PDA

View Full Version : I think my baby is insane! WTF is this???

ha98ed14
05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Pardon my french, but I am so frusrated with DD. She is SO whiney these days. This morning, she won't eat what I gave her for breakfast, asks for something else and then doesn't want it. It cries real tears for me to take it away, holding it up and offering it to me, al the while crying and begging like I am WITHOLDING the food. But as soon as I take it away, she SCREAMS for me to give it back. OMG! I am going to effing loose my freaking mind! TODDLER: FREE TO A GOOD HOME!!! AAArrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubbaray
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Welcome to my world. Thankfully, my girls will eat a good lunch at daycare, otherwise I swear they would starve. They won't eat at home. I can serve them the EXACT thing I send to daycare and they won't eat it here.

I dunno. We are starting to play hardball with them. Once you leave the table, no snacks. The next meal is when it is, not 15 minutes after you leave the table.

mommylamb
05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm there with you (I think ours are about the same age). It's the beginning of the exerting their independence time I think. Mine has decided he will only wear yellow. If I put him in anything else he throws a huge fit and pulls the shirt away from his body like it's burning him (these are cotton t-shirts he has worn before that have been washed) then he'll pull at the neck, which stretches them out, all the while yelling "yellow yellow yellow" until I let him wear a yellow top. We only have 3 yellow tops!!!!

g-mama
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the world of toddlers. You said "my baby is insane." Thing is, she's not a baby anymore and she's expressing her opinions. She's not insane, she's just changing. And it can be painful for all involved. BTDT - three times around. It is a phase.

lorinick
05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Toddlers there are annoying. I say it at least a few times a week. I've never been a huge fan of toddler's likely why there is such an age gap between my kids. But I stil love mine, maybe not like all the time.

MontrealMum
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM
We seem to be entering this phase too and it SUCKS! Feeding time around here is a nightmare. Like Melissa, if he weren't in daycare I think he might starve - OK, not really, but this week he's living on olives and Farley's cookies. Together. Yuck. At least the Farley's are *actually* cereal and fortified. We are also dealing with an obsession w/his new orange Addidas - my fault, I picked them out. I thought they were cute. Didn't think he'd want to wear them constantly - orange is not a neutral color!

Momof3Labs
05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the world of toddlers. You said "my baby is insane." Thing is, she's not a baby anymore and she's expressing her opinions. She's not insane, she's just changing. And it can be painful for all involved. BTDT - three times around. It is a phase.

Yep. And as soon as you get this phase figured out, she'll change it on you.

niccig
05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Yep, it sucks. I ended up playing hardball. I normally give DS 3 options for breakfast. He chooses, and then if changes mind, I don't make anything else. He doesn't get to choose dinner, you eat what you have and if you don't eat then that's your choice, but I'm not a short order cook. There were some tears and some missed meals, but he didnt' starve.

Give her options where you can and let her have control over some things. I don't care if DS wears mismatched socks, snow boots and short/shirt that do not match. He is dressed. Some friends do care about the clothes, so they let their children have choice over something else. For me, he's been dressing himself since before 3, and it's one less thing for me to fight over in the morning when we're in a rush.

egoldber
05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Yep. And as soon as you get this phase figured out, she'll change it on you.

:yeahthat:

Sarah was an easy toddler, but Amy. Yowza..... The constant refrain I hear is "No Mommy no!!! Go away! Amy DO!!!!!"

HIU8
05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
This morning I got DD dressed. She didn't like the outfit--actually told me she didn't like and I proceeded to take it off. She did this with 3 outfits. I finally told her that she had a choice between 2 or she goes naked. She chose one finally. She also refuses to ride in her stroller, grocery cart etc...she wants to walk everywhere and runs away from me laughing. Today I had to literally wrestle her into her stroller and strap her in (where we were it was not safe for her to be walking). Lately she has started to really exert her independence (which is good I know, but man is it tiring).

justincase
05-22-2009, 08:10 AM
I wish I had something hopeful to say, except that I could have written this exact post about my just-turned-3 DS. With the lovely exception that because he is older and more verbal, the ear-piercing screaming about the breakfast (which he chose) was accompanied by him shouting at the top of his lungs: "No Mommy, no! I will tell you what is true! I will not eat it!" and then "I am hungry hungry hungry do you hear me now?!" ARGH!

Melbel
05-22-2009, 08:40 AM
DD1 was quite a challenge at that age too. She had a strange obsession with the lines on socks or tights (it had to be perfectly straight on her toes). To avoid power struggles, we gave her choices whenever possible (2 or 3 choices, any of which were acceptable to me). Once they made a choice, it was no longer up for discussion other than to say she could make the other choice next time. If it is something you do not want to negotiate or bend on (i.e. safety issues, dinner, etc.) it helped to stand firm every time. Consistency was key. It also helped to give 2 minute warnings when it was time to transition from one activity to another. DD1 was completely irrational when her blood sugar was low so we were always sure to have snacks on hand. Good luck! Hopefully it makes you feel a little better knowing that you are not alone!

Jo..
05-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Right there with you.:kisscheek:

eliasmom
05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Yep, it sucks. I ended up playing hardball. I normally give DS 3 options for breakfast. He chooses, and then if changes mind, I don't make anything else. He doesn't get to choose dinner, you eat what you have and if you don't eat then that's your choice, but I'm not a short order cook. There were some tears and some missed meals, but he didnt' starve.

:yeahthat: Meal times can be a real PITA, IMO. In my case, DH acts like DD will starve and seems to feel we should cater to her every food whim. I give her a few choices, she picks, she changes her mind... well, she can choose to eat what I made or not. Period.

One night, DD had the nerve, after rejecting what she had chosen for dinner, to try to narc me out to DH, crying: "Daddy, daddy, all I want is for Mommy to let me eat [insert name of food I had in fact made at her request]! Mommy won't let me!" Ummm, seriously? Not cool, DD, not cool.

gatorsmom
05-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I finally told her that she had a choice between 2 or she goes naked. She chose one finally.

At least she chose an outfit! Cha Cha is nearly 4 and still would prefer to be naked. He'd choose naked in this situation. In fact he's naked right now as I type this. sigh. it's just a phase, it's just a phase...

ha98ed14
05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I wish I had something hopeful to say, except that I could have written this exact post about my just-turned-3 DS. With the lovely exception that because he is older and more verbal, the ear-piercing screaming about the breakfast (which he chose) was accompanied by him shouting at the top of his lungs: "No Mommy, no! I will tell you what is true! I will not eat it!" and then "I am hungry hungry hungry do you hear me now?!" ARGH!

Believe it or not, THIS gives me hope. Here is my reasoning:

1) I believe you are not insane. My evidence is previous posts and the fact that you are self-reflective enough to frequent a board of other self-reflective moms. So I feel like, by group association, I am assured of your basic sanity.

2) What you quoted your son saying sounds completely insane. Since I believe you are sane, it follows that you are not lying. Your son really did say these things, however insane they may sound.

3) Odds are, your son is not insane. He is a toddler. Therefore, by extrapolation to the wider population, my daughter is probably not insane either. She is also a toddler.

4) Though I feel like I will lose my mind because of her changing her mind all. the. time. I probably won't. You didn't, so I have hope I won't either.

Thanks to everyone for your commiseration. I feel better knowing I'm not alone. :)

justincase
05-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Believe it or not, THIS gives me hope. Here is my reasoning:

1) I believe you are not insane. My evidence is previous posts and the fact that you are self-reflective enough to frequent a board of other self-reflective moms. So I feel like, by group association, I am assured of your basic sanity.

2) What you quoted your son saying sounds completely insane. Since I believe you are sane, it follows that you are not lying. Your son really did say these things, however insane they may sound.

3) Odds are, your son is not insane. He is a toddler. Therefore, by extrapolation to the wider population, my daughter is probably not insane either. She is also a toddler.

4) Though I feel like I will lose my mind because of her changing her mind all. the. time. I probably won't. You didn't, so I have hope I won't either.

Thanks to everyone for your commiseration. I feel better knowing I'm not alone. :)

:ROTFLMAO: Seriously, gasping for breath, nearly just peed. Although...

4)...You didn't...
Don't count on it! ;) At least we are all in good company.