PDA

View Full Version : Small train table?

keschy
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I was planning on getting a costco train table (used) but just found out it is 49x35. I think it is just too big for our house. Does anyone know of a train table that is smaller than that but still big enough to be fun? Thanks!

JTsMom
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Kidkraft makes smaller ones, but honestly, I'd skip it. Anything smaller than a regular sized table is going to be too small to build much of a track layout on- even the regular sized ones limit your options. The floor would be much easier to use.

Momof3Labs
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
ITA - anything smaller is useless for trains as it really limits what can be built on it. By 3yo, both of our boys had moved their train set-ups to the floor as they just didn't have enough room on the table any more.

new_mommy25
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd skip the train table and just have the pieces accessible. Make the pieces near an open space of floor for your DC to build on. Then spend the money on a small table and chairs for coloring. I love the train table but anything smaller than the Thomas/Kidkraft size would be a waste.

sail731
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
We often set ours up on either the floor or the coffee table.

brittone2
05-22-2009, 08:11 PM
ITA w/ PPs 100%. Sometimes it is hard for me to fit a layout on the Costco Kidkraft table (which we like). I'd just have DC spread out on the floor rather than size down, or have a regular coffee table and just make sure they know it will only fit a very simple oval or very basic layout.

Smaller would border on almost useless, IME.

nfceagles
05-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree with pp's. We have an oversized one that works better than the standards. If you're handy maybe you can do what we did. My DH put two sheets of wood together with hinges, painted them green, and added some trim molding to the edges to form a lip. On the underside, there are some pieces of felt covered wood attached that match the shape of our coffee table (so it doesn't shift around). We set it on top of our table, but can fold it up and put it out of the way when we aren't using it.