PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Works playset question

bugglemom
05-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a 2 year old and almost 6 year old. Thinking of getting a cedar works Right now I am looking at the Classic Climber. but I am wondering about a couple of things:

1> aren't those round rungs on the ladders (either along the sides or on the leaning ladder) very slippery? I so wish they made flat step ladders....

2. The Sure Step system looks like there would be very little space, lots of twisting and turning and lots of opportunity for a little guy to bump his head going up.

There is a lot I like about these sets but, for that kind of money, I want to be sure.....

thanks, ladies!

AngelaS
05-22-2009, 08:53 PM
The round rungs haven't been a problem here and we've had our set since my oldest was 17 months old--she's almost 11.5 now. She and her two little sisters AND our 130lb dog all use the Sure Step system (My oldest generally uses the ladders now tho). :)

If you want something flat for them go to up, get a Rascal Ramp. I'm thinking my dog would prefer that. :D

The kids learn quickly how to avoid bumping their heads. Honestly, I can only think of about ONE time that one of my kids (or their friends) have ever fallen and cried while playing on our CW. Not a bad track record for a toy that's pushing 10 years old!

bugglemom
05-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks Angela!

So, is there enough room in there for the older kids to use the sure step if they want? Will my average size 6 year old boy fit?

I would get a ramp too but I have a long and narrow yard so I need to have everything in a line, as opposed to making an l-shape with the set. With the slide coming off one side and the swings off the other, I cant get a ramp in there unless it is perpendicular and that wont fit.

And, if you dont mind me asking, what components do you have?

AngelaS
05-23-2009, 06:37 AM
He could probably get up the Sure Steps, but truly, he's old enough to safely climb up the ladders too. :)

I have a Jungle, CW Slider, 2 position overhead ladder and a rock wall. :)

bugglemom
05-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, what I didn't mention is that my 6 year old has gross motor delays and has decreased coordination and strength as compared to peers. It's nothing awful or obvious but I could see him struggling wiyh the ladders. That's why I was wondering if he could fit in there to use the sure step if he needs to.
thanks for all thre info

AngelaS
05-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I bet he could. :) I think that having the climber will definitely help with his gross motor skills too. :D

LBW
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
My 6-year old uses the sure steps sometimes. He's tall and ~60 lbs. Hope that helps!

brittone2
05-27-2009, 07:04 PM
The round rungs haven't been a problem here and we've had our set since my oldest was 17 months old--she's almost 11.5 now. She and her two little sisters AND our 130lb dog all use the Sure Step system (My oldest generally uses the ladders now tho). :)

If you want something flat for them go to up, get a Rascal Ramp. I'm thinking my dog would prefer that. :D

The kids learn quickly how to avoid bumping their heads. Honestly, I can only think of about ONE time that one of my kids (or their friends) have ever fallen and cried while playing on our CW. Not a bad track record for a toy that's pushing 10 years old!

I can still picture the pic of your (awesome) dog that you linked to, hanging out on the CW set :) That cracks me up :ROTFLMAO:

AngelaS
05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
What can I say? Ours isn't loved just by children... LOL :D

brittone2
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
What can I say? Ours isn't loved just by children... LOL :D

They should totally pay you money for your ringing endorsements here and your adorable doggy photos :D

AngelaS
05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I wish! LOL

bugglemom
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I was going to get the basic climber......these are so expensive that i am really pushing the limit with that! But my concern is that it will be too small for my oldest (a 6 year old boy), if not now, then before long. I know the height of the peak is 5 feet, which is fine, but with the side sloping down like that, it seems like it could be very tight up there unless you are a very little child.....anyone have a climber with older kids? thanks!

AngelaS
06-01-2009, 04:29 PM
We have a jungle and my 11, 7 and 4 yo dds all hang out up there together. :)

LBW
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
We have a jungle, too.

bugglemom
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
And both of you with the jungle: is it the standard height version or the taller one? And does it seem enormous? I wish there was some place I could go to see these in person. The jungle looks so massive in photos.....thanks

AngelaS
06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Our is the standard height and no, it's really not that ginormous. :)

justlearning
06-02-2009, 07:19 AM
The size of the jungle (4' x 6') is not big at all. Our Rainbow clubhouse is about 5 1/2' x 5' and seems just right--definitely not large, more on the small side IMO.. If you'd like to get an idea of what the size is like, you can look at any playset (e.g., at Costco, Sams Club) and compare the dimensions of their forts on top to the dimensions you're considering from Cedarworks. That should help you visualize it better.

I've never seen a Cedarworks in person and I'm guessing that you are definitely wanting only that brand, but Rainbow does have taller forts if that's a concern for you. Ours has 6'5" standing height at the peak, which is nice because I can completely stand up in there and move around without any problems (I'm 5'9"). And if money is a concern, there are rainbow playsets all the time on craigslist (where we bought ours)--here's an example of a $500 one I saw yesterday in our area: http://denver.craigslist.org/bab/1199543136.html I've never seen a Cedarworks set on our craigslist, though, but perhaps they're more popular on the east coast.

Good luck with your decision!

LBW
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Ours is the standard-height jungle. It seems larger than the Costco Rainbow set, but not by too much.

You can see a CW set in person through the See-a-Set program (look under CedarInfo on their website). That's what we did, and it was a huge help in deciding what to order.