PDA

View Full Version : vasectomy vs. tubal ligation: pros/cons?

Melarina
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Thinking about options after DS is born; pretty sure we want to stop with 2. (my age, finances, various physical reasons, etc)

Advice? TIA!

lorinick
05-20-2009, 01:11 PM
It's much easier and less risky for a man. Me and dh have this same situation he doesn't want to do it. So he's not and I'm not willing to under go surg. For a man it's an in and out proc. I carrier and gave birth it's the least he could do.

craftysierra
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
For us since I has a scheduled c-section we chose tubal since they were there anyway. If I had given birth vaginally it would have been my DH's turn.

Sierra

jse107
05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I already did the pain, ice, and soreness part--TWICE. It was his turn and he happily agreed.

In and out, little down time. Unfortunately, now DH thinks that it's all a sport now since there are no repurcusions!

sariana
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
We're planning to do both, but neither of us has made much progress. I wanted to do it when I had my c-section, but the doctor refused. (I tried to arrange it ahead of time. I could totally understand that they wouldn't do something like that on the spot.)

Ironically, we both say we want to do it, and neither of us wants to other to do it. I want to do it because I can't carry to term and don't want to risk having another preemie. He wants to do it because he says he absolutely does not want any more children.

A little tiny part of me, though, is still disappointed every time AF arrives.

jerseygirl07067
05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I had the same question a few weeks back and did a board search of older posts. I opted not to do it, even though I was having a c-section.

From what I've read, it's less risky for a man, with less potential for any long term effects. Also, if there is any doubt whatsoever in your mind, I would NOT get your tubes tied. (that was my issue, I can't say never again!) I know one person who did, and she regretted it. I also have another friend who almost got it done because she was positive she never wanted to go through another pregnancy again, hs a history of tough pregnancies, and after her baby came, she has changed her mind, and now wants another one.

You never know...your financial situation could change, or you may just change your mind in time. If you're completely sure....then your DH can always get it done down the road.

Just my .02!

Octobermommy
05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
If you are "pretty sure" I would get an IUD. They are more effective than a tubal at preventing pregnancy. Also, just want to add, it is not a sure thing for a man to have his vasectomy reversed. Unfortunately too many people have thought this and then been very disappointed when the reversal didn't work.

Melarina
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Wow, thanks for this helpful advice, everyone! Obviously I didn't know much about either option when I posed the question.

Sounds like IUD would be a better route than a tubal; I suspect DH will resist vasectomy.

Thanks again for the perspectives!

bubbaray
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, in theory, we're going for the vasectomy. Of course, DH has cancelled the procedure THREE times now!

SpaceGal
05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
We're thinking about our options too. I think we're done at three but just feel "young" still and don't feel ready to "never have another". In the meantime, the OB told me about essure, birth control pills, minera, and this other one I can't remember the name of.

My DH's cousins had a vasectomy done after his son was born...it was a rough situation at first and their son was an "oops" baby...his wife was having post partum and well like I said not a great situation. He somehow convince a doctor to do a vasectomy when his son was two months old...now he regrets it and always talks about how he wish he could have another. I guess whatever choice you make it's a tough one. Of course he shared his vasectomy experience with DH and now DH is scared to do it.