PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Ikea Expedit bookshelf?

zephyr
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
For those of you who have this bookshelf, would it be a good purchase for our playroom? I am thinking of storing books and toys on it, since we have no toy storage yet. I have never been to Ikea, because there actually aren't any in my state. How's the quality, would it be okay in a playroom? Also how dark is the black-brown color? It looks totally black to me, from the website photo. If you wouldn't recommend it, is there anything else out there that's similar in structure to the Expedit? Here's the link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675. TIA!

alirebco
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
We have it and love it. We actually only have the 2x4 one but we laid it on the long side and it works great for toys. We have the black brown and it looks black. I'm going to try and upload a pic so you can see how it looks.

zephyr
05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Alirebco, thanks for the photo it looks great! That's exactly how I was planning to store the toys and books, also getting baskets for the bottom shelves. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your baskets?

gobadgers
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
We have the 5x5 brown-black one in our main room (which is also the playroom in our small condo...). We use the bottom two rows as toy storage and the top three for our stuff and display. We love it! It is a chore to put together but once you've got its pretty sturdy and solid. The brown-black color has a very slight wood-grain pattern to it that you can really only see up close. It is very dark.

alirebco
05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I just realized how brown it looks like in that photo. I got those baskets at Ikea - they fit perfectly and I didn't want plastic ones since it is in a main area.

zephyr
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the replies! Now I just have to figure out what color to get. I'm also thinking Dh would love the bigger 5x5 one in his office for storage. Actually I think I would also love one for my craft room! Getting tons of ideas here....

jerigirl
05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
search the board. there are several threads on the Expedit with photos in them.

daniele_ut
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Yes, you should buy one! We love ours and I plan to buy a 2x4 on Saturday to tame to overflow in our living room. When we get our family room finished in the basement we'll get a 5x5 for there. This one is in DS's room:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Murray%20house/DSC02346.jpg

The baskets are from Ikea and they are called Knipsa.

infomama
05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
We have the 5x5 in the room adjacent to the playroom. We bought the lighter color only because I thought the dark color would show dust more. We use the bottom two rows for toys and use a combo of Target fabric bins and some wicker baskets from Ikea. Works awesome. DH anchored it to the wall with L brackets so it is solid solid solid. We really love it and it holds an amazing amount of "stuff".
Check out this Flicker Expedit link. http://www.flickr.com/groups/expedit/

benkatmama
05-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Ikea has the 2x4 on sale this weekend for only $49 :cheerleader1:
I believe the sale is Sat-Mon but you may want to double check.

JTsMom
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
We love ours too- we have the 5X5 in white.

MizMojoLaveau
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Has anyone laid the 2 x 4 on its side AND used the casters? is it possible?

brittone2
05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
We have two 5x5 units. Love them. We have the Branas (Barnas?) baskets.

Mermanaid
05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Go for it! We have a 5x5 white one in the playroom and love it. Bought the branas baskets @ IKEA to go with it. I've attached a pic (please ignore the unfinished casement ... we were still remodeling at the time the pic was taken).

I am thinking about going to get one for DS's room since it's such a good price.

MissM'sMom
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a 2x4 one in the light maple for my craft stuff, and it's great. Very solid, and I have no fear of it falling over. Ikea also has individual two-drawer units and cabinet units that you can fit into the shelves. They are good for messy people like me that need to hide things.

zephyr
05-24-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm really glad this bookshelf got great reviews from you guys. Danielle, your ds's room looks great! (and so organized) Our playroom is also painted that light tan color and has a very similar rug. So I'm thinking the black one will match. Mermanaid- great playroom you have there, it looks like the bookshelf can hold a ton of stuff!

mykidsmom
06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Anyone know if the Pottery Barn Large Sabrina baskets will fit in the openings?