PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask at hospital tour re:c-section

Sugar Magnolia
05-22-2009, 09:39 AM
We have a tour of the hospital I will be delivering at schedule for next week. There is a possibility I will have a c-section this time around and have no idea what type of questions to ask. I want to be prepared, so I thought I would come here and ask you all what I should ask.

What do I need to know? Thanks!

newg
05-22-2009, 11:14 AM
is your husband allowed in....camera or video camera allowed (assuming you want them!).....how will they stitch you back up.....where will you recover....do you have to watch/can you choose not to watch or watch........

I'm sure there are some better questions out there........we never made it to our hospital tour because dd was so early so my questions may have been answered had we made it!! I had a semi-emergency csection with dd and never got to ask any questions....except to tell them I did not want to watch at all..just tell me what they are doing and when they are done......already had an epidural so that was how I got my pain med....and I know dh had a camera only because I have pictures of dd right after she was born!.....dh almost didn't get to come in because it was a semi-emergency...

good luck!!

sariana
05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
How soon will you get to be with the baby? Will your husband get to be with the baby from the start?

After my c-section I was in recovery for over an hour. I was bored out of my mind. I wish I had known what to expect. Fortunately I knew DH was with our baby girl the whole time.

Oh, and I am not a meds person. I said I didn't need any more pain meds. Had I known I was going to have to roll to the side and pull myself onto the bed, I would have said give me another epi! It was sheer agony. They said, "We didn't realize you were in so much pain!" I wasn't until you made me move!

ahrimie
05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I'd also ask what kind of room you'll be staying in and for approx. how many days. Sometimes the rooms they show you aren't always the rooms you'll get. Ask if your DH can stay the night with you (if you want that) and when/if your children can come.

Our hospital also had a snack crate that was wheeled around 24/7. I'd ask if you are hungry at non-meal times if there is anything available. :)

scrooks
05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
All the above questions are good. I had an unplanned Csection with DD. DH was allowed in the delivery room but not until I was all prepped. DH was able to hold her and watch them weight her etc. as they stiched me up. Also, they handed DD to me as I was wheeled out to recovery. They said she had to leave the room with me? It was good though. Once in recovery I was able to try to nurse right away. And she was with me for a good while when family came through quickly to see her (it was 4 am!). Then they took her for a couple of hours to examine her in the nursery. At that point I was able to get an hour or 2 of sleep. You may ask how soon you will be able to nurse (if choosing to nurse).

KrisM
05-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Figure out what's important to you. For me it was:

- can I hold the baby prior to him/her being cleaned up and weighed?
- can I have a mirror to watch the c-birth?
- do I have to have another adult in the room with me for 24 hours if the baby is there (some require it and some don't)?
- can people visit during recovery? (DD was born at 6:15pm and DS1 was able to come with my parents that night while I was still in recovery. If he hadn't been able to come then, it wouldn't have been until morning, since it would be too late for him).
- questions about the diet you will be on. I insisted on regular food right away, as I had that after DD and recovery was so much easier with actual calories for energy!

sste
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Great responses. I will add "do you have a velcro binder for recovery." This is this thing you wrap around your torso - - I think you have to wait a day or so to use it. It is AWESOME.

egoldber
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Like others have said, I would ask about their standard procedures. They vary so much from hospital to hospital. Also, know that your OB can override almost any protocol with written orders. Things like being NPO until you have gas/bowel movement can be changed with doctor's orders.

I would also make sure to ask about their anesthesia protocols. There are many things they give "standard" (like an anti-anxiety med in your IV when they close you up after baby is out) that you may not necessarily want.

maydaymommy
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
DEFINITELY that question about can you hold the baby right away, and how long will you be in recovery. I had no problems with my C-section, BUT I was in recovery for what seemed like an eternity and they wouldn't give me the baby in there.

Good luck!