PDA

View Full Version : I think I "need" just one more stroller, but which one?

mommydot
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a 2.5 y.o. DD who is a big walker and refuses to ride in a stroller anymore. I will also have a newborn at the end of June.

Here's what I have currently: a Snap n Go that I love, a Maclaren Techno XT, an Inglesina Swift that I love as a car stroller, and a 2006 Bumbleride flyer that I hate, hate, hate. (the ride is terrible, the brakes are always getting stuck, it's huge and hard to fold. I just hate it.)

What I want is a stroller with a nice smooth ride that I can get down the four stairs in front of my townhouse easily. I'll be on maternity leave for five months, and during that time I'll be taking my babe and my dog on at least two long walks a day. I'd like a good canopy and a smooth ride, though I don't want a behemoth stroller. I'd really love a bassinet for the little one,too.

My husband really wants a bugaboo, and I was thinking about getting a Cameleon with a buggy board for my DD, and selling my Techno and Flyer. Found a relatively good deal on albeebaby, but still having a little bit of sticker shock. Then it occurred to me that with DD #1, I switched to a lightweight stroller pretty quickly and never looked back. So maybe I don't really need the Bugaboo (which I was thinking as more of a do-everything kind of stroller) and maybe I should be looking more at something like a BJCE or BJCC??

I was stuck on the reversible handle, but if I have a bassinet for the first few months, maybe the reversible thing won't matter as much? Can I use a buggyboard on a jogging stroller?

So what do you think, folks? BJCE with a bassinet and keep the techno for my car/trip stroller? Or go with my original plan to sell the Techno and flyer and go for the Bugaboo? Or is there some other option I'm missing?

(I should also add that we're giants. :) My husband is 6'6", I am 5'10", and my DD has been off the charts since soon after birth. So whatever I buy need to accomodate tall pusher and tall rider!)

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise! (and for enabling me. :))

AnnieW625
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Check out the Uppa Baby Vista, it's $650 vs. the $900 for the Bugaboo. We bought ours used on Craigslist for $400 (including the $40 Graco carseat adaptor) so you might want to look there too. We bought it back in January when DD all of a sudden started protesting sitting in our Dreamer Design jogger (bad strap design so straps were too tight) and she really likes it. She is 38" tall now and still fits fine. We also like that the seat reclines and even at her age it still reclines well for her. We also love the telescoping handlebar, which has three settings. The bassinet is included in the price, and the stroller will take a toddler board so it will be perfect for when we decide to have a second child. I like the fabric more than the cameleon (and the 2009 is suppose to have even nicer fabric!). I will say that the handlebar isn't reversable, but the seats are and they come off very easily. The fold takes a while to get used to, but it's easy once you get the hang of it. I also love the interchangable tires and the stroller does well on 3 mile walks.

Check it out on Uppababy.com .

arivecchi
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
if you are a tall family, I would go for the BJCE. Adjustable handle, super tall seats, great for newborns (using a bassinet or a snuzzler or a car seat adapter w/car seat + AWESOME canopy). I'm not sure about the 4 steps though. I would think both the Bugaboo and the BJCE would be a bit heavy to lift up and down 4 steps. I'm pretty sure you can attach a kiddie board to both of those strollers, but other posters can probably comment on that.

AnnieW625
05-22-2009, 02:48 PM
When we were looking at strollers in Jan. we asked about a stroller board for the BJ series stroller and the store said that BJ didn't make a board for their strollers. You might be able to find an after market one though.

WatchingThemGrow
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a board on my Bugaboo and one on my BJCED (the Valco HitchHiker), but I haven't used the one on the BJ besides the initial trip around the block.

I'm picturing the dog leash, the baby, the toddler too(?), the steps 2x/day...wow! Since the Bugaboo does require two hands for assembly, you may find it more challenging unless you've got a plan for who comes downstairs first and who waits where... The Bugaboo board leaves more headroom for your older DD, if she chooses to ride on the board. Mine does it only sometimes. She's a big stroller-lover, so I'm going to have a hard time getting her to actually walk when #3 is here in the next few weeks. I have a feeling DS1 will be on the board and she'll be reclined in the BJ seat with the canopy fully over her. Can you try out a BJCE anywhere?

edurnemk
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Check out the Uppa Baby Vista, it's $650 vs. the $900 for the Bugaboo. .

I love, love, love my Vista and I recommend it to everyone, but be sure to check the seat back height and the canopy height. I feel tall children will outgrow it soon, my DS is 16 months old, he's a 45% percentile in height and the canopy is only a couple of inches above his head. Other than that I love it, I walk everywhere everyday and take it down 3 steps outside my building, the big tires make it very easy, because you kind of roll it up and down the steps.
It's not lightweigth but I like it so much I don't mind, and use it even for car trips and at the mall. If you'll be taking long walks outside you should really consider air tires or foam filled tires, it makes the stroller heavier but it's really worth it.

AnnieW625
05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Elisa's head is quite near the top of the Vista, but it doesn't seem to bother her much at all; she usually sits all the way up and holds the bar so head isn't fully touching the bottom of the canopy.

zag95
05-23-2009, 12:59 AM
We are tall- I'm 5'11" and DH is 6'1" (and I have a tall brother and dad around 6'5"- we recently purchased the BJCC single AT stroller for our neighborhood walks etc. To add to our stroller collection of the Mac Quest. We are totally impressed with the BJ, esp considering I couldn't try one out prior to purchasing. The BJ seems to be accommodating for the taller child- and since DD has been in the 95% and above for height, I wanted to have something that would grow with her (and our future DC #2!)

Love the ease of the adjustable handlebars, and how easy it is to push! My mom even found an older model off craigslist and picked up up- she loves the fold- and both she and dad are sold on the nice handlebar height (you know what we mean!:ROTFLMAO:)

GL on the hunt!

mommydot
05-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!!

I'm glad to hear the BJCC/CE are accomodating to the tall, young and old! I guess I didn't realize the bassinet was so expensive, though, and when you add the buggyboard, I'm looking at about as much as the Uppa Baby or an older Bug.

Which means I have to actually make a choice. :) I'm off to find somewhere in the area where I can try a Baby Jogger, and will probably let my gut decide. Glad to hear that I have some good options to choose from.

Thank you again, everyone! I'll let you know what I decide....

mommydot
05-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Just a quick update--I went to BBB today and tested out a bunch of strollers again. After playing with the BJCC, the Bug, and the Uppa Baby, I came away overwhelmed with how huge everything feels. Not neccessarily that heavy, but just large. The Vista in particular--I just can't see myself using it a lot after the baby is out of newborn stage--I just hate lugging big strollers around.

And yet, I still think I really want a bassinet, and bigger, smoother tires for those first few months while I'm home. I did really like the Bugaboo Bee, which surprised me, but I don't like how low it is to the ground, and have heard mixed reviews of its durability and ride on pavement.

I just saw on albee baby that the 2008 Quinny Buzz is on sale for really cheap--I'm now thinking that may be the way to go. I've heard great things about the carrycot for the Buzz, and the ride. I know it's no lighter (maybe even heavier?) than the bug and the Vista, but for some reason it felt like the footprint was smaller. PLus, I can deal with a stroller not being perfect if I can spend $400, not $700. Then after a year, when I no longer need the bassinett or reversible feature, I can sell it in favor of a BJCM.

Anyone have a Buzz they love or hate? Know if you can attach a buggyboard?

strollerqueen
05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
A 4-wheeler is MUCH easier to bump up and down stairs. A 3-wheeler is nearly impossible. You may have to bring the stroller down first, then go back up and get your baby. Also, the Bug Frog is now $629. It is very similar to the Cam, just that the seat is a little smaller. But, by the time your baby outgrows it, you may feel like selling it and getting something different anyway.

strollerqueen
05-30-2009, 02:18 PM
The Buzz is a very cool stroller. It does feel bigger to me than the Frog, though. Weight wise, I think it is 26 pounds, vs. the Frog's 23 pounds. And the 4-wheeler is 28 or 30, have to check my review. But it is a really fun stroller to push; has a different feel. Also, the handlebar goes really tall; I think you and your DH would be comfortable with it. Finally, the newer ones comes with two seats...a wonderful plush one for little babies, then a bigger, bare-bones one for toddlers. Great idea! I don't know if the Albee ones comes with them though, you have to check.

jacksmoma
05-30-2009, 06:18 PM
A buzz for the first year the a bjcm would be perfect- that's pretty much what i did for my first. You could even just do the bjcm with a belly bar and pop the car seat on that so baby can face you the first few months (that's what i'm doing for my newborn, it's fab!!) Or just lay your newbie flat in the seat- you can see them REALLY well thru the two windows and the mesh back of the seat. If you're planning on walking much outside though the mini is a bit rough as it is more of a umbrella type of stroller made for mostly indoors. we have a bj city classic double too and love it for outside walks :) I just LOVE how my new daughter can lay on her side when either of these strollers are fully reclined.