PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose your pediatrician?

PCARN
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I posted previously regarding suggestions on how to find a pediatrician. So far I've interviewed four. There seems to be pros and cons to each (of course!). One dr. I met with I really liked but the problem is her waiting room is really small and there's only one (no seperate sick/well waiting areas). Another group that was recommended doesn't schedule prenatal consults but rather a tour of the office. Unfortunately I was told the soonest I could visit is in mid June. How did you decide on your pediatrician? Did having a seperate well/sick waiting room factor in w/your decision? Also would you recommend a small or large practice? Most of the practices in my area are large groups w/the exception of the pediatrician w/the small waiting area. It's just her and another dr. that works part time when she's not available.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.:)

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2009, 08:56 AM
The well/ sick thing was not a consideration for me. In my ideal world I would like a practice that schedules well child appointments at a totally different time of day so things could be cleaned between them but that is a lofty order. So, I just assume everything is germy even though our waiting room has 2 parts and use good hygiene. Bring your own toys, use your own pen, things like that if you are really worried. Odds are the shopping cart or elevator has just as many germs.

I think I said in the other thread that I narrowed my choices down by wanting a solo practice. My practice has one Dr. and one part time PA. It's worked well. I love calling and they know who we are. I went to a big practice for a few months when we moved to a new city and I just didn't like it. It was awfully bureaucratic with all of it's things like call in hours, what ped you could see, when they would see you. Plus I just didn't get a chance to build a relationship with anyone because if you have a sick child appt. you take whoever is free and because they are often more busy and can't spend as much time with you. ymmv though! Everyone i know uses and loves that practice (I say it's b/c they haven't tried mine though :)).

This wasn't a factor for me and I wouldn't have it be a deal breaker but ease of access physically to the building is something I now appreciate. The last practice I went to had metered parking in a lot behind the office building then a walk around the block, into the building and up the elevator. New practice has a small lot and it is probably 10 steps from car to street level front door. It's a dream. :)

I would look for a fit on big issues like bf'ing, vaccines, antibiotics...and let the other stuff play a smaller role.

Beth

wendibird22
05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
For us it was a mixture of recommendations from other parents, location, and our feeling about them after our prenatal visit. The one we selected is pretty close to home, only has one doc, one PA, and one LPN (we've met and seen all 3 and all are great and we are guaranteed on any well or sick visit to get someone who knows DD), only sees sick kids in the afternoon/well kids in the a.m. so if you are there with a well kid you know the waiting room is free of sick kids and sanitized from the night before, and are easy to get on the phone to speak with a nurse. What I like best is while I don't think we see eye to eye on 100% of things I always feel that they have genuinely listened to me and respect my opinion/choices as DDs parent. I have never left the office being made to feel guilty or inadequate. They are supportive of extended breastfeeding (I BF DD until 21mos) and delayed/selective vax, which were important to me. Again, they will express their opinions on getting DD vax'd on the recommended schedule but never, ever make me feel like a bad parent for choosing to spread them out.

I tell my friends looking for a ped to trust their gut. What I might find important is not necessarily what they will find important, but so long as you feel comfortable there and feel like you are being given the best care possible, that's what matters. And don't forget you can always change docs if you find you don't like who you initially chose. Sometimes you don't get a real good sense of an office until you've had a few visits and seen them interact with your child, answer your questions, etc.

wendibird22
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
The well/ sick thing was not a consideration for me. In my ideal world I would like a practice that schedules well child appointments at a totally different time of day so things could be cleaned between them but that is a lofty order. So, I just assume everything is germy even though our waiting room has 2 parts and use good hygiene. Bring your own toys, use your own pen, things like that if you are really worried. Odds are the shopping cart or elevator has just as many germs.

I think I said in the other thread that I narrowed my choices down by wanting a solo practice. My practice has one Dr. and one part time PA. It's worked well. I love calling and they know who we are. I went to a big practice for a few months when we moved to a new city and I just didn't like it. It was awfully bureaucratic with all of it's things like call in hours, what ped you could see, when they would see you. Plus I just didn't get a chance to build a relationship with anyone because if you have a sick child appt. you take whoever is free and because they are often more busy and can't spend as much time with you. ymmv though! Everyone i know uses and loves that practice (I say it's b/c they haven't tried mine though :)).

This wasn't a factor for me and I wouldn't have it be a deal breaker but ease of access physically to the building is something I now appreciate. The last practice I went to had metered parking in a lot behind the office building then a walk around the block, into the building and up the elevator. New practice has a small lot and it is probably 10 steps from car to street level front door. It's a dream. :)

I would look for a fit on big issues like bf'ing, vaccines, antibiotics...and let the other stuff play a smaller role.

Beth

Ha, ha, Beth...looks like we were posting the same thoughts at the same time!!

nrp
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
One dr. I met with I really liked but the problem is her waiting room is really small and there's only one (no seperate sick/well waiting areas).

I agree that the sick/well waiting room is pretty false security. My ped has them somewhat separated (no wall, just a barrier), but even when I'm in the "well" part, I still try to avoid having the kids play with the toys. So, if you like that ped a lot otherwise, I wouldn't let that alone deter you.

Karenn
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Word of mouth. I chose our first ped. poorly. There was one practice that everyone raved about. I thought their phone system was hard to navigate and unwelcoming so I wrote them off and chose another ped. that an acquaintance liked. Two years later we switched to the practice that everyone raved about and I haven't looked back. I just wish we'd started out with them.

Neither practice really has a well/sick child waiting area. In my current practice, it doesn't matter because I have never ever had to wait for more than a few minutes to see the doctor, or at least get into a room. I'd always spend at least 30 minutes, often more waiting at the old practice. The other thing I like about this practice is that we consistently see the same doc. He knows me and my kids and remembers us between visits. He's also very knowledgeable and never condescending. If I ask him a question, he gives me a thorough explanation, but doesn't ramble on forever using medical terms that are over my head.

I don't know what is considered a "large practice." There are six docs at this one. That's worked well. There are enough docs so that they are able to stay open with one doc on Saturday mornings. (We used this service often when DD was going through her ear infection stage!) Also, my doc has been able to easily consult with his colleagues when we've had a couple of quirky medical issues come up. I found that reassuring.

Oh, one other thing. The first practice made us drive to a lab across town for blood work. The second will do it right there in the office. That's worth it's weight in gold right there! Taking a infant to a lab full of sick grown ups was about the worst experience ever. It was shortly after that visit that DS ended up with a version of RSV. I don't think it was a coincidence!

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh, one other thing. The first practice made us drive to a lab across town for blood work. The second will do it right there in the office. That's worth it's weight in gold right there! Taking a infant to a lab full of sick grown ups was about the worst experience ever. It was shortly after that visit that DS ended up with a version of RSV. I don't think it was a coincidence!

Oh yes, hoe could I forget that?? We had to go to the lab for 2 different things (throat culture?? and a blood draw). Total PITA and something I wasn't expecting. I would be willing to travel for a blood draw if needed but it would be awesome if we didn't have to. I have only had that 1 time we needed the blood draw so I am not sure if it would factor into my final choice.

Beth

PCARN
05-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks ladies so much for your replies. You gave me a lot to think about. I guess there are pros and cons w/a solo practice vs. a larger group. I agree that it's best to get to know one particular dr. The upside of a larger group is availablity and the larger groups seem to have longer office hours, some including both weekend days and holidays. More things to take into consideration! Have you also taken into consideration the years of experience a dr. has? Again, pros and cons w/a dr. that's been practicing for many years and may not be up to date w/things vs. someone w/not as much experience. The reason I brought up the sick/well waiting areas is that a lot of practices in my area seem to have it w/the exception of a few places. I know it's not a reason to choose a dr. but if it came down to two potential dr's and that was the only difference between the two, I would choose the one w/the seperate waiting areas. Another thing that doesn't seem to be common around here (which I'm not happy about) that you've mentioned is having a lab in the office. Of the dr's I met w/I'd have to go to a local lab which I was disappointed to hear.

Thank you again so much for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Hope you have a great holiday weekend! :)

HIU8
05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
My OB gave me some recommendations. Plus, I got some recommendations from friends and neighbors. We interviewed 5 practices (no solo practices though). We went with the one we felt the most comfortable with (with regard to their physicians, policies, hours, location etc....). Turns out that the majority of DS's preschool also goes to this practice and my cousins went there when they were children (only 1 ped is still there from that time though). Our ped does not have separate sick and well areas (doesn't matter b/c DC are going to get sick no matter what it seems). They also do not send you to a lab for anything--they do it right there. The biggest plus for us is that the ped we choose to see most often we really really really like and trust. That in itself actually trumps a lot of the other stuff for me.

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Unless they segregate the exam rooms too for healthy and sick you aren't gaining anything by having separate waiting areas. Then you need to take into account that people can be incubating and spreading germs long before they show signs of an illness so that well child may in fact be sick. I personally don't see a lot of benefit to the 2 waiting areas.

As for years of practice? Well, it could be said that a newer Dr. could be up on the latest research b/c they just finished but there are plenty of older peds that stay current and plenty of younger ones that do not. I would not use years of practice in deciding. I'd rate bedside manner and overall feel of competence and respect higher. I learned my lesson about newer not = up to date with my OB practice with ds1; the young Dr. from the Bay Area was absolutely dismissive of many of the things I was hoping for in childbirth and admitted to just liking interventions (aka, not using them as needed but just as a matter of routine). I was disappointed. The old male OBs in the practice were at very different ends of the spectrum than her.

I wouldn't stress a whole, whole ton about the choice because you can always switch. I'd pick someone bf'ing friendly if you plan to do that. I'd ask them why and when they recommend supplementing- that answer will give you a good idea about how knowledgeable and supportive they are of bf'ing and you can narrow it down further. Vaccines and bf'ing are going to be the biggest issues in the beginning so being in respect about the choices is what will matter (of course, you could be like me and just do my own research about parenting choices and nod along with them and say you want some more time to think about something if they are pressuring you to make a decision you aren't sure about).

Beth

seedoubleyou
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Our current ped is a recommendation.

Our last ped was selected by us, he's a great doc, the most popular in the clinic but DH and I were miffed he didn't spend enough time with us, he'd leave whenever he thought we had no more questions to ask. Because of his popularity he sees like 4 kids at the same time slot. While 1 kid is being attended to, the others get pacified by nurses or just put on hold for a long time. We don't like waiting for more than 15 mins so it prompted us to seek another.

andrewsmom
06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
My biggest concideration was who would answer the exchange line. Most offices in my area use the local childrens hospital answer line. These people have never met your child. the office we went with has one of the nurses take home the exchange phone every night. Although they may not know my child they do have the same ideas about medicine as the doctor I took so much time to find.

Kestrel
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Who answered phone calls was a big deal to us. At the pratice we choose, the phone is answered by the RN, but the other local office it was answered by a _receptionist_ and/or nursing assistant (CNA). Maybe I'm a snob, but this first-time mommy will go for the higher-ranking person!
They also have a lactation consultant who works in the office as well.
Another thing to think about is how popular the doc is. The one we choose is so great... but I have to schedule well child checks three months in advance, or see someone else in the practice.

Also, though this is a ways down the line, I wanted a Doc the was the same gender as my child. (When I found out I was having a son, we got a male doc.) I think this will be important later, some things a guy won't tell a gal!

allangering
08-18-2009, 08:22 AM
If this doctor retires anytime soon then I will have to ask around to find out about the other doctors within this practice or maybe even some in a nearby town. We have seen some of the others during the occassional sick visit, but not enough to really judge how good they are. It just seems like everytime we pick out a doctor they either retire, move, or just quit practicing.I couldn't be happier. Our entire family sees him now, and the children just love him! If I didn't like him so much, myself, I think I would start wishing he would have chosen to specialize in peds. But, i do enjoy having one provider for our entire family.