PDA

View Full Version : I hate my mattress...long vent!!!!

sidmand
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Okay, I need to get this out...I HATE our mattress!!!!!!!!!

I didn't expect any differently but was just told that after paying $35 for Serta to come inspect our mattress it doesn't sag "enough" for them to replace it. It needs to sag at least 1.5 inches and apparently the deepest sag was 1.125. Um, this is a brand-new mattress. ANY sag should be unacceptable.

We literally have the mattress turned sideways (king size mattress) because otherwise DH and I roll into each other during the night because of the sag in the mattress.

I received an oh so nice letter that says I can open a new claim in six months and pay again to have it inspected. I have no intention of having this mattress in six days let alone six months.

Are you kidding me? What happened to "the customer is always right?" What happened to standing behind your product? Most people seem to love their mattress so this one had to have been clearly defective but I had to wait almost a month for them to tell me it didn't sag enough and they're going to do nothing? I could have had good night's sleep a month ago? ARRRRGGGHHHH. I am so beyond furious!!! I paid over $1000 but am planning to throw this out. I don't know what else to do? It's seriously a piece of crap and I would rather sleep on the floor. And I tried to call them (they sent a letter to tell me they were denying this when they have my phone number and e-mail and could have let me know a few days ago at least?) and ALL of their customer service reps are undergoing training to "better serve their clients" and no one is available to take a call so call back tomorrow. Really? No one is there???

Yeah, so I left the house for racquetball like that (played really well since I was so mad!) but right before I left the power went out (and it's about 90 degrees out). When I got to the healthclub BOTH of my pairs of racquetball glasses broke. And then when I went to take a shower I had remembered everything I needed except I forgot my towel...

WatchingThemGrow
05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Our high-end mattress did the same thing - and I think it was over $2K. They said that it didn't sag enough - although DH and I lay in our own body ditches every night. I figure after this pregnancy, I'll have them come back out and there should be more sufficient damage done with all the extra weight. SOOOOO frustrating. Ours claims it is part of the design. I just don't see how not being able to roll over is a design feature.

ohiomom1121
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
We had the same problem with a $2K no flip set. They actually DID replace them but we definitely convinced the guys who came and did the measurements to accept it. (Ours was also bowing out at the sides, nice huh?) It's such a pain dealing with them!!! Good luck.

DebbieJ
05-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Buy a Sleep Number!

Corie
05-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Debbie,

We must have the same mattress set. DH and I have our own sags
that we get stuck in. It's like sleeping in a cocoon.

sidmand
05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Debbie,

We must have the same mattress set. DH and I have our own sags
that we get stuck in. It's like sleeping in a cocoon.

Yes! That's what it's like. How can that be the "natural" way the mattress is supposed to be and not enough to warrant replacement?

Before we turned it sideways I had to sleep on the lump in the middle because that was the only place there was no indent.

jal
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
...I didn't expect any differently but was just told that after paying $35 for Serta to come inspect our mattress it doesn't sag "enough" for them to replace it. It needs to sag at least 1.5 inches and apparently the deepest sag was 1.125. Um, this is a brand-new mattress. ANY sag should be unacceptable....

While I'm not saying that I disagree with you, a quick look on the Serta web site for Serta's warranty information does reveal that Serta has included sagging in their warranty information, and it does indeed say that the mattress has to sag more than 1.5" for it to be considered a defect.

Interestingly enough, their warranty also has what I would call a gross clause... basically if the mattress has become.... lets just say "soiled" (among other things).... the warranty is voided even if there is a manufacturing defect.

sidmand
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
While I'm not saying that I disagree with you, a quick look on the Serta web site for Serta's warranty information does reveal that Serta has included sagging in their warranty information, and it does indeed say that the mattress has to sag more than 1.5" for it to be considered a defect.

Interestingly enough, their warranty also has what I would call a gross clause... basically if the mattress has become.... lets just say "soiled" (among other things).... the warranty is voided even if there is a manufacturing defect.

I realize that...and think it's pretty standard, but I'm not sure what/how they're measuring and I'm going to guess that most of the time, even if it's close, they manage to readjust so that it doesn't meet their criteria and they don't have to replace anything. I roll into a body impression every night. Maybe that is within their "acceptable" range, however it is not with my acceptable range!

I also think that a brand new mattress shouldn't be able to come close to meeting that criteria and the fact that it does, after just a few months (and actually did from almost the day we got it), means that there is a defect in the product.

This mattress is basically absolutely useless to me. I would honestly rather sleep on the floor. At least I won't be rolling into an impression on the floor!

nellonello
05-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Buy a Sleep Number!:yeahthat:

Piglet
05-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Try to sell it on CL. I always see mattresses on CL (which makes me wonder how many people buy mattresses and hate them). I am shopping for a new mattress set and now I am scared! I really hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

AngelaS
05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
:yeahthat:

I agree. My bed sags--but only because I want it too. :P

gatorsmom
05-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you for letting me know this. I'd like to ask the others who posted here if they would tell us what kind of mattress they are unhappy with so that I can avoid those mattresses in the future! TIA!!!!

sidmand
05-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Try to sell it on CL. I always see mattresses on CL (which makes me wonder how many people buy mattresses and hate them). I am shopping for a new mattress set and now I am scared! I really hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

DH suggested that, but I thought it was illegal to sell a used mattress? Not sure I personally would want to buy a used mattress since who knows what might be on/in it (yuck!). And I wouldn't want someone else to get stuck with this, but maybe someone else wouldn't mind it as much as I do!?

lizscribe
05-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. My husband and I traded in our 3 year old sagging Serta (or Sealy? don't remember) king sized mattress about nine months ago when I was four months pregnant... I tried the have-the company-come-inspect-the-sags thing too; like you, mine was just not quite bad enough to merit a replacement. But the place where we bought it (Sleepys) did offer us a deep discount on a new one, so you could try asking for help. This time we tried a thicker Beautyrest. I have to say it also has dips from our body impressions after less than a year, and is not the kind you can flip. But it's much, much more comfortable, and I don't regret trading it in. My DH kept saying that the first one was what we deserved for cheaping out on the purchase the first time around -- but we didn't! That set was about $1300 on a serious sale. Buying a mattress is such a crapshoot. The only one I ever got right is now my guest room bed -- every time one of us is sick and that becomes the escape room, I am reminded of just how comfortable it is. Good luck to you.