PDA

View Full Version : soda stream at kohls

cchavez
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Does anyone have this? How much is it? Do you like it? I think I may get for for DH for Father's Day? Thanks!

ohiomom1121
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
We got my MIL the Penguin (made by Soda Club also, sold at Williams Sonoma) and she LOVES it. She pretty much only drinks sparkling water so it was perfect. I want to get one (the Fountain Jet-cheaper version at Kohls) but when I went back to pick it up all the soda stream stuff was gone. I wondered if they were still carrying it. They had it listed online for $79.99 but you know with Kohls there's usually some kind of sale. They still have the mixes online, but the actual machine hasn't been on for a while. It's $89.99 if you order it from the company directly, but there's $20 shipping.

Mermanaid
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I have never heard of this but am intrigued. How many "sodas" do you get out of one of the mixes?

ohiomom1121
05-21-2009, 03:44 PM
One bottle is supposed to make 12 liters. Here's a link to the website.
http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.aspx

infomama
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
My friend got this b/c they drink a lot of seltzer water. They mix also the seltzer with juices for a treat since they don't drink pop. She likes it a lot.

maestramommy
05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Another one who's never heard of this! Do you mean it turns regular water into soda water?

Melaine
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Ok this is super cool! I'm especially interested since it says none of their sodas contain high fructose corn syrup. I would love to hear more info from those of you who have seen it in action!

ohiomom1121
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Another one who's never heard of this! Do you mean it turns regular water into soda water?
Yep. My MIL just uses regular tap water. You can adjust how fizzy you want it to be by how many times you press a little lever. Here's a link where you can see a video of it in action. http://www.sodastreamusa.com/product_info.aspx# Scroll down a little and click video demo. I'm interested to hear if anyone has seen them at Kohls lately. I was waiting for a 30% coupon to buy one.

JElaineB
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Ok this is super cool! I'm especially interested since it says none of their sodas contain high fructose corn syrup. I would love to hear more info from those of you who have seen it in action!

I wonder why all the "regular" flavors contain Sucralose (Splenda) as well as sucrose (sugar) though? :confused:

TwinFoxes
05-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, now I totally want one of these! I've been out of soda for 3 days, but when I grocery shop with the twins I can only carry a basket, not push a cart, so it's hard to buy bottles of soda. I love fizzy water, so this is perfect.

gatorsmom
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Does anyone have this? How much is it? Do you like it? I think I may get for for DH for Father's Day? Thanks!

CChavez, I could KISS you! You've found me my Father's Day present for DH and FIL!!!! DH goes through wayyyyy too much soda each week. And FIL loves his soda and booze..:rolleye0014:(would this be considered enabling?) NOw I just have to decide which one to buy.....

goldenpig
05-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I got one for Christmas and it's great, I use it all the time. I got the Penguin one which is more expensive but uses glass bottles instead of plastic and each CO2 container makes 60L (I'm on my second one now). You use tap water and then press a lever several times to make it fizzy (more times=fizzier). I don't use the soda mixes (I don't like artificial sweeteners) but I sometimes add some juice to make a natural "soda" (grapefruit and pomegranate blueberry are my favorites). The nice thing is you don't have to buy, lug and recycle all those bottles of soda water anymore and you can make it anytime. Environmentally friendly and fun.

Twoboos
05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Ohhhh this is a great idea for DH! He's always complaining when we're out of "fuzzy water."

I always get the BEST gift ideas from you all!! :yay: :cheerleader1: :bowdown:

neeter
05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
this is awesome--- anyone know how the flavors taste (and do they taste similar to coke/sprite, etc etc...) thanks!

hellokitty
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I got one for Christmas and it's great, I use it all the time. I got the Penguin one which is more expensive but uses glass bottles instead of plastic and each CO2 container makes 60L (I'm on my second one now). You use tap water and then press a lever several times to make it fizzy (more times=fizzier). I don't use the soda mixes (I don't like artificial sweeteners) but I sometimes add some juice to make a natural "soda" (grapefruit and pomegranate blueberry are my favorites). The nice thing is you don't have to buy, lug and recycle all those bottles of soda water anymore and you can make it anytime. Environmentally friendly and fun.

Is it true that you need to mail back the CO2 cartridges in order to get a new one? That is one thing that has kept me from getting it, b/c it seems like it would get expensive to do that.

ohiomom1121
05-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Is it true that you need to mail back the CO2 cartridges in order to get a new one? That is one thing that has kept me from getting it, b/c it seems like it would get expensive to do that.

They actually come pick them up (you're supposed to set them on your porch I think?) and replace them. Some boat world and camping world stores now carry them too (you can search from your zip code on their site) Also if you get one that uses the same size cartridges as the Penguin, you can buy them at Williams Sonoma. My MIL said even with the cartridges it's much cheaper than buying sparkling water.

maestramommy
05-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I think I'm going to put this on my wish list for either bday or Christmas:D

hellokitty
05-22-2009, 08:17 PM
They actually come pick them up (you're supposed to set them on your porch I think?) and replace them. Some boat world and camping world stores now carry them too (you can search from your zip code on their site) Also if you get one that uses the same size cartridges as the Penguin, you can buy them at Williams Sonoma. My MIL said even with the cartridges it's much cheaper than buying sparkling water.

Ah, see, I live in the middle of the corn fields... so I don't think that picking them up or dropping them off at a store like WS (closest one is an hr away) would be an option for us. However, it's nice to hear that they do have other options than just mailing them in. I'm not even sure our Kohls' will carry the basic model, b/c all the big box stores in our area are kind of dumbed down...

first_timer
05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I wonder why all the "regular" flavors contain Sucralose (Splenda) as well as sucrose (sugar) though? :confused:

All of the regular flavors do include Splenda, so even the ones that aren't diet have that artificial sweetener flavor to them (IMO they taste the same as the diet flavors). I emailed the company and they have no plans on changing that anytime soon. It's too bad because we love the seltzer and would enjoy an occasional soda if they tasted better. When I ordered I got the soda starter kit, so we have a bunch of useless syrups. Like others mentioned we use fruit juices to flavor the water sometimes. Also the fruit essences they sell to make flavored seltzer are good, no sweeteners in them.
Despite the syrups we've really enjoyed the soda stream.

goldenpig
05-24-2009, 01:08 AM

Here is what it says on the SodaClub website:
Ordering full Exchange Carbonators requires that you currently have an equal number of empty Carbonators to return to Soda-Club. Your shipment will arrive via UPS and contain a pre-paid UPS return box intended for shipping the empty Carbonator(s) back to Soda-Club. Simply place the empty Carbonator(s) into the UPS return box and hand it to any UPS driver or drop off at an authorized UPS shipping location. For any questions, contact 1-800-SODACLUB.

It looks like it is about $15-30 for each carbonator depending on if it's an exchange or spare and 60 or 110L. I haven't had to ship mine back yet because mine came with 2 and I'm still on my 2nd one.

They have Splenda in all the Soda Club soda mixes including regular and tout them as "lower calorie" sodas but I agree the regular ones still taste like diet soda, so I don't use them. I rarely drink soda anyways. Perhaps you could buy regular soda mix syrup (real Coke syrup etc) and use that instead.