PDA

View Full Version : I've had a bad week. Need to vent.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Ds has been difficult all week. Not his fault he's just 3, no big suprise really. It's taken me over an hour to get home from school/mil's area the past two days due to traffic and accidents and this morning the interstate was tied up also. Did I mention the baby screams when the car isn't in motion? She screamed for a hour today in the car and ds decided to help her on occasion with that glass shattering dolphin impression that only 2/3 year olds can do.

Add to this the ongoing fact that i still don't have my car back and am still driving the rental that I'm being oh so careful with, the kids can't really eat or drink in it so yeah-everyone's hungry and thirsty.

Add to this the fact that dh's digetive system seems to be falling apart and after 2 x-rays showing a shadow in the bottom of his right lung he had a cat scan today which came back normal. The doctor put him on paxil for anxiety. So he was on it for a week or so and she pulled him off of it because it rasied his blood pressure to 140/80. And she diagnosed him with ibs and he's still eating things that he shouldn't so I get to hear him moan and groan his way around the house.

Get up off the couch-groan
walk verrrry slowly to the bathroom-moan
spend 20 minutes in the bathroom

did I mention I can hear what's going on in the bathroom when I'm in the family room? This kind of thing has been going on for over a month-needless to say I'm not exactly brimming with excitement for bedroom activities.

Honestly I wish he'd just get over all the stuff causing his anxiety but i know better than that from listening to so many women on this board who have anxiety. I know you can't just calm yourself down but good god--he's yelling at the children and it's beginning to affect our marriage.

And to top it all of of course the doc took him off the paxil and said that all the meds would do that to his blood pressure and there weren't any others he could take. And he just accepted her decision on that. No question asked. No thought as to how his anxiety might be affecting us or our family. I'm not happy about it.

I finally called my best girlfriend and told her I needed to go out for drinks tomorrow night. I can't wait to get to the martini bar.

tnrnchick74
05-22-2009, 05:25 AM
It sounds like to me a long sit down discussion is needed. And that MD needs to come live at your house for a bit! Um, there are meds that will help with the BP. You look at the risks of being on a med vs the risks of not being on a med. I think the risks to your house, marriage, family FAR outweigh a high BP that can be easily treated with a low dose BP med. And then he could take antidepressants too and everyone would be happy!

HUGS - take your twisty straw to the martini bar...they really like that! And key lime pie martinis ROCK!

Snow mom
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd let the kids eat in the rental. Just give it a quick vacuum before you return it. Seriously, it sounds like keeping a car that isn't yours crumb-free is not a top priority right now.

niccig
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Hugs.
First, don't worry about the car. Small potatoes - let them have cheerios and water - no stains and just crumbs to vacuum up.

2nd - is DH seeing a therapist re. the Anxiety issues? A friend has IBS and when she's stressed/anxious it really flares up. So coming to grips with the anxiety should be priority number one. But I know guys won't go to Dr.'s willingly. Can you go to the next appointment and discuss your concerns re. impact on family? My Dad has some issues with stress/anxiety and his Dr. has my mother attend appointments as well to get the full picture.

I hope the weekend is better for you.

gatorsmom
05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Hugs.
First, don't worry about the car. Small potatoes - let them have cheerios and water - no stains and just crumbs to vacuum up.

2nd - is DH seeing a therapist re. the Anxiety issues? A friend has IBS and when she's stressed/anxious it really flares up. So coming to grips with the anxiety should be priority number one. But I know guys won't go to Dr.'s willingly. Can you go to the next appointment and discuss your concerns re. impact on family? My Dad has some issues with stress/anxiety and his Dr. has my mother attend appointments as well to get the full picture.

I hope the weekend is better for you.

I agree with the cheerios and water in the car. The car rental place won't charge you for the cheeiros. And as for DH, can you try to stock "bowel-friendly" foods around the house? I have IBS and will snack on starchy things when I"m stressed which does me NO good. So, I just can't buy that stuff. If the IBS is undercontrol, that would relieve some of the issues.

Hope things improve for you soon!

misshollygolightly
05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Absolutely--time to start bringing some snacks in the rental car (you can always vacuum later, or even put some towels down to protect the seats, but anything that can ease that long car ride is well worth it at this point. Btw, I can relate to the screaming baby in motionless car thing. Still haven't completely solved that problem, but DS is now old enough that I keep a few toys JUST for the car (his FP phone, some teethers, a mirror he can see himself in, etc.) and that plus an extra pacifier is usually enough to see us through most car trips without major drama these days. As for the rest of it--I don't (thank God!) have much personal experience with IBS, but some of the PP's suggestions sound reasonable. Enjoy the martinis and evening out--sometimes the best solution really is just to take a little break from everything. Hmm...I could use one right about now! :-)

StantonHyde
05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Keep looking for another med for DH--something REALLY will work. Was he seeing a psychiatrist or an internist/family practice person? Get in to a good psychiatrist and they will figure out meds that work for him. And he really should NOT be eating anything bad for him--get it out of the house.

AND--make sure you have several martinis--pump and dump!!!!!