PDA

View Full Version : The srap struggle! HELP ME!!!!

ellier
05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi, I have a two year old son and I just can't keep him strapped in his stroller/ high chair / car seat. Every time we want to do anything, there is always a fuss, kicking , screaming, until we can finally wrestle him in and strap him in. This has all been okay and ive managed to put up with it for the last six months however....

Recently he has started actually undoing the straps and getting out, or pushing upwards out of the shoulder harnesses. No matter how many times i strap him back in, he jumps straight out again.

Does anyone have any advice, any more advance / stronger harnesses i can use, does anyone else suffer from this! A friend of mine still uses her stroller, and her twins are 12. One has always loved being strapped in and happily jups straingh in the chair, but the other one, jack, has to be wrestled in and held down!!

Any advice would be most appreciated, THANKYOU!!!!

3isthelimit
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I had the same problem with our 2.5 y/o coming out from under the straps in the car seat. No matter how tight I adjusted or what I threatened, she kept taking them off. The last trip to the pediatrician's office, I asked for advice. She, very calmly and sternly, told DD "you HAVE to stay under the straps." Now, every time DD tries to wriggle out, I remind her of what the doctor told her about the straps. It has worked for us so far!! Maybe you could get yours to do the same?
HTH!!
Amanda

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
12 yos still in a stroller? Not a likely goal to reach.

Most of my friends transitioned out of things like high cairs and strollers by 2.5yo. At that age you can try to encourage them to walk with you or sit properly in a booster seat at the table.

Sometimes it can just be a phase and they go back to being cooperative. I'd ride it out and see how it goes but start thinking of the next things you can do since he is growing up. I know I am not the total norm on these boards b/c we really didn't use the stroller much past 20 months with ds1 and I have no plans to still be pushing a stroller when ds2 is 3+yo.

Beth

KrisM
05-25-2009, 06:01 PM
By age 2, my kids were mostly out of a stroller. When DD is in it now, we don't strap her in. They were out of high chairs/ boosters then, too. In the car, right around age 2 is when they could start doing the chest strap themselves and that made it better.

I don't think you'll get to age 12, either :).

neeleymartin
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Does anyone have any advice, any more advance / stronger harnesses i can use, does anyone else suffer from this! A friend of mine still uses her stroller, and her twins are 12.

is this a typo? 12!!! what stroller could accommodate that weight? am i crazy.

wish i had advice. sorry i don't.