PDA

View Full Version : Graco PNP -- quilted bumper/mattress?

sweet_pea
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I'm shopping for a Graco pack n play and was considering this basic model at BRU: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2786140&CAWELAID=107527954

Then, I saw this one on sale for the same price: http://www.albeebaby.com/grpanplpl94i1.html

The second one obviously has the changer and the mobile, which the first doesn't, but those features are optional for us. However, the description for the second one also says it has a quilted mattress pad and quilted bumper.

So, I'm wondering:

Is this quilted bumper on the second model attached permanently? How well is it attached? Or is it removable? I know there are some concerns about using crib bumpers, but have no idea if this is at all the same scenario.

Secondly, does the quilted mattress pad make a difference? The bassinet on the basic model pretty much feels like cardboard. Or have you used something to add more padding to the basic model's bassinet?

I'm tempted to get the second model although I'm a little hesitant to order something online that I haven't seen in person. I'd appreciate any thoughts from people who have used these products. Thanks so much!

srkaplan
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I've never seen this model before (with a bumper), but I like it! We have a PNP and got the quilted sheet for it because I think it is much more cushy & softer than the standard sheet it comes with. Like you said, it feels like cardboard!

For our house, the changing table part is a must & although we don't have a mobile on ours, it would have been nice to have.

sweet_pea
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
We have a PNP and got the quilted sheet for it because I think it is much more cushy & softer than the standard sheet it comes with. Like you said, it feels like cardboard!

Thanks, Suzanne. I agree that the model with the quilted bassinet/quilted bumper is probably more comfortable.

I'm still wondering about whether this bumper is safe -- if it's something that can become unattached like a crib bumper. E-mailed Graco...we'll see if they answer.

bigpassport
05-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Sweet Pea--Please let us know what Graco says (btw I emailed them about a question recently and got a very prompt response). I myself am going back and forth between the Kensley PNP which doesn't have a bumper and the Mondo PNP which does have a bumper. Does the air circulation of just mesh decrease the possibility of SIDS? Are there benefits to the bumpers (if the baby is less than 15 lbs, does baby actually come into contact with the sides of the PNP) or are the bumpers just for looks?

sweet_pea
05-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Sweet Pea--Please let us know what Graco says

Well, I got an e-mail response back from Graco and they say the bumper is attached, not removable.

I'm thinking that means the bumper is probably safe, but it might be harder to clean since it cannot be removed from the playard.

Malloryn
06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I've never seen that model either! It seems like a great price too, considering the number of extra features. I was considering some of the Chicco models as well because of how the mattress felt.

RMessinger
06-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I recently went into a store to see what these bumpers were all about. The bassinet clips/snaps onto the top of the PNP, and what hangs down on the inside is the "quilted" bumper or side and there's mesh at the bottom of the side for a few inches above the floor of the bassinet. It seems that the mesh would solve the circulating air problem. The bottom of it seemed comfortable enough, but was by no means plush or extremely cushiony. I think we're going with one of the PNPs with that bassinet feature.

The site you mentioned with the sale, albeebaby, do you know how reputable it is? I see lots of great stuff, but wanted to find out first.