep my SPD well under control by wearing a very snug bella-type band when I'm up and about. I'm about as big as when I delivered the boys but know that the worst has yet to come (both my size and the heat) - any good tips??

Part of my discomfort is because baby B is sorta transverse - at its worst, her head is top center of my uterus (basically on my diaphragm), her upper back/shoulder is on my right rib cage and she wraps down and around my right side (her kicks hit my bowels - fun). Baby A is in a perfect little vertex position and doesn't bother me much, so I guess that it could be worse!

On the upside, the girls are doing well! They are consistently measuring within an ounce or so of each other, heartrates are good, and such. Mama just needs some help getting more comfy to keep cooking them until THEY are ready to be done!

TIA!!!

ETA: The heartburn! Tums just aren't cutting it. I see the dr next Weds so will ask for other remedies, but curious what has worked for other twin moms.

BeachBum
05-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I can commiserate, but have no advice to offer. It is just hard!

fivi2
05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry you are so miserable! I delivered early, so missed the HUGE stage (I don't recommend that method :) ), but I was uncomfortable enough. I sat around a lot in my recliner - that was the only place I was comfy.

I did have awful heartburn. I started taking zantac or one of the other meds (I can't remember exactly which one) on my dr's advice. It helped some.

Good luck!

Melaine
05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I wonder if these would work for the heartburn:
http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?c=116
I love the amber necklaces, so I would probably get one if we got pregnant again. The heartburn really was almost constant and I remember being so mad at the nurse when I was in early labor at the hospital for refusing to bring me TUMS. (something about had to ask my Dr....whatever!)
As far as being comfortable....it is ROUGH. I delivered 6 weeks early and I really can't fathom going full-term. I just thought I was going to die. Sorry, this really isn't sounding encouraging, is it? I also think I would totally invest in a pregnancy pillow.
Do you have somewhere to swim? It is SO awesome to cool off and relax that way! Hope things get better, glad the girls are doing good!

AJP
05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Twins!!!! How exciting! I delivered my twin girls last August at 38 weeks, and wanted to lol b/c my baby A&B were in the exact places as yours! I will be honest and tell you it will get rough if you get to full term. My girls were 6lbs 8oz & 6lbs 11oz so I was HUGE! I also developed a wonderful case of undiagnosed PUPPPs. I would second the suggestion to swim and get as much help as you can for your older boys if your summers tend to be HOT. This way if you are tired and not feeling well they can go out and have fun and you can stay in and cool off. I remember spending lots of time on the bed (with like 9 pillows) and on the couch during the end of my pg. I was on semi bedrest and couldn't do too much outside of the house. I hated being told what I could & couldn't do. What helped me in the bed was to throw all the pillows on the bed like I was making it and then climb up there and lean (on my left side) onto the big pile of them....just kinda flop onto your side. NOT arranging them worked for me and gave me support behind me and under my belly and propped me up for tv! Sounds very stupid now that I see it typed out, but I swear it worked! I used to also keep a big insulated plastic cup full of ice & water next to my bed...I woke up so thirsty and having it there and cold was perfect. I took a lot of baths in the end when it was so hot out & I wouldn't dare venture to a beach. We have a huge jetted tub and I'd do a luke warm whirlpool or bubble bath. My DH found me asleep there on more than one occasion.
As for the heartburn, sorry have no advice there. Please feel free to ask anything you need help with here! Good luck with your twins!

mamaoftwins
05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Sorry have to be brief ...

For the heartburn, Pepcid AC kept it under control for me, but it didn't go away entirely ... until I delivered. ;)

Laying on my side helped to keep me comfy, with a body pillow in front, and a pillow behind my back. DH didn't love this setup though, and it hurt my hip after awhile.

So glad the girls are growing nicely. Hope you can find a way to be comfy! The last part of the preg is the worst, especially when it's during the hot weather. :hug:

mikeys_mom
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I wish I could offer some great advice, but the last trimester just sucks! I felt huge and uncomfortable and could not believe that I still had many weeks left.

I found that lying on my side on the couch helped, but I had to keep switching sides or my hips would get too sore. During the day at work, I tried to keep my feet up as much as possible because I found it easier on my back. At night I used a body pillow in front, another one or two behind my back and usually another extra between my feet. Of course, as soon as I got comfy in bed, I had to go pee and start the process all over again...

Yeah, I had terrible heartburn, much worse than with my other pregnancies. I took lots of Tums which kept it bearable but it never really went away.

No advice on dealing with the heat as I was pregnant during the winter and kept the window open in -30C temps. DH learned to sleep with an extra blanket so he wouldn't shiver too much.

Good luck!

dowlinal
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I hit 36 weeks today and it's gotten really tough. I have been living in sundresses and they seem to help with the heat. I think part of it is that it's nice to not have anything extra across my belly. Old navy seems to have a lot of them and they run frequent sales. I also turn the AC as soon as I start to feel warm in the house because I can't tolerate the heat at all.

Up until a few days ago, my pregnancy pillow kept me really comfortable at night. I have one shaped like a big C so it supports your hips and belly. At this point, I don't think anything could make me comfortable. I have noticed that napping in a recliner is now much better than lying on the couch.

Strangely, my boys are positioned similarly to your girls, but it's the vertex one that's killing me. He is now so low that he makes my pelvis ache and I swear it sometimes feels like he's trying to claw his way out.

Melaine
05-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Strangely, my boys are positioned similarly to your girls, but it's the vertex one that's killing me. He is now so low that he makes my pelvis ache and I swear it sometimes feels like he's trying to claw his way out.

I remember having dreams about that....that one of them would kick me so hard their foot would bust through my stomach!

dowlinal
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I remember having dreams about that....that one of them would kick me so hard their foot would bust through my stomach!

LOL I've had that dream too! I had no idea that my belly would feel so bruised from all all the stretching and kicking. My weekly ultrasounds have become painful because it just hurts to have anything touch my stomach.

NN317
05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
For heartburn, the only way I could get immediate relief was to drink a glass of milk or the Yobaby drinkable yogurt. I had Pepcid AC in pill form, which would work the rest of the night after that.
As for getting comfortable, I tried everything I could think of while getting to 37w1d, and the only thing that truly worked for me was birth. :D

hobie
06-12-2009, 03:17 PM
My twins were in the exact same position as yours! I deliverd at 36 weeks.

Anyways, I loved, LOVED my maternity pillow from The Company Store. It's the one that looks like 2 pillows connected in the middle like a butterfly. It's a bit $, but so worth it! The design is great, since the pillows are hooked together, they can't escape, so they give really good support.

It also helped to give B's butt a firm push to get him out of my rib cage! Of course, he would just wiggle right back in, sigh...