PDA

View Full Version : Selling on eBay and Craig's List

ourbabygirl
05-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Inspired by Oprah's "What can you live without" episode yesterday, I'm wanting to make a bit of money and get rid of some of my stuff. I'd love to try selling it on eBay and/or Craig's List, but I'm intimidated.
Those of you who've used these sites to sell your own items, how do you recommend starting? Is it worth the hassle to take photos, create the postings, and ship off your stuff through eBay? Is it safe and not too time-consuming to post on Craig's List and stay home for people to come pick up? Or is it better to meet at a public place somewhere in between? How do you know how much to price things for? What items do you recommend selling? I have a bunch of purses in really good shape (including Coach) that I know for sure I could sell, along with other various apparel items and possibly baby clothes and gear.

Please share your experiences and expertise:tongue5:!

Thanks...:heartbeat:

smiles33
05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
I use eBay to sell more unique/rare/random items (ones that my local community of folks might not be as eager to buy), as there are seller's fees (e.g., posting fee, % of sale price, etc.). Plus, it's also a pain to ship items (though I use www.usps.com and print labels from home).

I use Craigslist for heavy items or common items, like selling old baby gear (e.g., high chair, bouncer, swing, Superyard and Kidco gates, etc.). Scope out your local Craigslist and see what sells. In general, baby gear sells well and certain kids' clothing (Gymbo for sure, not really much demand for used Children's Place or Old Navy clothes). I don't buy women's clothing on Craiglist so I have no idea if it sells well.

In the beginning, when I first started selling on Craigslist, I always met folks at the local BRU about 15 minutes from my home because I was paranoid of robber/home invasion/privacy in general. Now, as long as I'm only selling cheap baby stuff (like under $50), I just have them come to my house as it's a hassle waiting at BRU if someone doesn't show up (and be prepared for FLAKES who claim they'll show up and never do).

A couple Craiglist and Ebay pointers:

1) Take GOOD photos. People won't bid or drive a long way if you use a stock photo taken from a website. They want to see the condition of what you have. Craigslist allows 4 photos, unless you host them elsewhere and use HTML to paste them in.

2) Be specific if your item is in good shape (e.g., 2 years old, used with 1 child, small stain on bottom right side upon close inspection). Otherwise, I know I assume it's in less than ideal condition.

3) Be extra detailed when trying to selling name brand items. There are a LOT of fakes on eBay. If you sell your Coach stuff, you should specify that they are authentic (assuming they are) and list the ID number from the inside pocket AND include a photo.

4) Do some market research. I always check Craigslist/eBay for other similar items to see what others are selling them for. If another seller has the same item in better condition than yours but a cheaper price than you're willing to accept, wait until that listing is sold/expired. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time as savvy buyers will also do some research.

5) Specify payment terms (e.g., Cash only for Craigslist, Paypal OK for eBay).

6) For Craigslist, I'd create an account (free, just sign in w/an email address) because if an item doesn't sell in 7 days, you can click re-post in your account, as opposed to having to type everything out again.

Good luck!

DebbieJ
05-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I start with Craigslist now that Ebay fees are so atrocious.

TwinFoxes
05-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Smiles33, that was a very helpful post. I've never really considered selling stuff on ebay or CL, but this makes me think it might be worth the effort when the girls outgrow some of their gear. Thanks!

SammyeGail
05-21-2009, 11:04 PM
My thing on the Coach purses, do you have any old receipts? I am hesitant to list one on ebay because I can't find the receipt : (. Its a denim patchwork. I just want to prove its authentic. Not that I am going to post a pic of the receipt, just say I would provide a pic. So many fakes selling on ebay. If they are leather clean them up really well and put some leather conditioner on them, make them shine ; ).

On ebay, taking good pics is very key in my opinion. Sign up for auctiva.com, I like it so far.

Do advanced search and search completed listings for things you are wanting to sell, see which did well, which didn't and why.

I used to live in Birmingham, AL and the craigslist was great, here is Chattanooga its kind of crappy. I would try to meet in a neutral place or their place if its not too far out of the way. I personally wouldn't want someone coming to my house. I would rather drive to the closest store unless its something huge like furniture, big toys.

You'll get good advice from other mammas about ebay, I haven't sold alot, but the best advice I was given when being a 'virgin' seller was to list things you didn't really care how much you got for them, but send them off looking the best you can. I sold all my twins outgrown stride-rites. I did ok money wise! And got some very good feedback!

Good luck! Also look for advice about best times to sell things to get the most money.