PDA

View Full Version : LOVED Sookie Stackhouse-any more recs??

frgsnlzrds
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I just flew through all the Sookie Stackhouse books, loved them! Sexy vampires, action, love story, mystery, the works. Anyone have any more recommendations? Thanks!

Raidra
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
My husband is reading the Anita Blake vampire books.. I think they're by Linda(?) Hamilton. They're supposed to be very erotic, but he says it's more like horror, that there's no sex until the end of the sixth book. Given that he's now reading the seventh book, I'd say he likes them well enough. :) I haven't read them, though.

gatorsmom
05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
You probably have seen this if you've passed by a Barnes and Noble lately but a new Sookie Stackhouse book just came out, Dead and Gone, I think is the title. It just came out in hardcover 2 weeks ago. It's really good!

Also, HBO has a series named Trueblood based on the Sookie Stackhouse books. There is already one season out (it was out last fall) and the second season should be premiering on HBO in June. They are very much like the books, however, Alan Ball (Creator of Six Feet Under) has changed the TV series just alittle bit so you never know what to expect. I'm going on and on- can you tell I'm excited about it? He has done a great job casting the roles of Sookie's brother Jason, her boss Sam, Vampire Bill and Eric Northman. just an fyi.

NN317
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I also enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series. You could try the Kim Harrison series, The Hollows/Rachel Morgan books. I really like them as well.
The Anita Blake novels by Laurell K. Hamilton are good, but are extremely erotic to the point of little story progression in over half of the latest books in the series. Depending on your tastes, that could be good or bad. ;) There are campier romance ones, like MaryJanice Davidson's Undead Betsy series, that read like chick lit.
Almost every other vampire series geared towards adults has more of a carnal aspect than the Sookie books, in my experience at least.

NN317
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh, and the book Sunshine by Robin McKinley is great, though not a series (I wish it was though).

Toba
05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I am in LOVE with the Sookie series (as well as True Blood). OT, but I started watching the series before getting the first book (maybe three episodes into it) and I am totally a Vampire Bill girl in the series. But the books, oh the books .... I still love Vampire Bill, but Vampire Eric does it for me there. Granted, the TV show hasn't gotten that far into the books yet (they're supposed to be doing a book a season), so there's still time to change my mind again. LOL And they stayed pretty true in the first few episodes, then strayed a bit ... now Alan Ball has admitted that the series will be pretty different. I'm counting the days until June 14th. Just bought the DVD series to watch with my SIL who doesn't have HBO up in Maine this weekend.

I bought the Twilight movie but haven't watched it. I also was given the first two books in the series and read a chapter or two of the first book (trying to save it for the car trip). I don't think it's going to be as sexy as the Sookie series though.

Definitely going to check out the Anita Blake series! Thanks for the suggestions and to the OP for the thread!

frgsnlzrds
05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks all! I put Sunshine and Dead Witch Walking on my list. I'll look for some McKinney books, too. And I just bought True Blood on Amazon so I can't wait for it to get here.

And for the record, I am totally on Vampire Bill's side. I mean Eric's got his ... perks ;), but I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm pretty unsatisfied with where the 9th book ends and wish I didn't have to wait for the next one. Eric's got some explaining to do!

Toba
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't really spoil anything, but brought up things that happen in the later series and books .....

Oooh, I sooo want to chat about Vampire Bill .... in one of the latest books where the Bellfleur wedding happened and the two little "scenes" between Sookie and Bill. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so i'll stop there. But, definitely ... thump, thump.

Also, OT again, I'm curious what they're going to do with Eric on TB. He *definitely* becomes a MUCH more prevalent character in the later books. But Stephen Moyer (Vampire Bill) is the star and Alan Ball has been interviewed saying that his favorite character is Bill and he identifies with him much more than Eric. So it will definitely be interesting to see where they head.

The big question in my mind on June 14th .... LAFAYETTE!!! He was hardly in the book at all (not really) but he is my second favorite character on TB (Bill being the first, of course). (And I've seen interviews that allude to a big change in the way the book goes for him)

I was a little disappointed in the 9th book. Not enough .... anything. It's almost like the author rushed it to reach a deadline. Sookie and Eric need to talk, need to talk, need to talk ... never talk. The whole book. And there was definitely not enough Bill in it at all. But I'm wondering if his big "secret" he revealed (under Eric's orders) was really true or another one of Eric's manipulations. Don't know. And where was PAM?? What was there, like three scenes with her in it? She's AWESOME!

Sorry, little obsessed about Sookie's world. ;)

gatorsmom
05-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks all! I put Sunshine and Dead Witch Walking on my list. I'll look for some McKinney books, too. And I just bought True Blood on Amazon so I can't wait for it to get here.

And for the record, I am totally on Vampire Bill's side. I mean Eric's got his ... perks ;), but I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm pretty unsatisfied with where the 9th book ends and wish I didn't have to wait for the next one. Eric's got some explaining to do!

Did you know that on the HBO website, there are Trueblood message boards and people have chosen either to be "Team Bill" or "Team Eric" (ask me how I know :rolleyes:)?

If you are Team Bill, you will LOVE the first season of Trueblood. It is much more romantic than the books. For the record, after reading the books, I am VERY Team Eric. The whole amnesia/witch spell turned me into an Eric fan. :love-retry:

kransden
05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Here is a list of some my paranormal favs. A lot recently have been about shape shifters, I am not sure why. These are all series. Some books are excellent, others not so much. Except for Twilight and Enchanted, which are suitable for teens, the others are for mature reading. shape shifters -ss vampires-vp magic-mg

Dirk & Steele Novels by Marjorie M. Liu -ss, fast paced, action oriented books
Dark Hunter Novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon -vp, ss Very good overall
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer - vp, ss
Sazi Series by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp -ss
A Kiss of Fate and Stolen Magic by Mary Jo Putney (the rest are debateable) -mg
Undead Series (Queen Betsy) by MaryJanice Davidson vp, ss (summer beach candy :))
Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson -mg (1 & 2 are good, 3 is horrible, 4 is ok)

I also enjoyed Charlaine Harris's Lily Bard mystery/crime novels.
Here is a link for Amazon's paranormal romance authors:
http://www.amazon.com/tag/paranormal%20romance/forum/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2BDELE76KKFOT&cdThread=Tx3D9D6SOWJBDRW&displayType=tagsDetail

mommylamb
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I I am totally a Vampire Bill girl in the series. But the books, oh the books .... I still love Vampire Bill, but Vampire Eric does it for me there.

No way, it's all about Quinn....

Melaine
05-21-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm Team Eric. I was intrigued by Quinn, but I really dislike Bill. Ugh. I loved all the books although I read some of them out of order due to when the library had them available and the titles confuse me but I am ALMOST sure I read them all....lol

I started reading some of Charlaine Harris' older books and I REALLY like some of them too! The Lily Bard series is excellent, less sexy than vampire ones, but excellent storylines and you don't want to put them down:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lily+bard+series&x=0&y=0&sprefix=lily+bard
I also really REALLY like A Secret Rage, but it is just a single book rather than a series (sadly).
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Rage-Charlaine-Harris/dp/0425214532/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242911770&sr=8-22
And I LOVE the Twilight series and the movie. :-)

frgsnlzrds
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
I was a little disappointed in the 9th book. Not enough .... anything. It's almost like the author rushed it to reach a deadline. Sookie and Eric need to talk, need to talk, need to talk ... never talk. The whole book. And there was definitely not enough Bill in it at all. But I'm wondering if his big "secret" he revealed (under Eric's orders) was really true or another one of Eric's manipulations. Don't know. And where was PAM?? What was there, like three scenes with her in it? She's AWESOME!

That's what I thought too. There should have been an epilogue or something, it didn't feel like it had a right ending. And I don't remember what two scenes you mentioned. I remember one, at the wedding... Honestly, I neglected my kids and my housework and read a book a day for a week and a half. So I probably need to go back and read them more slowly! And Pam has been one of my faves ever since the incident with Felicia. :-)

fivi2
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
not to be a spoilsport... but can the sookie spoilers go in a different thread? I clicked to see recs for other books, but haven't finished all the sookies yet :)

Thanks!

frgsnlzrds
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
not to be a spoilsport... but can the sookie spoilers go in a different thread? I clicked to see recs for other books, but haven't finished all the sookies yet :)

Thanks!

Sorry! I think someone should start a Bill/Eric/Quinn/Sam poll. (No one's mentioned Sam yet!)

MaryJanice Davidson and A Secret Rage went on my list. Thanks! :-)

fivi2
05-21-2009, 10:18 AM
There is a site (something about smart b!tches, trashy books) that normally reviews romance novels. Anyway, there is a big discussion of urban fantasy from a while back. If you dig through the article and comments, you can find several author suggestions:
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/the_surge_of_urban_fantasy/#com

Although slightly different from the sookie books, I loved Emma Bull's War for the Oaks.

Also enjoyed Holly Black's Faerie trilogy (YA)

Octavia Butler's Fledgling

I couldn't get into Kim Harrison, but she is popular.

Ilona Andrews has a series starting with Magic Bites that is okay...

I will be checking out some of the others!